Garage Star vs T3 Baby Daddy brake kits

Anything about cars, as long as it's clean...
No offensive language, no profanity, no nudity, nothing that your mom will slap you for...
Be nice to others.
Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Garage Star vs T3 Baby Daddy brake kits

Postby Jayrdee » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:32 am

So, I took my AE86 to my first track day ever and absolutely destroyed my pads after the first 20 minute session. I ended up snapping a bleeder valve on one caliper too towards the end of the day. With that being said, I'm looking to upgrade my brakes.

I've had my eyes on both the Garage Star StopTech kit and the T3 Baby Daddy kit. Both come with new pads, calipers, rotors, and brake lines, which sounds super tempting considering I'm all on stock oem stuff.

Does anyone have experience with either kit? Or is it even worth it? Both are around the same price range.
Here are links to both kits:
https://garagestar.com/shop/parts/brakes/big-brake-kit/ae86-toyota-corolla-front-bbk-big-brake-kit/
https://technotoytuning.com/toyota/ae86/ae86-baby-daddy-front-brake-kit-14-inch-wheels

Just FYI, my AE86 is just a stock 4age with Fortune Auto Coilovers. I don't plan on building this thing into an all out race car, but I do intend to drive the sh*t out of it!
[I have no idea what I'm doing]

jondee86

Re: Garage Star vs T3 Baby Daddy brake kits

Postby jondee86 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:14 pm

Stock engine car does not really need bigger brakes. Stock rotors, decent pads
and fresh high boiling point brake fluid will de the job all day. I use a full set of
Hawk HPS (high performance street) pads on stock rotors and they are an easy
step up from standard pads if you want a bit more stopping power :)

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:58 pm

And FFS.... what's with that product name T3 ?????

Cheers... jondee86

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:49 am

LOL I know, the name is kind of odd. In context with their product lineup it makes sense since the bigger version is called the "Big Daddy", but then again the phrase "Baby Daddy" on its own .....

Yeah, I figured these kits would be kind of overkill, but then again T3's 20% black friday sale is sounding pretty tempting. Battle Garage will be having a black friday sale too, and they offer the T3 kit for even cheaper!

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:26 pm

Nothing wrong with having more than you need... if you add more grip and more
power in the future it will come in handy :) These little cars are a hoot to drive
hard and bigger brakes will dissipate heat better, so that gives you a bit more of
a safety margin if the track is tough on brakes.

Cheers... jondee86

Billy_Andrea
Club4AG Expert

Postby Billy_Andrea » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:02 pm

I have the T3 kit on my car & love it. Can brake very late / hard, never have any fading issues etc... Highly recommend.

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:07 am

Well, I got an unexpected bonus from work so I pulled the plug on the T3 baby daddy kit! I also got a Cusco front sway bar so hopefully that stabilizes the rear end a little more

Billy_Andrea wrote:I have the T3 kit on my car & love it. Can brake very late / hard, never have any fading issues etc... Highly recommend.

What kind of pads did you get? Just the standard ones that come with the kit?

Billy_Andrea
Club4AG Expert

Postby Billy_Andrea » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:49 am

Jayrdee wrote:Well, I got an unexpected bonus from work so I pulled the plug on the T3 baby daddy kit! I also got a Cusco front sway bar so hopefully that stabilizes the rear end a little more

Billy_Andrea wrote:I have the T3 kit on my car & love it. Can brake very late / hard, never have any fading issues etc... Highly recommend.

What kind of pads did you get? Just the standard ones that come with the kit?

Ya, just the standard ones that come with the kit. More than enough for me.

Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert

Postby Nick94tt » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:51 am

Different chassis, but I've got nothing but positives about Hawk HP Streets on my supra. Bit more aggressive on the rotor wear, but a ton of bite. Cant imagine you would need more than a decent stockish pad considering the capacity upgrade but they're a nice step between stock and full on race pads - especially for a street car. Waiting on pads to warm up to be able to stop isn't much fun in traffic. :lol:

cincybranr
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby cincybranr » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:51 pm

I was dead set on doing a brake upgrade. My car will be about 75% street use on stock motor and decently sticky tires. I was talked out of doing upgraded calipers etc. The majority of the advice given was just to upgrade the pads and the brake lines. I decided to go with a street/sports pad and some Stainless Steel lines. Whatever is best for you but good luck on whatever you decide to do!
Progress. Not perfection.

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:45 am

cincybranr wrote:I was dead set on doing a brake upgrade. My car will be about 75% street use on stock motor and decently sticky tires. I was talked out of doing upgraded calipers etc. The majority of the advice given was just to upgrade the pads and the brake lines. I decided to go with a street/sports pad and some Stainless Steel lines. Whatever is best for you but good luck on whatever you decide to do!

Let me guess ... the guy who talked you out of it is more of a young drift guy who sources jdm parts for people :lol: :lol:
He questioned my decision for getting the brake kit when I posted about it on FB haha

I look at it more like an investment. The majority of us 86 owners could do without a caliper upgrade. Aggressive pads and all that would be more than enough. BUT I'm a firm believer in its better to "have it and not need it" vs "need it but not have it". The track in my area is pretty big. Lots of high speed sections with immediate technical corners so you're heavy on the brakes. That makes these cars a blast to drive when you're with cars that have twice the power (and twice the weight).

I also like having the peace of mind knowing I don't have to hunt down discontinued 40 year old used calipers Lol.

Unfortunately it poured at the last track day so I didn't get a chance to really test out the new brakes, but it was still a blast.