... I'm gonna put my hose into my headlight

Anything about cars, as long as it's clean...
No offensive language, no profanity, no nudity, nothing that your mom will slap you for...
Be nice to others.

Billy_Andrea
Club4AG Expert

Re: ... I'm gonna put my hose into my headlight!

Postby Billy_Andrea » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:26 am

Am I the only one that thinks it looks retarded to have an externally mounted oil cooler with exposed hose like that ?

HingaSPL
Club4AG Expert

Postby HingaSPL » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:52 pm

I've always thought it looked dumb too. Form over function. Funny thing is that 90% of the ones I've seen aren't even hooked up. Hose runs into the headlight assy or grill and that is as far as it goes. I never understood the stateside facination with the retarded a$$ bakazoku. If they lived in Japan and witnessed these idiots first hand, you wouldn't think so highly of these paint thinner huffing tards

Big Mike Socal Muniz
Club4AG Regular

Postby Big Mike Socal Muniz » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:15 pm

I was wondering why I cannot find anymore 1st gen RX7 oil coolers at the junk yard :roll: It has now become an accessory :D . I also have the same oil cooler on one of my TE27's...but I made sure the hoses are hidden and out of the way... I guess that is the look they were shooting for. It does not really bother me. I'm not one to tell someone what they should do with their car. If I listened to everyone else, then I would not have put a Rotary engine in my car. I'm glad I stuck with my guns and did not listen to everyones 2 cents...
-Big Mike Muniz
Big Mike Muniz
73 TE27 w/monster port 12A roadrace car.
73 TE27 RHD LEVIN "L'L MANGO"
72 RHD late model Truneo
72 RHD rare early Trueno
82 Porsche 928 Boeing powered "Jet Car"
96 Twin Turbo alcohol Pro Street Impala SS

SidekickChuck
Club4AG Expert

Postby SidekickChuck » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:50 pm

Big Mikes a great example of something done right. Whether or not you are a fan of externally mounted coolers, you have to admit that he has done it the proper way. But then again, its not run through his headlamp :P
Silver/Black 1985 ae86 gts Heavens Gate Corolla
2001 Carbon Black e39 M5
89' Supra Twin Turbo 1JZ (sold)

Ava92
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Ava92 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:24 am

i would never do that in my city. some scum person would probably mess around with it or try to cut a line.

asjoseph

Postby asjoseph » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:13 pm

Last edited by asjoseph on Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HASport AE86
Club4AG Expert

Re: ... I'm gonna put my hose into my headlight

Postby HASport AE86 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:43 pm

Boso fad. Japanese version of USA rat rods. The boso exhaust pipes are fun though, just add pennies to them. Or you can add water, make it sound like a bong going down the road. blub blub blub blub BRAP BRAP blub blub blub
SwangBiz Corolla Chassis Parts and F20/F22C/4AGE Wiring Services
(we build stuff, I solder wires, we race corollas, then we get drunk)

Proud Supporter of JSPfab.com, BattleGarage, and Solo8 LED Solutions

seymour86
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby seymour86 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:57 pm

The race cars in the 70's in Japan ran oil coolers up front, I think they are just copying that look. Don't know why they put it through the headlight specifically. Image
Also BIG aero packages were all the rage in the late 70s early 80s, so once again people copy what they see on the track.

The same copying on the street what is seen on the track happens today I don't know how many times I have seen a full roll caged monster sitting on R comp tires only to ask the owner where he runs at and have them tell me that its not a race car...
breezefabrication.com
ryan@breezefabrication.com

davieTGB86
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby davieTGB86 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:10 am

its that Boso fad here in the states, but the reason why lot of these cars don't have them hooked up
is cause under California law, there cannot be a external oil cooler system that is in operation condition.
If your cooling system is in operation it has to be either behind the bumper or hidden away where it cannot be damaged from accidents.
so lot of these guys don't have it hooked up because if they get pulled over for the oil cooler, they wont get a ticket for being "in operation"
I don't like the fad either but what can you do...

Big Mike Socal Muniz
Club4AG Regular

Postby Big Mike Socal Muniz » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:09 pm

davieTGB86 wrote:its that Boso fad here in the states, but the reason why lot of these cars don't have them hooked up
is cause under California law, there cannot be a external oil cooler system that is in operation condition.
If your cooling system is in operation it has to be either behind the bumper or hidden away where it cannot be damaged from accidents.
so lot of these guys don't have it hooked up because if they get pulled over for the oil cooler, they wont get a ticket for being "in operation"
I don't like the fad either but what can you do...

Where did you get this information from? What vehicle code section is this under. I have a few friends that are police officers, 2 of them are with CHP and one is with LAPD motor unit. When I asked them if my oil cooler was "illegal" , they said no. In a front end collision the radiator will also get damaged and leak fluid even though these components are behind the radiator support and bumper, unless of course road debris hit the oil cooler and damage it causing oil to spill onto the roadway, but even then, I have not broken any laws...it's still considered and accident. Here where I work (Mercedes-Benz Dealership), we have plenty of cars that were involved in some slow speed collisions and all the AMG cars that have the oil cooler just behind the bumper cover always crack and leak oil. One more thing to add, my wife works with California emissions. So I asked her to ask people at her work if it’s against the law if someone had an external exposed oil cooler, power steering cooler or transmission cooler. The answer I got was this..."As long as they allow the vehicle's emissions systems to operate normally then they are legal. If the oil cooler prevents the car from reaching operating temperature (very unlikely) then it can be considered illegal. Power steering is not part of the emissions package so you can do whatever you want to it".
Big Mike Muniz
72 RHD late model Truneo
72 RHD rare early Trueno

davieTGB86
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby davieTGB86 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:20 am

dude relax man.
I got it from LAPD officer...
maybe he didn't know his laws I dunno...
don't get your panties all in a bunch man.
who f*ing cares anyways...
oh wait. never mind. you must be one of those dude at TORC that has one of these fad ha??
ok I get where your coming from.

Big Mike Socal Muniz
Club4AG Regular

Postby Big Mike Socal Muniz » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:37 am

You’re the one that needs to relax. I'm just simply clearing up what you posted on here. And yes I do have my car at TORC but my oil cooler is not a "fad" and is fully functional. If you bothered scrolling up and read my previous post you will see how I have my oil cooler set up. My reply was not intended to attack you personally, I just simply wanted to know if there was a particular or obscure vehicle code that applies to this mod that my buddies did not know about.
Big Mike Muniz
72 RHD late model Truneo
72 RHD rare early Trueno

HingaSPL
Club4AG Expert

Postby HingaSPL » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:19 pm

I also read it as you coming off a little snarky when I read it the first time, haha. Just curious, did you cut a hole behind your oil cooler, in your lip spoiler?

Big Mike Socal Muniz
Club4AG Regular

Postby Big Mike Socal Muniz » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:32 am

HingaSPL wrote:I also read it as you coming off a little snarky when I read it the first time, haha. Just curious, did you cut a hole behind your oil cooler, in your lip spoiler?

That's the problem when reading messages on the boards/forums and text messages in general, The receiver cannot hear our voice, cannot watch our body language, cannot see our smile (or frown) and cannot use their innate human senses. Rather, they read a comment and if they are having a bad day, if they misread (or miss reading between the lines) the message interpretation is up to the receiver. In this type of communication, conclusions are jumped to constantly. If I was talking to you face to face and I said the exact same thing I said in my post reply, you would know that I was trying to honestly gather more information and not attack what was said. People that know me here know that I'm not that kind of person. If readers on this message board feel like I was coming off as kinda "snarky", I apologize. I just did not want to be driving around in my car with the oil cooler exposed and get popped by the cops because of a law I did not know about. To answer your question about the front spoiler, yes, the section behind the oil cooler is cut to allow air flow...At one point I even had 2 computer electric fans behind it, but it did not allow the oil temperature to get to normal operational temps, so I took them off. Rotarys are very sensitive to heat, they don't like it when temps reach the 190's (coolant temps).
-Big Mike Muniz
Big Mike Muniz
72 RHD late model Truneo
72 RHD rare early Trueno

HingaSPL
Club4AG Expert

Postby HingaSPL » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:17 pm

Thanks for answering my question, car looks nice by the way.

davieTGB86
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby davieTGB86 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:42 am

I had gotten the same response as Hinga did Big Mike...
so don't get all in my face about it man

SidekickChuck
Club4AG Expert

Postby SidekickChuck » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:49 pm

I didnt get that at all from Big Mikes response. I read his reply as his observation of data he got from sources in regards to the topic at hand.
Silver/Black 1985 ae86 gts Heavens Gate Corolla
2001 Carbon Black e39 M5
89' Supra Twin Turbo 1JZ (sold)