Godspeed/eBay parts VS OEM parts.

Anything about cars, as long as it's clean...
No offensive language, no profanity, no nudity, nothing that your mom will slap you for...
Be nice to others.
Alexwaltman850
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:59 pm

Godspeed/eBay parts VS OEM parts.

Postby Alexwaltman850 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:18 am

So i'll start off with saying, compared to T3 and other top brands we all know brands like Godspeed and Speed Daddy are just not that great unless you're on a budget. With that in mind, if your on a budget, what route do you take? eBay brands (Godspeed, etc) or replace the bushings in 25 year old suspension parts. What would you think is better? Old OEM or cheap eBay? I'm in need of rear trailing arms and these two options are my only route on my budget. Just wondering what you all think or would do?

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.


User avatar
chemtrails
Club4AG Enthusiast
Posts: 111
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:46 am
Location: SwangBiz - IE Gutter Trash

Re: Godspeed/eBay parts VS OEM parts.

Postby chemtrails » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:30 am

Godspeed is complete JUNK, there's a reason why there cheap
Image
Failure to follow these instructions can result in death, serious injury, or equipment damage.

Jacare
Club4AG Enthusiast
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:14 pm

Re: Godspeed/eBay parts VS OEM parts.

Postby Jacare » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:48 pm

Would Megan fall under this category?
This is a good question

User avatar
Red
Club4AG Expert
Posts: 475
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:28 pm

Re: Godspeed/eBay parts VS OEM parts.

Postby Red » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:42 pm

Bushings?

I know base Corolla bushings are "rubber" and all the rubber companies (Gates, Goodyear) will tell you to replace all rubber partrs after five years as the rubber oxidizes and stiffens and begins to fail.

Polyurethane, which I've been told were stock on the GT-S, doesn't age as badly.

Old OEM? If that means 20 year old rubber, I wouldn't waste the time and money. I'd hold out for new parts from a respected brand and if you can't get that, just leave it be.
-- Original owner, 1985 GT-S

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.


LongGrain
Moderator
Posts: 449
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:38 pm

Re: Godspeed/eBay parts VS OEM parts.

Postby LongGrain » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:18 pm

polyurethane was not stock on corollas.

it also has a much shorter lifespan than rubber. that is why OEM Performance bushings (trd, nismo, etc) are not poly. Rubber is much more durable than polyurethane.

it is recommended to replace poly bushings every year or so because they will develop cracks. And they require much more maintenance (lubrication) than rubber.

User avatar
Red
Club4AG Expert
Posts: 475
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:28 pm

Re: Godspeed/eBay parts VS OEM parts.

Postby Red » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:30 pm

Very interesting.
-- Original owner, 1985 GT-S

Jacare
Club4AG Enthusiast
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:14 pm

Re: Godspeed/eBay parts VS OEM parts.

Postby Jacare » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:37 pm

so it pays later on to just go with a standard four link set-up?
they dont use bushings correct?

miswuevos
Club4AG Expert
Posts: 303
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:51 am
Location: Azimuth.

Re: Godspeed/eBay parts VS OEM parts.

Postby miswuevos » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:20 pm

LongGrain wrote:polyurethane was not stock on corollas.

it also has a much shorter lifespan than rubber. that is why OEM Performance bushings (trd, nismo, etc) are not poly. Rubber is much more durable than polyurethane.

it is recommended to replace poly bushings every year or so because they will develop cracks. And they require much more maintenance (lubrication) than rubber.

there goes 120 for the kit then :(
Image

LongGrain
Moderator
Posts: 449
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:38 pm

Re: Godspeed/eBay parts VS OEM parts.

Postby LongGrain » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:27 pm

of course 4 links have bushings in them.

and I never said polyurethane was bad, I said its not as durable as rubber. It is stiffer than the stock rubber bushings so your suspension will be tighter, less sloppy. but poly wears out fast, especially if you are doing a lot of street driving. Just make sure you lube them often.

Just like spherical bearings, they perform better, but do not last as long.

User avatar
Red
Club4AG Expert
Posts: 475
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:28 pm

Re: Godspeed/eBay parts VS OEM parts.

Postby Red » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:31 pm

And yet, Prothane offers a lifetime warranty on their suspension bushings, and states expressly that other parts (like their radiator bushings) will outlast OEM rubber parts.
-- Original owner, 1985 GT-S

MisterJerk
Club4AG Pro
Posts: 581
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:10 pm

Re: Godspeed/eBay parts VS OEM parts.

Postby MisterJerk » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:55 am

Red wrote:And yet, Prothane offers a lifetime warranty on their suspension bushings, and states expressly that other parts (like their radiator bushings) will outlast OEM rubber parts.



Since I have the entire poly bushing kit installed, I guess I am going to wait 25 years to find out if they last longer than the rubber bushes. The OEM bushings were original to my car and still in decent shape(weren't torn or cracked, were hella soft though) when i changed them out

ga_goosh
Club4AG Pro
Posts: 541
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:28 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Godspeed/eBay parts VS OEM parts.

Postby ga_goosh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:00 am

if you are droping your car and you want a cheap adjustable 4 link you can check out the diy 4 link thread. if you want even cheaper then just get the parts for the lower arms and save. your total price for 2 arms that will alow adjustment will only run about 60 bux. all 4 rear arms will run you about 120 or so depending on where you get your parts. still better and cheaper and replacable parts. 3 things you cant get from godspeed

i run prothane poly bushings and i think they are a good compromise between performance and price.
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

Not You
Club4AG Enthusiast
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:20 pm
Location: Tampa, FL

Re: Godspeed/eBay parts VS OEM parts.

Postby Not You » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:42 am

Just save up your money and get good parts. It's not worth buying shitty parts and having to fix someones windsheild because your cheap shitty parts broke and flew off only to hit someones car and put you and others around you in danger.

My Energy bushing kit has been on my car of 8+ years. Drove from Cali to Florida and from Florida to Pennsylvania. Daily driven with coilovers and tracked. Still looking good.

User avatar
chohdog
Club4AG Enthusiast
Posts: 153
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:15 pm

Re: Godspeed/eBay parts VS OEM parts.

Postby chohdog » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:44 am

brands like Godspeed and Speed Daddy are just not that great unless you're on a budget.


Wrong. Those brands are crap regardless if you're on a budget or not. Whether you use (literally) poo as a gasket maker because you thing its good, or you're using (literally) poo because its free and comes out your backside, you're still sealing engine parts with poo. There's no instance where its the appropriate item to use unless you're putting it in a brown bag and setting it on fire at your neighbor's doorstep.

As for polyurethane having a shorter lifespan, I think that's old. That's like saying American cars aren't reliable. This may have been the case 30 years ago, but technology has progressed and we are past that. Poly lasts a long, long time. This is not speculation, as I've had a bunch of poly on my car. For about 7 years. Never one crack, failure, or any problems. Street driven for 3, track only for 4.

As far as heim joints not lasting long, that's BS too. It depends on what brand/type of heim you're using. DIY and older version of some brands used non-automotive grade heim joints and they fail. If there's a grease fitting on the joint, then that's your first indicator that is not meant for auto usage.

Again how do I know? have had heim on my car for about 8 years with the same mix of driving that I mentioned above. Cusco, Battle Version and T3 all use high end automotive grade heim joints that will last a very long time. If you happen to wear one out (which I don't think we've seen yet) you can purchase replacement heims from Alex and T3 for their respective items.

I think Toyota made the TRD bushing kit out of harder rubber because, simply put, the AE86 chassis is very weak. Putting poly can potentially cause lots of stress on the chassis and of course, TRD doesn't want to jeopardize the structural integrity of their vehicles since most of their bushings are going on road cars.

User avatar
Red
Club4AG Expert
Posts: 475
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:28 pm

Re: Godspeed/eBay parts VS OEM parts.

Postby Red » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:35 pm

chohdog, there have been some odd things with polyurethanes over the years. I had an outstanding pair of waterproof boots from a copany that made them out of "urethane" in the late 80s' Went to replace them in the late 90's and was told they could't be replaced, because environmental regs in the manufacturer's natrive country had changed--and made the use of urethane impossible.

So who knows, TRD? Japan? Was urethane legal, or too expensive, or did TRD just figure rubber was good enough and way cheaper? Hell, in the 1980's and early 90's, TRD was like a u-boat pen: No one could tell you IF it existed, much less what was happening there.

Idiots could have sold me a lot of performance parts, if they had bothered sending a post card.
-- Original owner, 1985 GT-S

User avatar
gotzoom?
Club4AG Expert
Posts: 403
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:42 am
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Contact:

Re: Godspeed/eBay parts VS OEM parts.

Postby gotzoom? » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:46 pm

I'll jump in here in defense of Godspeed (can't speak from experience on other no-name stuff on Ebay.) I bought a set of Godspeed swaybars about 6 months ago and I just bought a set of their adjustable 4-links. Other than the fact they they use paint instead of powdercoat, I have nothing bad to say about their products. They use quality materials and they seem to be the only company that gets it when it comes to swaybars. I continue to be amazed that no one makes hollow swaybars for the AE86 other than Godspeed. Hollow swaybars weigh a fraction of what and equivalent rate solid bar does. I do feel that the rear swaybar is a bit light for DOT-R compound tires that I am running, but it should be fine for street tires. The front bar is perfect for 450lb/8kg springs on DOT-R tires. Regarding the 4-links, the adjuster hardware is grade 8 and the bushing/bearings are replaceable. I like the fact that they use bearings that are also bushed, which I expect will reduce some road noise as compared to straight spherical bearings.

From what I have seen, the people that bag on some of these parts have never even touched one, let alone used them, so that makes their opinions worthless, imo. From what I have seen, Godspeed and Whiteline are the only companies making parts for that AE86 that are actually designing parts. Everyone else just copies things that have already been done.

That's just the opinion of a guy that tracks and autocrosses his car and has the above mentioned parts installed on the car. Your mileage may vary.

User avatar
chohdog
Club4AG Enthusiast
Posts: 153
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:15 pm

Re: Godspeed/eBay parts VS OEM parts.

Postby chohdog » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:27 pm

That's just the opinion of a guy that tracks and autocrosses his car and has the above mentioned parts installed on the car. Your mileage may vary.


So what deterred you from purchasing sway bars from a reputable company?

Just say it, price.

User avatar
gotzoom?
Club4AG Expert
Posts: 403
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:42 am
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Contact:

Re: Godspeed/eBay parts VS OEM parts.

Postby gotzoom? » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:02 pm

I did purchase them from a reputable company. :) Until they break or somehow prove themselves to be the "junk" that you claim them to be, I will continue to maintain that they are a reputable company.

Just because I'm not a sheep that blindly goes along with the "common wisdom" doesn't make me wrong. I track my car and if the part makes my laptimes faster and can take the punishment of track duty, it's a quality part in my book, regardless of who made it.

PS: I have a Whiteline adjustable rear bar on my car. I chose that because I feel it is the best rear bar out there, so price clearly isn't a factor for me.

LongGrain
Moderator
Posts: 449
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:38 pm

Re: Godspeed/eBay parts VS OEM parts.

Postby LongGrain » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:15 pm

chohdog wrote:I think Toyota made the TRD bushing kit out of harder rubber because, simply put, the AE86 chassis is very weak. Putting poly can potentially cause lots of stress on the chassis and of course, TRD doesn't want to jeopardize the structural integrity of their vehicles since most of their bushings are going on road cars.


simply put, this is false.

ALL oem performance replacement bushings for all brands are always hardened rubber, because it is more durable. Poly requires more maintenance, and thus has a shorter lifespan, plain and simple. Rubber does not need to be lubricated, poly does.

I also disagree with you that T3 uses quality heims, but that is not a discussion for this thread.

miswuevos
Club4AG Expert
Posts: 303
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:51 am
Location: Azimuth.

Re: Godspeed/eBay parts VS OEM parts.

Postby miswuevos » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:58 pm

LongGrain wrote:
chohdog wrote:I think Toyota made the TRD bushing kit out of harder rubber because, simply put, the AE86 chassis is very weak. Putting poly can potentially cause lots of stress on the chassis and of course, TRD doesn't want to jeopardize the structural integrity of their vehicles since most of their bushings are going on road cars.


simply put, this is false.

ALL oem performance replacement bushings for all brands are always hardened rubber, because it is more durable. Poly requires more maintenance, and thus has a shorter lifespan, plain and simple. Rubber does not need to be lubricated, poly does.

I also disagree with you that T3 uses quality heims, but that is not a discussion for this thread.


To add more thought about OEM; the bushings of my AE86's stock links are pretty dam solid, still. So decided to put a hold on them

Deuce Cam
Posts: 1347
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:41 pm
Location: AZ

Re: Godspeed/eBay parts VS OEM parts.

Postby Deuce Cam » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:39 pm

The rubber rear bushings allow more 'independence,' (lol) of the rear axle's articulation. This isn't necessarily a bad thing considering the live axle.

Cusco is also known for offering hardened rubber bushings.

It's a matter of preference by the manufacturer, likely for reasons already mentioned in this thread.

User avatar
Red
Club4AG Expert
Posts: 475
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:28 pm

Re: Godspeed/eBay parts VS OEM parts.

Postby Red » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:59 am

Sometimes we forget, "rubber" isn't all the same.

If you have ever changed your tires, you know all that black rubber isn't the same. One set grips well, another set skids in the rain, a third set wears out in no time or lasts forever...There's "rubber" and buna n and other stuff that all looks the same, but it isn't quite. And I'd expect rubber bushings to be made in a wide range of price and strength. Like the difference between billet alloys and pot metal castings.

Knock wood the bushings on my car are all still intact and working. Although some folks would say the suspension on these cars doesn't work very well at all. And while I don't pamper the car, I haven't put all four wheels in the air at once. Yet. With this one. <G>
-- Original owner, 1985 GT-S

User avatar
gotzoom?
Club4AG Expert
Posts: 403
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:42 am
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Contact:

Re: Godspeed/eBay parts VS OEM parts.

Postby gotzoom? » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:20 am

The primary reason road cars use rubber bushings is to dampen road noise and offer a softer ride. The unfortunate side effect of that on a race car is that the suspension alignment changes while you're driving. The the reason race cars use harder materials such as poly, delrin or metal is to hold the alignment better under load.

ga_goosh
Club4AG Pro
Posts: 541
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:28 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Godspeed/eBay parts VS OEM parts.

Postby ga_goosh » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:03 am

gotzoom? wrote:I did purchase them from a reputable company. :) Until they break or somehow prove themselves to be the "junk" that you claim them to be, I will continue to maintain that they are a reputable company.

Just because I'm not a sheep that blindly goes along with the "common wisdom" doesn't make me wrong. I track my car and if the part makes my laptimes faster and can take the punishment of track duty, it's a quality part in my book, regardless of who made it.

PS: I have a Whiteline adjustable rear bar on my car. I chose that because I feel it is the best rear bar out there, so price clearly isn't a factor for me.


I agree with this statement we all remember when megan was an up comming company and was often reffered to as "cheap ebay junk"
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

Alexwaltman850
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:59 pm

Re: Godspeed/eBay parts VS OEM parts.

Postby Alexwaltman850 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:29 am

wow i had no idea this post would get this kind of attention but Im glad it is, i personally think its a really good question. i should mention i did buy a GSP four link rear setup with panhard bar and i expect it will hold up just fine on a DD. with that said i do want to buy some bushings for he stock linkages and do a comparison test this summer just to see what the differences truly are.

User avatar
Yosuke
Club4AG Enthusiast
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:51 pm
Location: Socal / Tokyo

Re: Godspeed/eBay parts VS OEM parts.

Postby Yosuke » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:31 pm

gotzoom? wrote:The primary reason road cars use rubber bushings is to dampen road noise and offer a softer ride. The unfortunate side effect of that on a race car is that the suspension alignment changes while you're driving. The the reason race cars use harder materials such as poly, delrin or metal is to hold the alignment better under load.


agreed. Bushings are all about tires. The more aggressive the tire compound, the more lateral G's and weight loads applied by the unsprung mass to the chassis = crushed factory bushings. This is especially evident during cornering, throwing off critical suspension geometry (alignment) in the areas where tire contact patch is really needed.
So in theory, having heim joints/pillowball on a street car is really unnecessary, but im all for polyurethane.
MKIV Supra Turbo
AE86 Levin ITB
Yamaha V8
http://www.ae86fightclub.com

User avatar
Yosuke
Club4AG Enthusiast
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:51 pm
Location: Socal / Tokyo

Re: Godspeed/eBay parts VS OEM parts.

Postby Yosuke » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:09 pm

chohdog wrote:
brands like Godspeed and Speed Daddy are just not that great unless you're on a budget.


Wrong. Those brands are crap regardless if you're on a budget or not. Whether you use (literally) poo as a gasket maker because you thing its good, or you're using (literally) poo because its free and comes out your backside, you're still sealing engine parts with poo. There's no instance where its the appropriate item to use unless you're putting it in a brown bag and setting it on fire at your neighbor's doorstep.



OMG thats disgusting but AMEN!

Would you trust a country man from Asia to make parts for your car? Or actual engineers who designed each and every component using data, experience, and passion?
MKIV Supra Turbo
AE86 Levin ITB
Yamaha V8
http://www.ae86fightclub.com

User avatar
Red
Club4AG Expert
Posts: 475
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:28 pm

Re: Godspeed/eBay parts VS OEM parts.

Postby Red » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:23 pm

That sounds like a trick question. No engineer makes parts. They just submit designs to the accountants, and then heaven help us all.

The country guy, now, he doesn't have to answer to accountants, he might actually get the better design in production and to the market.<G>

Remember, our cars were and are riceburners. Leave 'em out with snow and salt, and they rot through. alternators and ignition were a decade obsolete before they were built. Park 'em for 20 years, and the front end still hogs because there is no chassis. Built to a price? Damn right they were. Wouldn't surprise me if some of the parts were also "built to a price".

And the original OEM tires? Were worthless in snow or rain. Built to a price.
-- Original owner, 1985 GT-S

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.



Return to “Fun Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests