Smoking.

Anything about cars, as long as it's clean...
No offensive language, no profanity, no nudity, nothing that your mom will slap you for...
Be nice to others.
Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert

Smoking.

Postby Nick94tt » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:04 pm

Figure since I'm out doing a test run with half green wood I'd post. Local power company knocked down a 100yr old red oak tree. Have 3-4 cords of wood to sort through. Currently have chicken thighs and pineapple smoking away over a bed of coals. :D

Have a giant list of nonsense ro fix with my 86 coupe - figured I'd share something i'm half good at, lol

aukword1
Club4AG Expert

Re: Smoking.

Postby aukword1 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:42 am

I always wanted to try slow smoking some wild boar or venison. Why type of setup do you use for smoking? I'm assuming a home made rig?

Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert

Postby Nick94tt » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:26 am

Had a wall of text ready to go and my connection dropped when I sent it, lol.

I use a cheap barrel grill a friend gave me - his mom was apparently tired of seeing it on her deck. :lol: If I eventually learn to weld an insulated double walled reverse flow is on the list. Something a single chimney of charcoal can run for 15-20hrs... Neighbor has a machine shop, lol.

Venison is really easy to oversmoke. I did a 200lb doe's neck for pulled venison and only the smoke lovers would touch it.

Half frozen backstrap steaks thawed while smoking 20-30 minutes, then seared leaves you with something like super lean rare brisket. Awesome stuff.

Wild pigs don't have as much fat as their farm cousins but I'd love to try. They just need to go ahead and make it to Maryland. :lol: Have family in Tennessee that had the local golf courses hire shooters, so they're making progress.

Best place to start is chicken. I can usually get thighs and legs for under $1/lb. Won't hurt your feelings if you screw those up. Pulled pork takes a ton of time, even at higher temps (and it's not as good)... When you're ready, do a chuck roast. They're nice and even thickness, smaller, and cook faster.

Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert

Postby Nick94tt » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:09 pm

Just got a 150+lb doe this evening. :D. Nice to have a fridge full of free meat, just don't have any room for beer... :lol: