What's your other car?

Anything about cars, as long as it's clean...
No offensive language, no profanity, no nudity, nothing that your mom will slap you for...
Be nice to others.
ApexTaq
Club4AG Regular

What's your other car?

Postby ApexTaq » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:29 am

What else do you drive? What do you think of it and how does it compare to your 86? Do you only care about reliability, do you look for a totally different experience, or is it all about practicality? Thought it would be interesting to see what everyone values in their daily or other projects.

Having just smashed my workhorse (commuting mule) 07 Civic sedan to death after 175,000 miles, I'm in the market for a newer car. Daily driving the Corolla is a good time, but sitting in traffic in it is not. No AC is going to be killer soon too. Looking for some ideas.

aukword1
Club4AG Expert

Re: What's your other car?

Postby aukword1 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:13 am

2017 Toyota 86, 860 edition. Got it specifically for a daily driver cause the AE86 brings too much attention. It's reliable so far, I just wanted something that is fun to drive and not have to worry about for a while. Being the so-called predecessor of the AE86 is an added bonus as well. Only downside is that with California's new registration fees it costed me over $500 to register it last year. I'm hoping that comes down this year a bit.

UNLIMITED 86
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby UNLIMITED 86 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:55 pm

2010 Lancer Evolution GSR
1997 4runner 4cyl 5speed 4X4

Bought the Evo X to daily drive. It is a great car but I got tired of how expensive it is to maintain (tires, brakes, and fluids every year isn't cheap) so now it sits. Not to mention all the $ i dumped into mods...

Was looking for a Tacoma when i found the 4runner (which just happens to be rare). Ended up falling in love with it and dumping a bunch of money into the suspension. Most of the issues are well known with 3rd gens. As long as those issues are addressed, they can be great as a DD. Plus, I dont need to ask friends to borrow their trucks when I need to transport something big.

I currently drive my Corolla daily but when summer comes around, i usually daily the 4runner.

Your civic should have easily gone 300K. How did it die?
IG: unltd_86

Parts for Sale: https://offerup.co/profile/ae86

WTB: OEM Windshield, hatchback 3rd brake light, and a clean Kouki Trueno Front bumper (also willing to trade mine + cash/???)

ApexTaq
Club4AG Regular

Postby ApexTaq » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:50 am

aukword1 wrote:2017 Toyota 86, 860 edition. Got it specifically for a daily driver cause the AE86 brings too much attention. It's reliable so far, I just wanted something that is fun to drive and not have to worry about for a while. Being the so-called predecessor of the AE86 is an added bonus as well. Only downside is that with California's new registration fees it costed me over $500 to register it last year. I'm hoping that comes down this year a bit.

I wasn't aware of those new registration rules. I've been thinking of test driving a BRZ or 86, as I only drove an FRS once in 2013 and don't really remember how it felt anymore (didn't even know how to drive manual back then). I owned a 2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 for a while and don't recall having such high registration. Was that something done this year?

How does it compare to your Corolla?

And yeah, I think I'm probably gonna attract Irvine PD attention with the new exhaust regs if I keep dailying it. And I'm getting mildly tired of the "dude, Back to the Future?" comments too.

UNLIMITED 86 wrote:2010 Lancer Evolution GSR
1997 4runner 4cyl 5speed 4X4

Bought the Evo X to daily drive. It is a great car but I got tired of how expensive it is to maintain (tires, brakes, and fluids every year isn't cheap) so now it sits. Not to mention all the $ i dumped into mods...

Was looking for a Tacoma when i found the 4runner (which just happens to be rare). Ended up falling in love with it and dumping a bunch of money into the suspension. Most of the issues are well known with 3rd gens. As long as those issues are addressed, they can be great as a DD. Plus, I dont need to ask friends to borrow their trucks when I need to transport something big.

I currently drive my Corolla daily but when summer comes around, i usually daily the 4runner.

Your civic should have easily gone 300K. How did it die?

I did intend to keep the Civic indefinitely. With just an HFP suspension replacement at around 135k, it was a fun car to throw around on mountains without worrying about wear and tear. Bonus that it could haul essentially anything I needed with the seats down. But yeah, the recent rains and traffic resulted in a total loss. Front of the car was destroyed in a three car incident. Airbags went off, subframe damaged, radiator destroyed, and a bunch of other small damage totaled it. The engine was in great condition and I had just refreshed my front bumper cover and lights too... Part of me just wants to find an 8th gen Civic Si sedan. Great chassis and engine. But another part wants RWD and new.

I was actually saving up for a 2nd or 3rd gen Tacoma or 4runner, but that would probably be another project that can't fit into my life right now. Like the Civic was only 12 years old, but the thing still needed frequent enough work that I'd be trading off daily duty with the Corolla every couple of months.

UNLIMITED 86
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby UNLIMITED 86 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:36 pm

ApexTaq wrote:Front of the car was destroyed in a three car incident. Airbags went off, subframe damaged, radiator destroyed, and a bunch of other small damage totaled it.

Makes sense now. Scared that will happen to my Corolla but cars were ment to be driven so....
IG: unltd_86

Parts for Sale: https://offerup.co/profile/ae86

WTB: OEM Windshield, hatchback 3rd brake light, and a clean Kouki Trueno Front bumper (also willing to trade mine + cash/???)

aukword1
Club4AG Expert

Postby aukword1 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:20 am

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/conne ... OD=AJPERES

Fee increases that started at the beginning of last year. I got hit with a lot because that was my first registration of the car from being brand new. It should be less this year though.

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:03 pm

I lease a 2015 Scion tC at the moment. My contract ends in May and I plan on turning it back in, really wanting to get an early 2000s Land Cruiser or 4Runner. Something I can haul my music gear around in. I tore up the hatch in the tC loading/unloading all my guitar amps and stuff haha.

People talk sh*t about the tC, but honestly its not a bad car. Reliable, somewhat good mpgs, looks cool, etc. I think it would have been a bigger hit if they made it in a rwd configuration. As soon as I got it, I slammed it on coilovers and daily drove it like this for years Lol.

Since Im turning it back in I put it back to stock form. Kind of funny, upon taking off the coilovers I found the passenger rear shock was blown LOL. College campus roads were not too kind
[I have no idea what I'm doing]

ApexTaq
Club4AG Regular

Postby ApexTaq » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:06 am

Jayrdee wrote:I lease a 2015 Scion tC at the moment. My contract ends in May and I plan on turning it back in, really wanting to get an early 2000s Land Cruiser or 4Runner. Something I can haul my music gear around in. I tore up the hatch in the tC loading/unloading all my guitar amps and stuff haha.

People talk sh*t about the tC, but honestly its not a bad car. Reliable, somewhat good mpgs, looks cool, etc. I think it would have been a bigger hit if they made it in a rwd configuration. As soon as I got it, I slammed it on coilovers and daily drove it like this for years Lol.

Since Im turning it back in I put it back to stock form. Kind of funny, upon taking off the coilovers I found the passenger rear shock was blown LOL. College campus roads were not too kind

How does it drive? The tC always seemed like a pretty good platform variation. I liked the look. I don't know what people were expecting for the price. Granted, I don't think Toyota realized that millenials were probably not gonna be able to afford even a $17k car at the time, so it could have been general hate for new cars.

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:36 pm

ApexTaq wrote:How does it drive? The tC always seemed like a pretty good platform variation. I liked the look. I don't know what people were expecting for the price. Granted, I don't think Toyota realized that millenials were probably not gonna be able to afford even a $17k car at the time, so it could have been general hate for new cars.

In my opinion, it drives/feels like a "raw" 2-door Camry, which thats basically what it is. Even at stock height you can really feel the road. They did a good job making a basic entry level car feel somewhat sporty. The only complaint I have with it is the interior, its all super cheap plastic. But then again, thats what makes it a Scion and not a Lexus Lol. Other than that, yeah its great for what it is. I think they were one of the best looking vehicles Toyota released, especially the 1st gen tCs when they're slammed to the ground.

Another thing to remember, when Scion first debuted as a brand they not only had affordable cars, but they had a laundry list of TRD upgrades you could get. Wheels, Superchargers, etc. They even put together tons of events and car shows. Did a really good job establishing a Scion community, but that all stopped eventually. And the cars got more expensive. Like, why spend 17k on a Scion tC when you can spend 17k on a Toyota Corolla? (2015 MSRP)

Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert

Postby Nick94tt » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:12 pm

'94 Supra. Been my good weather "daily" for about 20 years now. Think I just hit 89k miles.

The Corolla is actually my "snow car" :lol:

Currently have it apart to pull the head and clean up the ports. Had the timing belt shred (tensioner seized) so I figure if I'm in that far I may as well clean up all the casting flash, oil returns, and smooth out the ports if they're as misaligned as some of the ones OldSchool has posted photos of.

Beyond body work there isn't much left that I haven't rebuilt or replaced. (Basket case I picked up to tinker with.) Nice to be able to get decent rotors and pads for all 4 corners for under $60, lol.

At least 200k+ on the chassis, motor likely has more. Figure I've got all the spare gaskets and parts, why not.

Comparisons... The Corolla is a hell of a lot more subtle, :lol:. Actually deals with bad roads a bit more gently and I can sit in the seats longer thanks to the lumbar pump. (My back is... well. Fckd. :lol:) Lot of fun being able to smash through 3-4 gears and not commit a felony. Have 15x8's with nice all seasons on it - it's a go kart. Even with an open rear it's a lot of fun. Having a trunk for the first time in years is amusing - the supra has a fuel cell, large alcohol friendly pump, and stereo gear in the hatch.

Obviously, it's slower and stops longer. It also gets 26+mpg regardless of whether I treat it gently or like a rented mule.

The supra will do 25+ if I drive like a snail, but that's also on premium.

Supra is the better touring car, more reliable (has not been chopped and tinkered with by a teenager), and safer overall. Costs substantially more for maintenance, and insurance companies aren't a fan of replacing 18x9.5 Volks. :lol:

I think I've got full coverage with 0 deductable for something like $12/month on the 86. :lol:

Nick. ^_^

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:03 am

Nick94tt wrote:'94 Supra. Been my good weather "daily" for about 20 years now. Think I just hit 89k miles.

F*ck! So jealous!!

All you need now is an FJ60 Land Cruiser and you'll have the trifecta of Toyotas!

Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert

Postby Nick94tt » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:15 pm

Jayrdee wrote:All you need now is an FJ60 Land Cruiser and you'll have the trifecta of Toyotas!

Truth. Though I haven't ever really had a place or desire to go off road. Would very much enjoy one.

Plans are uncertain for the 86 beyond stock-ish driver. It's effectively a cheap automotive education on 4 wheels. (Will be my shaping/welding instructor) Should it get hit or I cant keep up with rust I'm not against using the mechanicals for a locost 7.

Wife wants a 54-56 Ford truck, so eventually I need to be good with sheetmetal forming and chassis building - prices on running examples aren't exactly falling, lol.

sirdeuce
Club4AG Pro

Postby sirdeuce » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:15 pm

My 'other' cars?
Daily is a '97 BMW E36 and '90 Yota PU. Thems the other cars to save the '87 AW11 and '07 Mazdaspeed3.
Gone down from having 2 '86 AE86s, 7 AW11s, 2 AE82s, '71 '73 '77 '83 Celicas, '71 '72 '77 '81' '02 Yota 2X4 PUs, '83 Yota 4X4 PU, '64 Beetle, '96 'TJ' Wrangler, '98 Cherokee, '89 BMW E30, '02 Miata, And an '03 Mazda 3. Yup, Had all those at the same time! California LOVED me! Now we're down to the 4 cars listed above that list and a new project, '86 4Runner. And my dumb ass is looking at a '93 Yota PU project. It's an addiction I tell ya!
One shot, one kill.

sirdeuce
Club4AG Pro

Postby sirdeuce » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:16 pm

Maybe I shouldn't have said addicted, Next they'll put cars on the class 1 narcotic list!
One shot, one kill.

Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert

Postby Nick94tt » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:32 pm

sirdeuce wrote:Maybe I shouldn't have said addicted, Next they'll put cars on the class 1 narcotic list!

Truth. :lol:

Worst I've ever pulled off was 3 cars short term or 2 cars and a bike.

Last snow car was a '67 firebird with a warmed up 400. :mrgreen:

Before that, a 6 bolt / 4 bolt awd talon.

Done the whole IS300/mk2 mr2/last gen celica thing as well over the years.

Didn't bother with anything beyond stereo work and maintenance prior to the supra. Corolla is so cheap for parts I dont hesitate to go way outside my comfort zone.

sirdeuce
Club4AG Pro

Postby sirdeuce » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:57 pm

I might consider trading the AW11 and speed3 for an S-FR, if they ever get it out, and released in the US
One shot, one kill.

Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert

Postby Nick94tt » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:00 pm

sirdeuce wrote:I might consider trading the AW11 and speed3 for an S-FR, if they ever get it out, and released in the US

I'd be hard pressed to let go.of the aw11. I miss my sw20. Looks like a really entertaining platform with an actual Toyota driveline. No chance of it landing here for $12.5k entry. :lol:

Sadly following the usual Toyota route of late though - low power, proprietary electronics. >_>