I NEED HELP finding the owner of my old car

Anything about cars, as long as it's clean...
No offensive language, no profanity, no nudity, nothing that your mom will slap you for...
Be nice to others.
SD Yota

I NEED HELP finding the owner of my old car

Postby SD Yota » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:29 pm

so i have an issue at the san francisco DMV and need help finding the owner of my old TE72 wagon, does anyone know who the owner is of my old wagon either here or in 3tc garage? if i remember correctly, he lives out in the bay area... any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Red
Club4AG Expert

Re: I NEED HELP finding the owner of my old car

Postby Red » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:43 am

"who the owner is"
Ergh, hopefully the owner is you.<G>

Who the last owner was, should be on your bill of sale, or on the title transfer records that you should be able to get copies of from the state DMV, if no one comes up with a name.

If you bought it from an online ad, try using the wayback machine at archive.org to find a copy of it again, or to search the forum you saw it in.
-- Original owner, 1985 GT-S

SD Yota

Postby SD Yota » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:03 am

well, apparently, he didnt register it right after he drove it to san francisco and he acquired a parking ticket that came back to the last registered owner (me) so im trying to have him take responsibility for it.. or at least get san francisco to realize that the new owner is the one that got the ticket in his home town..... not the san diego guy.

i think i figured out a way to track him down through a buddy's registration office so imma try that and turn in a proof of registered owner.

Red
Club4AG Expert

Postby Red » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:24 am

Oh, so it WAS your car but you're trying to prove you SOLD it to someone else.

That's a bit different.

In most of the US this is one reason why the plates are issued to the owner--and the plates and stickers come OFF THE CAR when we sell it. In Cali (and I think Louisiana?) the plates attach to the car and then no one knows who really owns it. There must be an officially recognized way to prove you got rid of it, no? No paperwork for a transfer or sale, that you get to keep part of? Someone sells a car, cancels the insurance on it...don't tell me, there's no way to tell whether you really sold it, or just run it uninsured as well?

SNOOZ
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby SNOOZ » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:44 pm

i think you can just go online and fill out the release of liability. NRL

SNOOZ
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby SNOOZ » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:48 pm

Red
Club4AG Expert

Postby Red » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:54 pm

"Reporting the sale or transfer of a vehicle or vessel to the department does not constitute a transfer of ownership. The record is not permanently transferred out of your name until the department receives a completed application for transfer of ownership and payment of appropriate fees from the new owner. "

Oh, that's just peachy keen. The seller is held liable under the buyer takes other actions? In most states we would call that illegal, you can't be held responsible for someone else's actions, or failure to act, that way.

Who'da thunk.

SD Yota

Postby SD Yota » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:51 pm

yea.... gotta love california. i went to dmv and they say they dont have any records of me selling the vehicle. whats more of a bitch is they wont release any info regarding the new owner or the whereabouts of the car now. however the san francisco dmv holds me responsible for a ticket this guy got while "in process" of title transfer. i live in san diego while the new owner lives in san francisco (to my knowledge) and yet by the ticket its saying i was in cisco and got a parking ticket...... :evil: california can kiss my ass i swear im done with this fuc*** up state.

SD Yota

Postby SD Yota » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:52 pm

i should report the damn thing stolen.... maybe then this guy would learn to be responsible. -___-

OG UTOTMO
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby OG UTOTMO » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:45 pm

[quote="SD Yota"]i should report the damn thing stolen.... maybe then this guy would learn to be responsible. -___-

i would report it stolen let him pay you back