AE86 exhaust underaxle or overaxle

Anything about cars, as long as it's clean...
No offensive language, no profanity, no nudity, nothing that your mom will slap you for...
Be nice to others.
daveskatesallday
Club4AG Pro

AE86 exhaust underaxle or overaxle

Postby daveskatesallday » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:42 am

Which one do you prefer and why? I was looking into getting a catback for my new setup but can't make up my mind if i should go with underaxle or overaxle. When it's under after drifting a lot for some reason the hanger seems to snap off and then it drags until i can lift it up and fix it, but when it's overaxle and the car dips down too much it puts dents in the part of the piping going over the axle lol
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

Deuce Cam

Re: AE86 exhaust underaxle or overaxle

Postby Deuce Cam » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:04 am

Biggest problem with most under axle cbe setups...the axle housing will rest on the exhaust when you jack the car up and let the rear suspension droop. If you're careless and don't unhook the cbe in this case bad things can happen. I've seen an ae86 with a tear in the floor where the exhaust hanger connects to the body due to this.

daveskatesallday
Club4AG Pro

Postby daveskatesallday » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:49 am

Deuce Cam wrote:Biggest problem with most under axle cbe setups...the axle housing will rest on the exhaust when you jack the car up and let the rear suspension droop. If you're careless and don't unhook the cbe in this case bad things can happen. I've seen an ae86 with a tear in the floor where the exhaust hanger connects to the body due to this.

that is true too one reason i don't like underaxle exhausts although they are easier to remove if you have a flange that is before the axle just unbolt it i might have a shop do that for me for easier removal. Last time i had a overaxle exhaust it got stuck b/c my car was too low and it took forever to remove it
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:06 am

daveskatesallday wrote:When it's under after drifting a lot for some reason the hanger seems to snap off and then it drags until i can lift it up and fix it

Please explain further.

daveskatesallday
Club4AG Pro

Postby daveskatesallday » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:36 am

Deuce Cam wrote:
daveskatesallday wrote:When it's under after drifting a lot for some reason the hanger seems to snap off and then it drags until i can lift it up and fix it

Please explain further.

didn't realize i butchered that sentence so bad. I meant when it's an under axle catback/exhaust sometimes after drifting for long periods of time the hanger that holds up the muffler part always seems to snap off and it causes the catback to hang so low to the ground (being under axle) it starts to drag on the ground and what not. It doesn't always happen but the guy at the muffler shop sees my car once a month lol

tiprock
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby tiprock » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:05 pm

not sure about other under axle exhausts but the buddy club spec2 has the rear section held on by 2 springs so it just slides off and not really a hassle.
zenki levin hatch
kouki trueno coupe

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:05 pm

^Oh yeah, I forgot about the slip fit. That cbe also has a bend under the axle which is the lowest point in the system. I assume they did that for extra clearance with shock stroke.

daveskatesallday wrote:didn't realize i butchered that sentence so bad. I meant when it's an under axle catback/exhaust sometimes after drifting for long periods of time the hanger that holds up the muffler part always seems to snap off and it causes the catback to hang so low to the ground (being under axle) it starts to drag on the ground and what not. It doesn't always happen but the guy at the muffler shop sees my car once a month lol

It was clear. I'm just curious why that would happen. Exhaust too close to axle? What under diff. cbe are you using?

daveskatesallday
Club4AG Pro

Postby daveskatesallday » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:20 pm

Deuce Cam wrote:^Oh yeah, I forgot about the slip fit. That cbe also has a bend under the axle which is the lowest point in the system. I assume they did that for extra clearance with shock stroke.

daveskatesallday wrote:didn't realize i butchered that sentence so bad. I meant when it's an under axle catback/exhaust sometimes after drifting for long periods of time the hanger that holds up the muffler part always seems to snap off and it causes the catback to hang so low to the ground (being under axle) it starts to drag on the ground and what not. It doesn't always happen but the guy at the muffler shop sees my car once a month lol

It was clear. I'm just curious why that would happen. Exhaust too close to axle? What under diff. cbe are you using?

i have no idea it could have been from the weight of the axle hitting the piping on compression stroke as well as it being low to the ground, it always happened drifting it never failed, i wanted to find a decent but cheap exhaust so i can finish up by the middle of next month