got a ticket leaving Nisie showoff...

Anything about cars, as long as it's clean...
No offensive language, no profanity, no nudity, nothing that your mom will slap you for...
Be nice to others.
Big Mike Socal Muniz
Club4AG Regular

Re: got a ticket leaving Nisie showoff...

Postby Big Mike Socal Muniz » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:58 pm

mikeyee wrote:fffffffuuuuuuuuuuu.

have you considered looking into registering the car with family/friend out of state and forgetting all of this CA emissions BS?

Unfortunately, the only family that I have that lives out of Cali lives in Alaska. I don’t want to burden any of my out of state friends with my cars registration. I had a buddy a few years back (before the pre-75 non tested law) that lived in Oregon. He let me register my 5 Mango’s 1 peanut and 1 Corolla liftback to his house… A few years later we had a falling out, and our friendship stopped. It was such a hassle to get all my registration for those cars sorted out and transferred back to Cali…Don’t want to do that again…
Big Mike Muniz
73 TE27 w/monster port 12A roadrace car.
73 TE27 RHD LEVIN "L'L MANGO"
72 RHD late model Truneo
72 RHD rare early Trueno
82 Porsche 928 Boeing powered "Jet Car"
96 Twin Turbo alcohol Pro Street Impala SS

Red
Club4AG Expert

Postby Red » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:29 pm

Mike, if you think you have trouble now, don't even think about getting an out of state registration. Every state is wise to that, and if your car is "in state" for more than whatever the limit is there (90-183 days in most states) you must register it in state or more trouble gets dumped on you. Meanwhile, if something happens to the car and the insurer says "So how come that car was in California?" you're toast if they send around someone to ask if it was seen or known locally. These guys (dmv, tax, insurance) know every play in the book.

Lots of rules suck. So, either you learn them well enough to go around them, or you get into politics and change them, or you move elsewhere. Of there's that other choice: Drive around with a target on your back and pay up every time they catch you.

Reality bites. But that's the way it goes.
-- Original owner, 1985 GT-S

Big Mike Socal Muniz
Club4AG Regular

Postby Big Mike Socal Muniz » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:47 pm

Red,
California "in state" law is 20 days. By Cali law, if your car has been in the state for 20 days you have to apply for Cali plates.
Big Mike Muniz
72 RHD late model Truneo
72 RHD rare early Trueno

Red
Club4AG Expert

Postby Red » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:42 pm

Wow! 20 days might be the shortest grace period in the nation.

bnicolas
Club4AG Expert

Postby bnicolas » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:10 pm

you should have just paid a lawyer!
like what i suggested anyway you learn the really hard wayand got off easily no record no going back to stock engine too much hustle

Big Mike Socal Muniz
Club4AG Regular

Postby Big Mike Socal Muniz » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:42 pm

bnicolas wrote:you should have just paid a lawyer!
like what i suggested anyway you learn the really hard wayand got off easily no record no going back to stock engine too much hustle

I did consult 2 lawyers, the 1st lawyer , the lawyer for the dealership I work for. He handles all the traffic citation and accident cases in our dealership (that happens when we are on a road test). I explained to him my situation and asked him about what you suggested on this forum. He said that if I stood in front of the judge, and tell him what you said here, he would just laugh or get really pissed off. He said that word games like "traveling" is not "driving" is not something you use as a defense in a court that handles these type of cases on regular basis. If you are behind the wheel you are driving...And driving is a privilege and not a right... The California vehicle code apply to all vehicles in California that are on California public roads not just for commerce.If it was for commerce, then anyone can just do what they want, which does not make sense... The second Lawyer in Pasadena said he could represent me, but the outcome would be the same, and I would be out the retainer, so I opted not to have a lawyer represent me. If you could cite a case law where the law of commerce was used successfully in a similar case like mine, I would really appreciate it so that I could have a traffic lawyer check it out before my next court date. When I was a Police officer back in 1998, I admit that I did not know about the emission law requirements for smog exempt vehicle either. We usually have the motor unit to turn to and ask what the exact VC to write someone up. I do want to thank you for you input, it was worth a shot.
Big Mike Muniz
72 RHD late model Truneo
72 RHD rare early Trueno

carbd7age
Club4AG Pro

Postby carbd7age » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:56 am

Mike it's absolutely disgusting what these Cali laws are putting you through. I know I sound like an overly patriotic hillbilly.... but the shoe fits lol. I thought this was Merica!? I don't know if you guys have jacked up trucks in Cali like we have in the south, but let me paint you a word picture: I work next door to a police station. One officer (or regular visitor) drives a diesel Ford F350 long dually quadcab with a giant lift to fit 22.5" Alcoa big rig wheels/tires. Coming out of the bed are 2 straight up 8" diameter stove pipes that can blow coal across the street. I would love for a Cali cop to come see how the other 49 lives.

Also, my poor little 2 year old is heart broken we'll never get to go to Disneyland because of all the crap laws. We'll just stick to Disney World in Florida. ;)
Eric'sFreeAE86 from the old site
Knockoff Crew member #0001

kendallspower
Club4AG Expert

Postby kendallspower » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:36 am

carbd7age wrote:Mike it's absolutely disgusting what these Cali laws are putting you through. I know I sound like an overly patriotic hillbilly.... but the shoe fits lol. I thought this was Merica!? I don't know if you guys have jacked up trucks in Cali like we have in the south, but let me paint you a word picture: I work next door to a police station. One officer (or regular visitor) drives a diesel Ford F350 long dually quadcab with a giant lift to fit 22.5" Alcoa big rig wheels/tires. Coming out of the bed are 2 straight up 8" diameter stove pipes that can blow coal across the street. I would love for a Cali cop to come see how the other 49 lives.

Also, my poor little 2 year old is heart broken we'll never get to go to Disneyland because of all the crap laws. We'll just stick to Disney World in Florida. ;)

Must be tough having a father that is afraid of the law. The world gets real small, real quick with that menality.

We have smog laws here. I grew up here (Los Angeles), it used to be super smoggy and we had to stay indoors during recess on bad days. The air quality is way better now and as a father wouldn't you want to have the best air quality for your child?

That being said, buy a stocker and switch the VIN. Hopefully we will see it at TORC or JCCS! Goodluck.

carbd7age
Club4AG Pro

Postby carbd7age » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:17 pm

Ah you misunderstand what I said. When given the choice to drive to either Florida or California, I would chose Florida every time because I don't want the hassle. I know my out of state plates should give me a pass, but that's no guarantee against over zealous cops.
Eric'sFreeAE86 from the old site
Knockoff Crew member #0001

Red
Club4AG Expert

Postby Red » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:23 pm

"I know my out of state plates should give me a pass, but that's no guarantee against over zealous cops."
Actually, it is, because they know you can literally throw out the summons and they'll be disciplined for issuing one to an one out state plate if you file the complaint.

Remember, Florida is the state where they were shocked, absolutely shocked, to find out that when you put up guardrails between the roads and the drainage canals, fewer people drown in them every year! Imagine that!

86 Corolla
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby 86 Corolla » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:22 am

Fuk Florida. I lived Orlando for a year. Let me tell you this, I'd rather deal with the California smog laws, earthquakes, and stricter import regulations than deal with the humidity, senior paced lifestyle, hurricanes, floods, and swamp habitats. However, if I were a successful drug trafficker in Florida, then I'm all game, lol.

Big Mike Socal Muniz
Club4AG Regular

Postby Big Mike Socal Muniz » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:10 am

Okay, Finally got the Rotary engine out and also the transmission, radiator, fuel lines, fuel tank, front sub frame, driveshaft, entire exhaust system, and everything associated to the rotary swap...Took all the parts I needed from the donor car and installed it in my TE27 including all emission equipment... The engine fired right up and I actually had fun driving the car with the bone stock motor around. I actually enjoyed it! But I hated looking into that engine bay seeing a dirty engine...Since I could not leave things alone, I went ahead (with owner’s permission) and the valve cover, air cleaner housing powder coated, also have the stock exhaust manifold jet hot coated, and painted the engine block and all the other pieces that was rusted out. Damn! after everything was put together I was actually surprised! I love the way it looks... Maybe I'll do a few shows with this engine in it before the rotary goes back in :D
Big Mike Muniz
72 RHD late model Truneo
72 RHD rare early Trueno

ZTS
Club4AG Regular

Postby ZTS » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:52 am

Nice! Image

SNOOZ
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby SNOOZ » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:00 am

are you still going to drive it around with the rotary in there anymore or is it just goin to be a trailer queen? ... glad you were able to source something to pass inspection, hopefully it doesn happen again if you do decide to drive it again... ps i would ^_^

SidekickChuck
Club4AG Expert

Postby SidekickChuck » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:04 pm

Only issue if he gets nabbed again for the same thing, it could mean serious consequences for him and/or the car. I dont know the laws about this, but if you are a repeat offender for a lot of things, they dont play around.
Silver/Black 1985 ae86 gts Heavens Gate Corolla
2001 Carbon Black e39 M5
89' Supra Twin Turbo 1JZ (sold)

Big Mike Socal Muniz
Club4AG Regular

Postby Big Mike Socal Muniz » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:01 pm

SNOOZ wrote:are you still going to drive it around with the rotary in there anymore or is it just goin to be a trailer queen? ... glad you were able to source something to pass inspection, hopefully it doesn happen again if you do decide to drive it again... ps i would ^_^

My appointment with the state referee is this coming Thursday... Then my court date is on Nov 4th... Once I've taken care of the ticket, the rotary will go back in. No trailer for this car (don't own one)... I'll still drive it on the streets, I drove this car to and from different race tracks and car meets for years without ever being hassled by the police. I just happen to run into an a$$ hole that I’m sure has a $hit load of violations on his own car/s. But now I would be very selective what events I will drive my car. I will definitely not be going to Nisie Showoff!
Big Mike Muniz
72 RHD late model Truneo
72 RHD rare early Trueno

Big Mike Socal Muniz
Club4AG Regular

Postby Big Mike Socal Muniz » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:08 pm

SidekickChuck wrote:Only issue if he gets nabbed again for the same thing, it could mean serious consequences for him and/or the car. I dont know the laws about this, but if you are a repeat offender for a lot of things, they dont play around.

I asked the state referee what would happen if I put everything back and got popped again for the same violation...He saidI would just have to go through the same thing all over again. He said there is a guy with a Subaru that shows up every 3 to 4 months for the same violation (modified emission/ no catalyst & running a aftermarket non C.A.R.B approved turbo), he just puts everything stock back on the car, get it tested and cerified, pay the fine, put his turbo back on with his catless exhaust, and gets pulled over again after a few months, then the cycle starts over again. He has been there 5 times for the exact same violation in a year and a half!
Big Mike Muniz
72 RHD late model Truneo
72 RHD rare early Trueno

SidekickChuck
Club4AG Expert

Postby SidekickChuck » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:28 pm

Oh wow lol. Well at least you have this information for yourself in case it happens again. But like you said, it all depends on where you are, and what mood the officer is in. You can go decades without incident, then out of nowhere, get cited.

The only question now is, will you have the stock engine available again to swap in the event that this happens again?
Silver/Black 1985 ae86 gts Heavens Gate Corolla
2001 Carbon Black e39 M5
89' Supra Twin Turbo 1JZ (sold)

AIRWOLF
Club4AG Regular

Postby AIRWOLF » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:06 am

Just read everything and very informative about these laws. And I had a glimmer of hope thinking i could register my car in Arizona (smog laws are more lenient) but I guess every politician has thought of ways people try to get smart and bypass the law.

Question, if i do register out of state, do i have to apply for the license in the state as well?

couldn't you just do a JOINT TITLE???
UCSB Alum