What happened here

Anything about cars, as long as it's clean...
No offensive language, no profanity, no nudity, nothing that your mom will slap you for...
Be nice to others.
Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert

Re: What happened here

Postby Nick94tt » Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:56 pm

Petrol is petrol. (Until you start adding ethanol... >_>) ^_^

Car looks really well planted - there doesn't look like it has much left to give considering how compressed the front is. I really do like a bit of body roll to help define tire grip limits. That's definitely a smooth progressive input to that corner - great photo / and photographer.

The long lateral G has always been a killer, early LS motors particularly. Fun class action lawsuit for GM selling a "race car" that couldn't deal with cornering without turning a bearing to golden glitter.

A lot of homemade baffle setups out there.

Similar for Honda motors that were designed to be mounted inversely. Have to account for the change in pickup geometry and baffling.

Older cheap car on slicks? I'd run some thicker oil and a half quart/quart too much. Assuming the gaskets were healthy worst case you lose 5%.

That pretty silver thing? Maybe go up a grade and swear off sticky tires if you're hitting a circle track. Otherwise I'd just drive the hell out of it and change fluids 2-3x as often. - fortunately you can fact check me with the bmw guys. ^_^

My indirect experience with accusumps hasn't been great. Concept is excellent, but motors still shred bearings when the time is right.

Comes down to the fact that at full load (on high hp builds) it takes all of 0.0000s to oops a bearing if you lose oil pressure. (Do the math on how long a bearing is loaded in a high hp 4 stroke motor spinning at 8k if you want to, I'm going with - margins aren't big. :lol: )

I'd definitely trust a standalone to kill timing and fuel before a low pressure switch actuated a pressurized reservoir.

I intend to actually run 2+ pressure sensors on the Supra when I get to it.

Along with coolant temp/pressure, and potentially 6 egts depending on risk/reward of having sensor elements fragment under normal daily driving.

Going from 2 projects to 0 projects really doesn't help planning. :lol:

"May as well grab billet caps and a full ARP set...."

Cheap insurance. :lol:

There's a "permaculture" trend here in the US that's having trouble main streaming. Oddly makes sense. Essentially works around the idea of improving your land to build towards self sufficiency while bettering the quality of the land itself.

Ie - pigs to clear brush and till soil creating pasture for cows and chickens. If you do dairy and can't deal with 10 gallons of milk a week you can feed the rest to the pigs, lol.

The chickens and pigs do the work to till the cattle manure into the gardens before planting. The ducks can eat all the slugs and beetles in the garden from time to time....

Likely seems normal there (I've got a stereotype in my head of ya'll aggressively working to do things that benefit the land and most things on it - not just because it makes sense...), but here it's looked at as pointless and old fashioned. (Due to modernization and growth of the corporate farm)

Unrelated - I still desperately want to visit and catch an eel with a sock. :mrgreen:

Take that car forums. Oddball ramblings. :lol:

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:24 pm

Haven't heard much about ethanol problems here. For many years we had 91 and 95 RON
to choose from with no ethanol added, and comparatively recently added 98 to the pumps.
Most brands added 10% ethanol to achieve 98 except for BP and they went with a pure
petrol blend. That is the one I use and pay a 10% premium.

Last out of town trip I discovered that the oil companies have devised a cunning plan to
improve their profits. 95 has disappeared from the pumps leaving only 91 or 98. So now
the choice for anyone with a older mid-range type car is either less octane than you need
or more octane than you can use.

Funny how the big companies who collect billions in tax for the government via the pumps,
can get away with this kind of stunt. Over half of every dollar spent on petrol goes to the
government in the form of various taxes, and they levy the tax as a percentage of the
pump price. So while while they publicly deplore the burden high gas prices place on car
owners, they don't for a moment consider reducing the level of tax. Behind closed doors
they are rubbing their hands together at the thought of the extra revenue.

There was a time when the government worked for the people. Now the people work for
the government one and a half days a week... or at least the ones who pay tax do.

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:45 pm

Nick94tt wrote:I'd definitely trust a standalone to kill timing and fuel before a low pressure switch
actuated a pressurized reservoir.

Been a while since I read up on the Accusump type pressurized reservoirs, but I was interested
in them for two reasons. One was to release oil when turning the ignition on to get around the
dry lifters rattle that I would get on the Corolla after it had sat for a few days. The other reason
and the more important one for racing, was to hope that the reservoir could release enough oil
to avoid instant bearing death if the oil pressure dropped suddenly.

My concept was to run the engine with the solenoid valve open so that oil was free to move in
and out of the reservoir. If there was a sudden drop in pressure, a sensor would instantly cut the
engine and the reservoir would inject a few quarts as the engine spun down without any load.
That idea was to cover the known issue of high rpm 4AGE oil pump failures. Traditional solution
for high G corners with a 4AGE was wings and trap doors for the sump.

These days even the high dollar 4AGE builds are going to dry sump setups. Personally, I am never
going to build a real race car and am quite happy with a fast road car :) Building a road car into
a race car actually involves pushing it past its design brief, and if it is going to survive it will need
improvements in every department. I have been reading about what can be done to a BM to make
it fast enough for the track... stopped reading when it said lose 200kg by gutting the interior.

Now, if I was serious I would be saving up and putting my order in for one of these....

https://carbuzz.com/news/bmw-2002-trans ... hp-monster

Cheers... jondee86

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:14 pm

Up until the end of 2019 (not being in the US) I had never had much interest in or taken much
notice of American politics. I did know that unlike countries that operate under the Westminster
System, when the governing party changed in the US a lot of political appointees lost their jobs.
This struck me as odd inasmuch as public servants in this country hold (allegedly) their positions
on merit, and outside of parliament nothing much changes when the ruling party changes.

However, with the advent of covid and Trump, the world has looked on with horror and amazement
of at the ugliness of US politics that revealed itself in 2020. Now, I have some understanding of the
entrenched attitudes and tribalism that gave rise to the KKK, lynch mobs and the assassination of
presidents. These attitudes continue to be seen in police brutality, political nepotism, corruption
and an administration that favors the rich at the expense of the poor.

I don't think I have ever seen a more overt demonstration of corporate greed than that displayed
by the medical-pharmaceutical-insurance alliance. Neither have I seen a country that claims to
be a democracy allow its experts and advisors to be overruled by a single megalomaniac intent
on furthering his own interests at the expense of public safety. Be that as it may, what is even
more disturbing is that half of the American public continue to support the GOP when the damage
their president has inflicted on the American people is huge. When opportunities were available
to show courage and leadership, his thoughts were elsewhere.

The US has becoming a laughing stock on the world stage. For the sake of humanity, let's hope that
2021 will see the return of some sanity to US politics. Otherwise... God help America !!!

Cheers... jondee86

PS: When flaming this post please adhere to the forum rules :)

jinx
Club4AG Expert

Postby jinx » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:04 am

i don't listen to stupid. I don't listen to evil = mainstream news. That never ends well
Do your own research

zze86
Club4AG Regular

Postby zze86 » Thu May 13, 2021 7:23 am

Only read through parts of the thread so forgive me if this point of view came up already. And I realize it s a slightly older thread but wanted to throw my 0.02 cents in.

Was on Club4ag d@mn near the start when I was in my late teens and had a collection of 5 ae86s by the time I was 20, 2 that became parts cars, a coupe (daily), a hatch (autoX/HPDE/drift) and a longterm project hatch. Also went through a number of other 4ag powered cars. They weren't so cool back then - Integras, Civics, DSMs, ruled the scene - but they were FUN and CHEAP so you could afford to pick them up for dirt! Being in the upper Midwest, Club4ag was a treasure trove of knowledge from the CA and guys out west who were closer to "the scene".

In 2004? 2005? I can't remember exactly, but rapid domestication meant I couldn't really concentrate on cars anymore and sold off all but one of chassis. My wife says she's never seen such a sad look on my face, before or since, as the day they drove off with my hatch. ~In 2013(?) I was looking to revive my lone ae86 chassis and popped onto Club4ag to find things had drastically changed. The old site was gone, a lot of the knowledge base was gone. As well, the ae86 legend had blown up! <- I partly blame MotoP and his involvement in FormulaD, lol. The aftermarket scene was really poppin but spare parts were skyrocketing! The family was still growing so spending discretionary funds for asking prices on parts meant reviving my old chassis was a no go at the time.

Fast forward to 2021 and my oldest son is getting of driving age and getting interested in cars. Asked me about my old chassis I've kept around and his eyes just got real big when I told him it was a ae86, lol. Had to temper his expectations with what I expect he's heard/read/watched about the car but he wants to fix it up as a "fun" car. So I've decided it would be a great father-son project and back on here to get back into the scene.

I'm finding it REALLY hard to swallow the crazy prices people are asking for a chassis/spare parts. If I did not have a chassis sitting around I would not be getting back in. I mean people are asking $3000+ for a non-driving, beat up SR5 chassis?!?!? Stock garage queens are going for $20k+!!! Parts are so cost-prohibitive that a swap with custom...everything is cheaper, lol. I get the supply and demand thing, and the ae86 is a fun car but there are A LOT of good alternatives out there for the money people are asking.

So long story short....life happened and getting back into the ae86 (or any old Toyota for that matter) is no longer cheap...or at least there are equally compelling alternatives. Furthermore, more people are on social media than on forums these days. The other car forums I frequent (S2000 and Honda Element) have experienced the same downturn in activity. The difference with those sites are they are newer with relatively sane prices (OK, maybe not the S2000 so much anymore) so there's more turnover in ownership so new members are constantly joining asking questions and doing new stuff. Forums tend to be better for technical information vs social media.