What happened here

Anything about cars, as long as it's clean...
No offensive language, no profanity, no nudity, nothing that your mom will slap you for...
Be nice to others.
jondee86

Re: What happened here

Postby jondee86 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:57 pm

Yeah... current generation seems to think that drifting is something new and they
invented it !!! But if you see old GP films from the time Fangio was racing, you will
see four wheel drifts on all the high speed corners :) Watch rallying from the days
when all the cars were RWD and you will see "tail out cornering" which is what it was
called before the name change.

Go to the dirt track and watch the bikes and cars drifting. Man... I used to go to the
local speedway and watch the bikes and midgets every Saturday night. Loved to see
the sideways action and admire the suicide jockeys on the sidecars. When you get
down to it, drifting is just one of the skills a racecar driver has to master if he or she
is serious about reaching the higher levels of the sport.

Drifting has developed as a "stadium sport" because it takes place on a compact track
which allows spectator involvement and provides commercial opportunities. I have
nothing against drifting but I would rather watch something like the WRC where the
drivers have to display their mastery in the whole range of driving skills... and then
there are the crashes :D :D :D

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert

Postby Nick94tt » Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:43 pm

High level rally is flat out terror at 11 tenths.. :lol:

Something awesome here is a "Hooligan" series with board track racing roots. All super affordable (by racing standards) spec style Harley racing. Probably one of the cheapest wheel to wheel racing formats out there aside from Miatas and used old formula Ford/carts/lower series single seaters.

Drifting is the eventual departure of norms from what grip racers think of "slip angle" - there's a somewhat perilous point between grip and slide that's fastest. The better your tuning setup, the wider the knife edge gets.

Got an update from the body shop. Orido's guys are hand building me a new front bumper.
:mrgreen: Will take a few weeks yet for shipping but I'm excited.

They've got the cf hood. Had to send the new spoiler back - crushed in shipping... Have the roof almost done and the replacement fender is there.

Still probably a month out before they even touch the car. Apparently.they built it a little shed in the corner of the body shop to keep it clean and out of the way. :lol:

Will still need a new wheel, and I've yet to check out the electricals/interior/all my audio and fuel cell gear in the hatch.

Apparently the front windshield was toast as well. Tack on another $1500. :lol:

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:46 pm

I can't help but think that beer has something to do with this....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDN_11fFKNg

But full credit to guys having a bit of fun and being prepared to put their pride
and joy down in the dirt with only tats and sneakers for protection. Right up there
with spectator drags for entertainment value :)

Sounds like your car will be fully restored to its former glory by the time it is all
done. I'd be looking to get a roof over its head before autumn when the trees start
falling :D

Cheers... jondee86

Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert

Postby Nick94tt » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:46 pm

Trees fall 24/7 in a forest. :D

Usually it's the tree that's been dead for 2-50 years that tips over. (Yeah, that)

Kudos to that guy high siding. Bit sad he had time to reproduce first. :lol: He took the landing like a champ though.

Decent shots of a 300lb+ street cruiser ripping around on the dirt....

https://youtu.be/imWKDsBQ_2o

Let's the common folk go full WRC for cheap assuming they have the "hold my beer" to keep the throttle pinned. :lol:

Car will eventually finish. They have to completely repaint it anyhow, lol.

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:38 am

Down under NZ had a bunch of pretty good speedway riders back in the day.
One of them was this guy... Ivan Mauger. Collected 15 world titles in short track
and long track in his career. This is him coming out of retirement to have some
races with another multiple world champion from England.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga5yai6w4iI

Not bad for an old guy... some commentators say Ivan was the best speedway
rider that ever was. Maybe that is overdoing it but he certainly was the best of
his era and maintained the winning tradition established by two other NZ greats
Ronnie Moore and Barry Briggs.

Speedway was huge in NZ back then but those days it is all about cars. Ugly
things with giant wings on top... look like leafcutter ants on their way home
from the forest :) The beautiful old midget cars are all in collections now...

Such a pity they can't build replicas of these with strict rules regarding power
and construction, and run them as a fun class for enthusiastic amateurs. You
could enjoy yourself in safety if the rules said skinny tires and 150hp max.

Cheers... jondee86

Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert

Postby Nick94tt » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:37 pm

With a few fiberglass molds and a cnc bent cage/chassis kit it might be doable.

I'm worried the car would be hideous with a modern approved roll cage though.

Small tires and a restrictor plate have long been the way to keep things under control.

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:01 pm

One of the reasons I liked riding dirt bikes is that there are no "nannies" to spoil
the enjoyment of riding as fast as you an over difficult terrain. If you ride beyond
your capabilities the lessons are swift and usually painful !!! It took me quite a few
years to become sufficiently competent (fall off less often) to the point where I
could fully enjoy my riding.

On a bike you have no steel cage for protection, no airbags or safety belts... your
ability to control the bike and adjust your speed to the conditions is critical to
survival. You need to be focused on what you are doing and free of distractions
that can take your eyes of the road ahead for a few vital seconds. Riding a bike
gives a sense of freedom, adventure and joie de vie that I have never experienced
when driving a car.

This is something that appeals to the modern teenager used to the adrenaline rush
of "dangerous" but actually totally safe entertainments and outdoor pursuits. After
watching X-Games and other videos of highly skilled riders doing difficult tricks its
down to the shop and grab a dirt bike. First day out find a ramp and start doing
jumps. Second day... I'll be good as soon as I get the cast off :)

Point of all this ? Life does not come with a money back guarantee. Mommy will not
always be there to hold your hand and keep you safe from harm. People need to learn
to make their own assessments of risk and danger and take responsibility for their
own actions. No-one can expect to be able to do hard and difficult tasks without
suitable learning, training and a lot of practice, no matter how easy it looks on TV !!!!

Oh yeah, and if we could just get over the need to turn every fun activity into a
competition with big prizes and sponsers, I think it should be possible to run vintage
midgets as open wheelers that still get by with a single rollover hoop :)

Cheers... jondee86

Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert

Postby Nick94tt » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:09 pm

jondee86 wrote:
Oh yeah, and if we could just get over the need to turn every fun activity into a
competition with big prizes and sponsers, I think it should be possible to run vintage
midgets as open wheelers that still get by with a single rollover hoop :)

Cheers... jondee86

I'd be game (for at least a lap, then I'd need like 4 days to be able to walk again. :lol: ). But the lawyers and the lawyer's lawyer's lawyers....

Whole thing is set up to self perpetuate. They always get a percentage. >_>

Fun story. Recently at the in-law place to help my youngster sis in law fix a lawn mower. In the middle of rebuilding and flushing the carb (sat with ethanol to the point where a Honda GX motor wouldn't start :shock:) I go to stretch and walk around. Her puppies (linked together on bungie leashes) managed to get wrapped up around her bicycle.

Wasn't even 10 meters away. Started "sprinting" before they finished wrapping up. Probably had 5 seconds to get there. Got there right after the bike got done squishing a pair of baby terriers.

Got them out, made sure they weren't hurt, sat down. Realized how much I hurt and puked.

So much for thinking I could actually move fast if i had to. Giant price is wrong trombone on that one. :lol:

Best part about 2 wheeled (and 3 wheeled) pursuits is they self moderate.

I maintain that restricting seatbelts to fire/emt/police would calm the roads down a whole lot faster than speed cameras. :mrgreen:

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:36 pm

I have never made a practice of wearing a seatbelt as I am philosophically opposed to
compulsory nannies. Only exception is when I am competing in an event or if there is a
police car following me :) Now I know that it is a stupid attitude and the ... what about
if someone else crashes into you? argument. But I have always believed that we should
be responsible for our own actions, and if do something stupid and get into an accident
and it is my fault, then I will wear the consequences.

My philosophy is universal... it applies to everything I do and have done in my life. You
have to be true to what you believe, and my beliefs have cost me dearly a few times !!

Now if you guys need a new president, here is the kind of man you should be voting for...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k8hJWKIVNs
A true legend who has earned the respect of sports fans worldwide. When Rossi comes
to see you put on an exhibition ride, you know you are watching someone special. And
at an age when he should know better, he was prepared to take the risk and show the
fans what that bike was capable of doing on the track.

Oh, and quite a few years back I was told that in South Africa it was mandatory to ride
a motorcycle for something like a year before you could obtain a licence to drive a car.
True or not, I think that scheme would teach new drivers a lot more respect for the rules
of the road and driving to the conditions.

Cheers... jondee86

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:20 pm

Nick94tt wrote:Her puppies (linked together on bungie leashes) managed to get wrapped up around her bicycle.

Interesting :) In South America the Gauchos used the Bolas made from several weights
tied together with short cords and thrown much like a lasso to bring down cattle.

Can I assume then that with superior technology North America has trained small dogs
joined with a bungie (for humane reasons) to bring down runaway children ? I guess that
will be good enough until robotic lawn mowers can be trained to round them up :D :D

Cheers... jondee86

Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert

Postby Nick94tt » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:38 pm

jondee86 wrote:
Nick94tt wrote:Her puppies (linked together on bungie leashes) managed to get wrapped up around her bicycle.

Interesting :) In South America the Gauchos used the Bolas made from several weights
tied together with short cords and thrown much like a lasso to bring down cattle.

Can I assume then that with superior technology North America has trained small dogs
joined with a bungie (for humane reasons) to bring down runaway children ? I guess that
will be good enough until robotic lawn mowers can be trained to round them up :D :D

Cheers... jondee86

While bolas are truly effective, we're still using fences and cages for children. :oops:

Gauchos bbq or hilltop communal gathering down in Argentina is still on the bucket list.

Just need to find a bucket first. Deer season has been unbelievably slow so far.

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:17 pm

When I visited Brazil a few years back, I was invited to an "all you can eat" churrascaria.
They have waiters continuously circulating around the tables with various types of meat
cooked on long sword type skewers. If you say yes they skritch or carve a piece off the
skewer onto your plate. They keep doing this until you turn your place holder face down...
a bit like turning your glass over in some drinking establishments :)

If you are a real carnivore then you would be in heaven :)

This problem you have with your back... is it an insurance issue or is it just not able to
be repaired ? Chronic bad back would be worse than a bad knee of hip as they can be
replaced, but never heard of anyone getting a spine replacement. My wife had a spinal
fusion done a long time ago, and she couldn't carry a bag of cement afterwards. Mind
you, she couldn't carry one before the disc went out either. So much for improvement :)

Cheers... jondee86

Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert

Postby Nick94tt » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:17 pm

<--- Carnivore.

My issue is apparently "complicated".

Workers comp says I'm ~8-11% ruined. My doctors (the insurance company gets to pay "doctors" for an Opinion... opinions aren't lies, so technically nobody is breaking an oath or the law. They get paid about $5000 US per "opinion". Generally a 30 second exam.) say I'm 85%+ ruined.

Been evaluated with head to toe MRI's by the head of the local spinal suite. ( Runs 4 hospitals ) Refused to operate for fear of screwing something up worse / couldn't figure out what to cut.

In short, I wish I lost a foot or had a broken (pick something), less to argue about. Spinal injuries are always subjective.

That said, I was in physical therapy with a guy with a broken vertebrae. He did "too well" in pt, and the in insurance revoked his therapy and ordered a return to work despite the doctor pointing out his spine wouldn't fuse and recover for another 3 months.

Welcome to the US. Third world health care at its finest - unless a $250,000 hospital bill isn't a big deal. :lol:

Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert

Postby Nick94tt » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:19 pm

Should clarify. I get 0 in terms of benefits or disability. For some reason that seems to matter to folks.

:lol:

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:17 am

Some things are worth more than money, and good health is one of them. Getting
the problem fixed so that you can go back to doing what you like or need to do is
more important. Unfortunately, as you have found, back injuries are difficult to
quantify... most doctors can count up to four limbs and work out if one is missing.
But an "invisible" injury that hurts like hell when you lift or turn a certain way, that
does become a matter of opinion.

Digging around inside a persons head or cutting open the spine does carry a lot
of risk. And with liability suits being the big business that they are in the US, it is
not hard to see why a surgeon might not be eager to take the job on. None the less,
surgical procedures are improving year by year, so your back might come out of the
"too hard" basket in another year or two.

Cheers... jondee86

Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert

Postby Nick94tt » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:30 am

My favorite is getting stuck on the sh*tter. Lols at legs working.

Biggest issue is never quite knowing when I'm going to just collapse and knock into the floor.

Lost the ability to joke (not entirely really) about asking the missus to just put one in the back of my head after my father in law checked out early.

Just saying. :lol:

Having been stabbed, beaten, and shot the idea of just getting fat and old with a non-violent injury turning me into a gimp is pretty funny.

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:41 pm

In the poker game of life you have to play the hand you get dealt. You have to adjust
to the conditions... make changes in your life rather than being angry that the world does
not change to suit your needs. Do the things that make you happy and avoid the things
that give you pain.

If you can laugh at your misfortune brother, you are handling it OK :)

I bought a set of second hand wheels for the BM and got some new Bridgestone RE003's
fitted up (I think they are branded Firestone Firehawks or something in the US). Going
to see how they compare to the el cheapo all seasons that I have been using.

Cheers... jondee86

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:49 pm

Happy with the look of these wheels. Nice conservative design that IMHO suit the car
better and are factory BM in the same sizes as the originals.

And I have decided that I won't be doing any more performance mods on this car. There
are a lot more mods that could be done if I was chasing big power for drag racing, but
they are awkward for a DIY guy to install. The car is fast enough for any normal driving
situation and I prefer to keep it quiet and reliable. I like being able to just get in the car
and drive to wherever without having to pack tools and spare parts.

These days I actually enjoy driving my car more than endless hours working on it in the
garage. I guess that is a sign of getting old and I'm not gonna fight against it :D

Cheers... jondee86

Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert

Postby Nick94tt » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:56 pm

I'd hold out hope, but it seems pre-existing conditions are about to be a free pass for insurers to just say no, and health insurance is about to skyrocket.

Plus side, got a small deer. So there's ~40lbs of "breakfast sausage" in the freezer. (Breakfast sausage here is usually 65/35 - 75/25 lean pork to fat. Heavily seasoned with peppercorns, cayenne, sage, etc. We added maple sugar, some toasted juniper berries, and capers... It doesn't suck.)

I like the new wheels. (I don't, I hate them, and I wouldn't buy them :lol:) They honestly really do look good on the German saloon though. Something about the euro angles and bbs style wheels. I'd hit it.

Wheels either "feel" right or they just look like a compound fractured broken foot to me. For some reason BMWs just get a pass on the bbs front. Lol.

Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert

Postby Nick94tt » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:04 pm

Quasi related, have things set aside for a full T56 Magnum setup for the supra assuming I ever get it back. :lol:

Not this year, but maybe by this time next year.

Still leaning towards a Haltech 2500T, some 2200cc injectors, and a "slightly" larger fuel pump.

On permanent hold as the missus finds a new gig and we try to relocate and grab ~100 acres.

Hopefully I'll get to bend your ear about all kinds of cannibalized automotive electronics to streamline an attempt to be a farmer. :lol:

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:35 am

Nick94tt wrote:They honestly really do look good on the German saloon though. Something about
the euro angles and bbs style wheels. I'd hit it.

That's more or less how I see it... Japan got the JDM style wheels, US got the muscle car
style and Germany got the Euro style wheels. I guess when you see them around often enough
OEM wheels just start to "look right" for whatever nationality of car you are into.

I certainly don't like all the BBS/BM style wheels but out of the 200 or so wheels they have
produced over the years there are about a dozen that I really like. The wheels on the car
now were not on my shopping list but when I saw them for sale at reasonable money they
were close enough. And now that I have them I think I'll stop looking.

When I had the Corolla I went thru at least a dozen sets that I bought and later sold. Some
made it onto the car for a while, and some just sat in the shed for a few years and then got
moved on. In the end I settled on the classic JDM style 8-spoke Watenabe's. Took me about
ten years to find a staggered set of 14's for sale locally :)

Cheers... jondee86

PS: What did you turn the deer into ?

Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert

Postby Nick94tt » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:13 pm

Deer became loose breakfast sausage. (Vs patties or cased sausage) Easier to freeze a couple pounds in a vacuum sealed bag. Saved all the ribs and legs/shanks/kidneys for my 15lb dog. We fight over the heart and liver.

Generally I save steaks and grind the rest for tacos. We fill in the missing fat with peanut oil - they're fantastic. No greasy aftertaste like beef (even super fresh straight from the good butcher - which oddly is fantastic in a rare-med rare burger, lol)

You're in a much better place to appreciate a clean living ruminant.

Generally speaking lamb/venison/other naturally pastured meat is "too gamey" for most Americans. :roll: Deer is like a super lean lamb. Flavor ranges from good beef to unique. (Most remove deer fat due to stearic acid - it makes the fat coat your mouth like chocolate does. It's weird. Tastes great, but you get this really odd chalky fatty aftertaste that just won't piss off. I've done a few sets of deer ribs. :lol)

The right wheels are like love. You'll know. I saw my Volk GT-Cs and knew. :lol:

Working on fixing the house up to potentially list and relocate. Takes a while when you cant work overhead for much more than 10 minutes. :lol:

Supra is still waiting for parts. :lol: At this point they can keep it till spring.

Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert

Postby Nick94tt » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:15 pm

Oh, I utterly hate Torque Thrust II's. :lol:

Had them on my '65 Galaxie 500XL...

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:46 pm

Countries are different... people are different... tastes are different. This does not make
one better or worse than another... everything develops in its own way according to the
rules of supply and demand and prevailing conditions.

Here in NZ 50 years ago deer were considered to be a nuisance and the government would
employ hunters to go out into the bush and shoot as many as they could find. These guys
were called deer cullers. One of my brothers was a culler for a couple of years and would
be out in the bush for weeks at a time living in a hut with another hunter for company. He
loved hunting with a rifle and later took up bow hunting to improve his stalking skills.

Unfortunately, a few years later, after he settled down and got a job in the city, he was out
hunting with a friend and was shot dead when carrying a deer back to camp. When I was
clearing out my mothers house I sold a mounted head from a 12 pointer Wapiti he had shot
many years ago. Modern attitudes no longer favour stuffed animal heads on the wall.

Now the circle has gone full turn and deer farming is a big business. Venison and velvet
are exported to Germany and other countries. A good demonstration that the only constant
in this world is change.

Was out beating on the BM in a street sprint on Sunday. First couple of runs it was wet but
improved for the last two. New tires worked really well in both wet and dry so took six
or seven seconds of my previous best time :mrgreen:

Cheers... jondee86

Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert

Postby Nick94tt » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:13 pm

jondee86 wrote:Countries are different... people are different... tastes are different. This does not make
one better or worse than another... everything develops in its own way according to the
rules of supply and demand and prevailing conditions.

Agreed. The sad part here is the massive waste and exclusion of food based on preformed opinion and misguided opinion - regardless of tastes.

Could we efficiently pasture just about everything without dumping so much corn fertilizer into the watershed that we have a dead zone bigger than most countries? - Yes, but profits would drop 5%. :roll:

My neighbor is actually dating someone that used to farm raise venison. (In American form - not quite CFAO but close.) They spent a lot of time fighting with disease and nutrition.

Deer need hundreds of well managed acres (or more appropriately ignored) land to properly thrive.

Some hypocrisy in that as deer thrive in numbers here because humans carve up the landscape and they thrive in all the little transition belts of green brush between homes, roads, and fields.

jondee86 wrote:Here in NZ 50 years ago deer were considered to be a nuisance and the government would
employ hunters to go out into the bush and shoot as many as they could find. These guys
were called deer cullers. One of my brothers was a culler for a couple of years and would
be out in the bush for weeks at a time living in a hut with another hunter for company. He
loved hunting with a rifle and later took up bow hunting to improve his stalking skills.

Unfortunately, a few years later, after he settled down and got a job in the city, he was out
hunting with a friend and was shot dead when carrying a deer back to camp.

Legitimately sorry to hear that. I'm hoping he was at least out doing something he loved. Nobody wins on something so pointless.

Apathy for not knowing what the hell you're shooting at gets no sympathy from me.

Even on private property I use a rope drag at least 2m long. (I've been shot with a broad head and lead, and shot at while walking through the woods while hunting - a few times, despite the head to toe blaze orange.)

The last time it happened a 1cm sapling got between my ribcage and a drunk shooter in a tree stand. Arrow deflected and I watched the fletchings fly by.

Stopped, called out. Guy came down from the stand crying about how he couldn't be sure he was shooting at a deer.

Somewhere in the resultant tussle I accidentally broke his trigger finger, wrist, an arm, a few ribs, and dislocated his shoulder, patella and ankle.

Patched him up, stopped the bleeding, bandaged what I could, hid his keys under his truck. Called the local game warden once I got back into town, guy picked up a DUI and multiple "So you're armed and drunk?" charges.

jondee86 wrote:When I was
clearing out my mothers house I sold a mounted head from a 12 pointer Wapiti he had shot
many years ago. Modern attitudes no longer favour stuffed animal heads on the wall.

Now the circle has gone full turn and deer farming is a big business. Venison and velvet
are exported to Germany and other countries. A good demonstration that the only constant
in this world is change.

Not surprising, and a great way to help negate a poaching vacancy(assuming poachers are satisfied bragging about trophies they didn't earn)

Personally I'm not much for the "let's have a bunch of heads on the wall judging me" decor. :lol:

That said, I very much love the idea of Japanese Gyotaku. Celebrate and document the harvest, but don't ruin it for the sake of a wall hanging.

Definitely a garage/man cave thing if I were going to bother with mounts.

(I also avoid large trophy bucks - rather take yearlings and does. Taste better, plus I'm inadvertently helping the local genetics for trophy males.

jondee86 wrote:Was out beating on the BM in a street sprint on Sunday. First couple of runs it was wet but
improved for the last two. New tires worked really well in both wet and dry so took six
or seven seconds of my previous best time :mrgreen:

Cheers... jondee86

Giant woot for that. I've found softening things up a click or two for the wet can help - comes down to the car and drive style but helps if you react "slow" and preplan transitions.

I honestly think there's more to be had in your transmission flash/throttle mapping than most else for your wet times. You can really dial things in. :D

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:00 am

These days hunting (like pretty much everything) is regulated and controlled. The Department
of Conservation administers all the recreational hunting on conservation land and encourages
hunters to take the young bucks. This has lead to there being a lot more older and larger bulls
surviving to pass on their genes so that Wapiti are generally larger now than they were 50 years
ago. Hunters are also more schooled up on safety in the bush, in particular on making sure that
they have correctly identified their target before pulling the trigger.

These days when there is a shooting accident there are emergency locator beacons, helicopters
and cellphones to get help on the way in minutes. Back when the brother got shot his hunting
partner had to run/walk for six hours to get out of the bush and start a rescue. But by the time
they arrived he had passed on. Stuff happens, and as you say, he died doing what he loved in the
surroundings that he preferred to all others. That was a long time ago... accidental shootings are
rare these days.

The deer farms that I have seen usually have a decent size field with a bit of bush included to
provide shelter for the deer. They get rotated around the farm like any other grazing animal and
seem to be treated in much the same way. They are a bit skittish but over time they get used to
normal farm activity and don't appear to be difficult to manage. I have not heard of disease
being a problem, and because of their value, the animals get the best of veterinary care.

In fact I once had a conversation with a man who farmed Fallow deer and said they were easier
to farm than sheep. Didn't need high fences or a lot of attention, and could be left alone for
long periods so long as they had access to grazing and water. My kind of farming :)

Cheers... jondee86

Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert

Postby Nick94tt » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:19 pm

jondee86 wrote:The deer farms that I have seen usually have a decent size field with a bit of bush included to
provide shelter for the deer. They get rotated around the farm like any other grazing animal and
seem to be treated in much the same way. They are a bit skittish but over time they get used to
normal farm activity and don't appear to be difficult to manage. I have not heard of disease
being a problem, and because of their value, the animals get the best of veterinary care.

In fact I once had a conversation with a man who farmed Fallow deer and said they were easier
to farm than sheep. Didn't need high fences or a lot of attention, and could be left alone for
long periods so long as they had access to grazing and water. My kind of farming :)

Cheers... jondee86

Here they require something like a 10' tall fence as our whitetail deer are vertical jumpers. A lot of our farming doesn't rotate pasture like you would expect, so the soil condition drops and the lacking feed is made up for with hay and grains. (Grain fed being much more popular here) The animals get much less acreage and disease inevitably follows.

CAFOs are the prime example (concentrate animal feeding operation). They jam 1000+ animals into a confined space and feed the hell out of them. (Think chicken houses, concrete pig pens, etc...) They have to medicate heavily just by the nature of constant contact.

Rotational farming makes so much more sense - but convincing modern cattle farmers to.move their cows every day to fresh pasture to allow the previous area to recover is a comically hard sale. Smart folks will follow the cattle with chickens - they scratch and spread the manure as well as eating all the fly larva and parasites. Further improving the pasture.

They take 2-3 months longer to get to finish weight, and don't have nearly as much fat. Despite tasting better and having a much healthier nutrition profile, commercial operations are volume first. Gaining some popularity with smaller scale farmers and ranchers.

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:00 am

Mostly Red deer for the big farms, but Fallow and Whitetail and Wapiti are also farmed. And
supplemental feeding is used when necessary if adequate natural grazing is unavailable. Plenty
of high fences around... always makes me laugh when I see sheep grazing behind the tall fences
when a farmer has given up on deer but hasn't pulled the fences down :)

Here in NZ farming is "open range" for most types of animals. Egg laying hens generally get to run
round outside as that is a strong consumer preference. On the other hand, chickens for eating are
shed raised. Pig farming is usually reasonably well hidden from public gaze as it seems that a lot
of people really don't want to know where their breakfast bacon comes from, or what kind of
conditions the animals live under.

Being a small country that still derives a large portion of its overseas earning from exporting farm
and horticultural products, NZ producers tend to focus on niche markets and shoot for the high
end of the market with superior quality. This means that we have very strict regulations for GE,
QA, handling, labeling and hygiene for exported products. And the spinoff from this is that our
domestic consumer (supermarket) food products are generally also of good quality.

Of course, nothing is perfect and there are things that slip thru the net from time to time. But
there are a lot of groups that take an interest in making sure that farming practices are ethical
and livestock are well treated. Sometimes nannies do have a role to play :)

Cheers... jondee86

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:27 am

At these street sprints there are typically 50 competitors running one car at a time... so
about one off the line every two minutes. What with letting the odd tanker truck thru to
the bulk petrol (gasoline to you) storage compound, sorting out the odd small off course
incident, drivers briefing and getting course set up, we only get four timed runs :|

I don't have any suspension adjustment on this car and just run it with stock tyre pressure.
As I had not run this course in the wet before I was really wanting to try the traction control
setting and compare manual shifting with letting the trans decide when to shift.

Here you can see that the car stays reasonably flat in the corners... a lot of the other cars
lift a wheel under hard cornering. And I also wanted to see how hard I could brake before
the ABS kicked in... the kind of thing that you can't really do on public roads without being
a nuisance to other drivers. So for me these sprints are for having a bit of fun... not trying
to win anything or push the car too hard... I have to drive it home afterwards :D

Cheers... jondee86

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:03 pm

The internet is full of experts offering their opinion on everything based on some third hand
unsubstantiated hearsay that they got of their g/f who once dated a guy who said he was a
NASCAR driver. But just occasionally you can find a decent reasonably technical post from
someone who actually had a problem and fixed it themselves :)

And as it happens I chanced upon such a post from a guy who killed his engine while tracking
his BM. Had an oil starvation problem (most likely due to pulling 1g+ on a long radius curve)
that resulted in a bunch of melted big end bearings. This post was linked by a local guy who
had the same type of failure that cost him a rebuild, and was looking to see what he could
do to prevent it happening again.

Oil starvation under high G cornering is well known problem with many cars that are tracked.
What I found interesting is that the BM is marketed as a high performance sports sedan, and
as such I would have expected that the factory to at least baffle the sump to keep the pickup
wet under high G cornering. But apparently not.

It made me wonder if my "spirited" driving at the street sprint was likely to cause any problems.
Of course, a street circuit only has right angle bends and I don't run R-comp tyres so while the
oil may slop around a bit under braking and cornering, it is not sustained. So I have convinced
myself that I am OK :D

But it did bring it home to me that if you are planning to track a standard production model
of almost any breed, you have to pay attention to making sure your oiling system is up to the
job. There is a good reason that race cars have dry sump setups, oil coolers, Accusumps etc.
No good spending a fortune on aero, brakes, suspension and bigger turbo if your engine goes
into meltdown after a couple of laps.

Modern aftermarket ECU's have the ability to monitor an oil pressure sensor and instantly cut
the engine if the pressure drops. That alone would be worth the price of admission on a race car.

Cheers... jondee86