Rota Haters read on......

Anything about cars, as long as it's clean...
No offensive language, no profanity, no nudity, nothing that your mom will slap you for...
Be nice to others.
kulitko
Club4AG Expert

Rota Haters read on......

Postby kulitko » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:29 pm

So was browsing facebook and stumbled upon these.... Actually confirmed my theories... Pacquiao is Filipino.....

http://custompinoyrides.com/2012/03/que ... ta-wheels/

This guy is great....:::::

Taken from the page:

I never comment on these things but, I think I might have this hate thing figured out…..

Now, I am no pro builder or certified mechanic, but I am a die hard car freak and tuner. I am a high end chef by trade so I understand the concept of selling high priced authentic product vs inferior product. Take everything I say with a grain of salt……god I hate myself for using that pun.

I believe, this whole argument boils down to enjoyment and satisfaction. Our most basic need as humans to be accepted and commended for our efforts. To feel that we are “one” with our peer group or tribe.

Now, we all take our hobby seriously, and many of us have to give up other luxuries to ensure our car hobby is well funded. So, many of us scrimp and save and work extra hours just to improve our cars, i know i do. We choose to give up some things that we want so that we can have the things of our dreams. I see it everyday in my restaurant. People will eat modestly and within their means, but there comes a time when they need to go all out. Buy the most expensive steak, caviar, wine, foie gras……..and enjoy every second of it. It was totally worth every penny. They pay their larger than normal bill and dream of when they can splurge on the best again.

The wheel thing is the same with one difference. Too some people, rotas are the best they can get. They achieve the same swelling feeling of emotion and pride when they go car meets and show off what they have put all their work into. The rota camp are getting the same props as the people running “authentic” wheels. Which is understandably pissing off the “authentic wheel” people. Since they probably scrimped and saved and “sacrificed more” in order to attain the same amount of glory. E.G. I just priced BBS RS+ at tirerack.com and they are $1200 a piece for 18in………. That is severely more expensive for wheels which would just really be decoration, most folks dont ever track their car. Especially elite Haters who buy BBS RS wheels. Not to mention the people who lust after rare wheels…..eg mugen originals. Those wheels are expensive and require a treasure hunt to find.

The sacrifice.vs.reward ratio is drastically skewed. The people who spent and sacrificed more for arguably the same glory, feel cheated. They had to endure more hardship but had no greater perceivable benefit. Sadly, this is the perfect recipe for hate.

This is the very same thing that happens when someone at my bar comments about how much they enjoy their cheap wine. Its soooo good….. Inevitably, some hater drinking a far more “expensive or rare” bottle of wine will comment how foolish the first man was to enjoy his inferior wine.

It is sad really. Some of us, just cant allow other people to just enjoy our amazing hobby/lifestyle. Something inside just wont let them stay quiet about what other people do with their hard earned money and time.

We cant let hate divide us. We love cars. Everybody does their own thing, and that should be rejoiced. I am just glad to see people out wrenching, learning, and living their own lives.

Ava92
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: Rota Haters read on......

Postby Ava92 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:23 pm

removed dumb post
Last edited by Ava92 on Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kulitko
Club4AG Expert

Postby kulitko » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:31 pm

Its just sooo true though..... I own my self freakin expensive ass wheels.... and yet I dont rock Rotas. I should and will start too......

ronny
Club4AG Expert

Postby ronny » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:04 pm

FUk Rota - they can suck a dick.. yes i am stubborn and bias -

rays only =D
Rays - Project Mu - TE37 club
BLUE MOON / CUSCO
AE86fightclub.com
PM me for Contact

GtsTone23
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby GtsTone23 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:34 pm

Great post my man!!! This is the TRUTH and to be honest, most people CAN'T handle the TRUTH!!! hahahaha
Been a member here since the pop-ups were around ... Remember those, not many do!

kulitko
Club4AG Expert

Postby kulitko » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:21 pm

Ronny u hater ..... :p. still hate u though :)

Honoturtle
Club4AG Regular

Postby Honoturtle » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:42 am

I see both sides of the coin.

Personally I own a couple sets of SSR wheels, my Dori Doris being my main set. My wheels are strictly for decoration. My Dori Doris along with my JDM Kouki bumpers topped off the current iteration of my build. When I used to autocross (and if I were to ever go back), I would run my good ol' 14x7 Celica Supras w/ RT615s.

It took quite a bit of effort & time (not to mention $$) to find a complete set of Dori Doris, ship them to Hawaii, and restoring them before finally mounting them on my car. Although not in any crazy widths (7"/7.5") or crazy offsets (-2mm/+4mm) they are perfect for the look I'm after and I'm very satisfied. So when I saw the Rota Hentai photo, being an exactly replica wheel, I couldn't help but be a bit disappointed.

On the flip side, I cannot fault anyone for purchasing Rota wheels. I have considered both the Rota RKR and Rota Shakotan wheels for my daily driver (which is how I stumbled on the Rota Hentais). Being much more inexpensive wheels, they are easily replaced. Being brand new, the buyer can purchase them blemish free and get instant gratification with no restoration required. All this, while achieving the same look as people with "legit" wheels.

We all have a budget, so if Rotas are all you can afford because you spent all your money on that crazy engine swap, so be it.

#YOLO.
1987 AE86 Corolla DX Coupe - BT 20V 4AGE

Jimmee1990
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Jimmee1990 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:48 am

How about if a wheel is quality it shouldn't matter the name? All the driftworks guys in the UK use Rota wheels and they've never had a wheel fail. Almost every wheel the fanboys pull themselves over are copies of something else anyway so why is it now different? Because Japan was the original for everything? Please...

cedu
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby cedu » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:21 pm

Its funny how so many stance kids have cracked/bent/shattered "real" rims while just hardparking.

And im over here beating the **** out of rotas... and they still work.

carbd7age
Club4AG Pro

Postby carbd7age » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:58 pm

Man Rota's are expensive. I pushed Nippon Racing wheels on my Golf years back cuz I couldn't afford Slip Steams lolol.
Eric'sFreeAE86 from the old site
Knockoff Crew member #0001

HingaSPL
Club4AG Expert

Postby HingaSPL » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:24 pm

Other comments taken from the article :D

"I don’t know too much about the whole history behind these flame wars on rims nor do I have much by way of knowledge of wheel statistics. I’m only here to give a critical perspective, and I find that this article makes a very fair point. aSTIG isnt saying that rotas are the best or anything, its just that they’re not dangerous, at all, and they’re not as bad for performance as people make them out to be. He acknowledges the physical advantages of forged wheels. It’s undeniable that outside of their status symbolism, forged wheels are functionally superior. But the specific functional advantage they have over cast wheels, like rotas, are over a very limited range. Thus, it is very possible, as he’s shown, that motorsports teams can use rotas and turn out successful.

Honestly, I’m not one for rotas, but not because of any unsubstantiated prejudice against them as being dangerous or particularly terrible in any way. They just never caught my eye because, in a very subjective sense, none of their designs evoked an emotional response. What do I mean by that? Well, look at it this way. I first encountered Ray’s VR.G2 through Gran Turismo 5, and I didnt like it very much. It looked rather plain. But when I saw a set of VR.G2′s in person in matte black, it immediately looked to me as, somehow, both badass yet understated, and still very functional. I knew then and there that these are rims i’d be willing to spend a lot on.

The fixture that is the aforementioned TE37 is another example. It continues to linger in the tuning scene because it radiates a powerful image as both functional yet elegant and understated. In turn, rotas may not be outright rip-off designs, as you say, but all of them are still rather derivative. Where’s the originality? You say that there are only so many things u can do to the design of a wheel, but that isn’t an excuse for blatantly derivative design.

As a result, given that rotas get the job done alright and that they’re really just adequate, i see them as white goods: they don’t make you truly want or desire them. And this is precisely because they don’t excel, on their own, as wheels. The argument that successful race teams use rotas doesn’t tell us that rotas are particularly excellent themselves, but that the race team, as a whole, was excellent. Whether or not it’s the wheels, tires, engine, suspension, chassis, drivetrain, driver, pit crew, etc. is not something you can determine clearly at face value. Many of these teams only care for wheels that will last them through to the end and then be replaced, relying more on fine tuning everything else. Thus, there is no question of durability, here, but of the passion that’s evoked by that little bit of extra effort and technology that makes things special and not just disposable.

I think, then, that this is the appeal of authentic forged rims: that they give out an air of both functionality and desirability. You know that your getting some of the best technology and design available, and so you can feel passionate about it. The problem comes wen people take these qualities and blow them out of proportion in order to assert themselves as being higher in status, or having a better eye for detail, etc. Wheelwhore elitism comes in when people who only want to boost their self-esteem and look down on others go and brag to others that they’ve got real branded rims and talk on and on about credentials of their parts without grasping what’s truly good about them. These types tend to label themselves as “true” enthusiasts because they define their enthusiasm purely by what they choose to buy, rather than how they use it.

The next problem comes with the response they elicit: people who say that these high-end forged wheels are all talk and no substance. Such people attempt to reduce the appeal of higher-end rims as being entirely in light of what the wheel elitists want: bragging rights. It’s these types of people who lay claim to being “true” enthusiasts because they’re not “blinded” by superficial brands and prestige. I’m inclined to agree to a point. A wheel isn’t good just because its branded as such, but because of the products, themselves. The problem is that, for the sake of rejecting the elitism, there is a deliberate ignorance to the facts behind the claims to superior functionality: the sheer fact that forged rims are lighter and can thus enhance driveability and control by reducing unsprung weight and the polar moment of inertia. This is all part of what makes the high-end wheels appealing, and are real functional facts that can justifiably make use of by people who are serious about their driving. The important point, however, is that they have to be made use of, and not just shown off. There is, in other words, real substance behind these wheels, and not just badge.

To sum up my point, then, Rota has to know its place. In the motoring world, its the equivalent of a white good: they evoke no passion, even if they get the job done. We, as Filipino motoring enthusiasts, will get nowhere by being satisfied and proud of a corporate model that makes only products that are always “just good enough”. As such, if rota wants to go beyond this, they have to make good on their catchphrase as “the art & science of wheels” where other brands like Ray’s and BBS have succeeded: to make their rims something functionally superior and desirable at the same time. It has to be something that you know can get the job done best such that it can be something that you can be passionate about, rather than something that merely gets the job done at the end of the day. Rota has to make the effort to go beyond what it has readily achieved now.

At the same time, however, people have no right to bastardize high-end brands just for the sake of their own egos. They ruin not only the names of such brands, but the unity of car enthusiasm, as a whole, by spinning arguments over points exaggerated beyond reason. This whole brouhaha that, I fear, is encouraging stagnation rather than advancement in rota; it’s all because the very notion of putting soul and passion into products has suddenly become elitistic to many of us because of these wheelwhores. We have to see that making products to be passionate about isn’t merely dishonest marketing, but real technology, effort, and enthusiasm, all meant to bring out the best in the industry."

And then this guy had a great point :D

"After reading this long and exhausting novel, alow me to summarize this article in just a few words: “ROTA, we copy because others do!” For the sake of the arguement why is this fellow posting photos of reputable, brand named wheel companies that may or may not have the same or exact wheel designs? Why not post wheels manufactured by ROTA and compare them with Volk, SSR, and Enkeis? This idiot used the word replica when it should be clearly reword to “exact copies” as their wheels have the uncanny similarities of an old or existing wheel design from a reputable wheel manufacturer. Also the debate here is whether or not did ROTA bought a copyright license from other companies to re-manufacture the wheel? I did not see in the article stating about getting approval or a license to remake the wheels. Microsoft strictly forbids the use of unlicense software and so does any copyright/patented items. Movies that are done in different adaptations fro different countries must buy the license to re-make the production. As the JWL/VIA stamp, that could easily be applied on their wheel and say it underwent the standard/universal testing when there no valid proof of its authenticity. If ROTA is well accepted in the world including the land-of-the-rising sun how come I have never seen any advertisments nor endorsements from their motorsport magazines? With my years of subscribtion to these Japanese motorsport magazines, I have never, ever seen ROTA wheels in it; not even a shadow of it! There must be something wrong if the Japanese motor enthusiast never acknowledge ROTA? I wonder why is that???? There must be something wrong with the ROTA runs its business. If ROTA went through the legal procedures to remanufacture an exsisting or old wheel and is recognized and accepted by reputable wheel companies i.e.(BBS/VOLKS/ADVAN/SSR/VOLK/ etc) AND used throughout worldwide motorsports (Rally/Leman/Indy/F1/NASCAR/ etc.) then I will be the first one in line to order and get a set. Otherwise I still deemed them as a company a copies and so competent they can’t even make their own wheel designs."

To which this jerkoff said

"THE aSTIG says:
August 20, 2013 at 6:19 pm
@Au10ic wheels – Here’s something from Daijiro Inada – founder of Option Magazine as well as the Tokyo Auto Salon, and the “Drift King” himself – Keiichi Tsuchiya: http://custompinoyrides.com/2013/03/rot ... r-culture/"

That’s right ladies and gentlemen, ROTA Wheels is now officially a welcomed brand in the JDM scene. As you can see, ROTA is now part of The Drift Muscle series founded by none other than Japanese car gods Daijiro Inada – founder of Option Magazine as well as the Tokyo Auto Salon, and the “Drift King” himself – Keiichi Tsuchiya. With these two guys welcoming ROTA Wheels into their world, ROTA must have has gained respect within the JDM world. What can I say? Pinoy Pride baby!

so I responded:

HingaSPL says:
Your comment is awaiting moderation.

September 1, 2013 at 8:06 am
@THE aSTIG – ANYBODY can get their name put on that roster, anybody who gives them money. That is nothing but a list of sponsors. For you to insinuate that Keichi or Dai themselves put Rota on that list because they are totally behind their product is pure ignorance. I think it is great that Rota is sponsoring the Drift Muscle and if you read further they are also hosting a beginners drift contest for drivers without rollcages or other safety items in their cars.

Like I said before, "Pinoy Pride" is getting in the way of good judgement. The ONLY person I've seen in all of my years here in Japan rollin on Rota wheels is one dude and that is because he is half Filipino and got a partial sponsor from Rota. He tries to push these wheels here and nobody is buyin. Just sayin. I'm sure Rota puts out an alright product, but the exact copying of other popular wheel designs is a big turn off for me. I like my SSR's, Wat's, BBS's and XR4's, that's just me. As the guy said above "they have to make good on their catchphrase as -the art & science of wheels". I've yet to see either. Should be "The art of copying and casting", hahahahahaha. If you are fine with constantly justifying why you run these things, then good on you. Me? I ain't got time for that ****. I'd rather run steelies or stockers if I didn't have the cash for the wheels I wanted.

HingaSPL
Club4AG Expert

Postby HingaSPL » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:44 pm

More Awesomeness:
Edward Lee says:
May 6, 2012 at 6:28 pm
Hello all – and I hope this response is not deleted. The sales and marketing of Rays wheels in the United States is my livelihood and I take serious offense to this article.

1st of all if you are making statements of who is making wheels for OEM, please cite some examples. RAYS manufactures for high end programs like the Nissan GTR or racing like ALMS and Formula 1.

We understand that our wheels are manufactured using the most advanced method of making wheels and there is a price premium, but at the end of the day you get dedicated engineering and endless love for racing. We actually appreciate the fact that companies like Rota who lack creativity copy our wheels so that it drives us to produce better wheels and faster.

In fact at the last Wekfest show this year in SF we caught the owner of Rota (the big guy) at our booth taking pictures of our new wheels. When we caught him, he ran off. If that is his character then we welcome the competition as we will work hard to make better products.

We hope as wheel companies evolve they will invest in their own creativity. It is a known fact that Rota has used our designs to sell wheels. We feel that although it interrupts our
Business plans – we need to do out best to bring POSITIVE contributions to the automotive industry.

I know that this is an endless debate – and there is a place for all companies, however if you are an enthusiast that strives for authenticity and performance we hope that you consider our products.

I welcome any response and I hope to start a positive dialogue between all parties involved.

Elee@mackinindustries.com

Thank you

Edward Lee

idreamofdrifting
Club4AG MASTER

Postby idreamofdrifting » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:04 pm

"Truth is a point of view, but authenticity can't be faked."

Peter Guber

carbd7age
Club4AG Pro

Postby carbd7age » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:32 pm

Whatever. Just like boobs: if I can touch em, they're real.
Eric'sFreeAE86 from the old site
Knockoff Crew member #0001

HingaSPL
Club4AG Expert

Postby HingaSPL » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:42 pm

Figures that astig jerkoff would delete my comment. Truth hurts

Autonerd
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Autonerd » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:37 am

HingaSPL wrote: Just sayin. I'm sure Rota puts out an alright product, but the exact copying of other popular wheel designs is a big turn off for me. I like my SSR's..

ImageImage

HingaSPL
Club4AG Expert

Postby HingaSPL » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:07 am

What's your point, the SSRs look better.

Autonerd
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Autonerd » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:32 am

HingaSPL wrote:What's your point, the SSRs look better.

I thought the point was obvious. oh well. :P

personally, I'd rather have the lighter magnesium ones on the left. But I could only afford the ones on the right. :D

HingaSPL
Club4AG Expert

Postby HingaSPL » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:03 pm

Personally I don't like the open space around the center on the BBS, compared to the SSR. If I were to blow my load on a set of BBS, I'd get the LM or LM-R's, so sexy

kulitko
Club4AG Expert

Postby kulitko » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:43 pm

Hungary your just a hater an that's why I love your posts :)