Speeduino? Arduino powered ECU?

Anything about cars, as long as it's clean...
No offensive language, no profanity, no nudity, nothing that your mom will slap you for...
Be nice to others.
Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Speeduino? Arduino powered ECU?

Postby Jayrdee » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:16 am

Has anyone ever heard of this?

https://speeduino.com/wiki/index.php/Speeduino

Hardware / feature list
https://speeduino.com/wiki/index.php/Overview

The arduino mega by itself is a pretty powerful micro-controller, and its all open-source so its easy to write code and upload it to the board. I see them all over campus with other engineering students too. For big EE / Programming nerds like myself, this is DIY ECU is super interesting. I browsed quite a bit through their forums and there's a few people that have them running on their daily driven vehicles. I wouldn't be opposed to giving this a shot with my AE86.

https://speeduino.com/shop/index.php
[I have no idea what I'm doing]

UNLIMITED 86
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: Speeduino? Arduino powered ECU?

Postby UNLIMITED 86 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:23 pm

If this were available when I was a broke-a$$ engineering student, I'd be all over it; Low risk/high reward. On a stock 16v?

I took a few Mechatronics classes that used a BASIC Stamp when I was in school. I had to build a robot that could handle a bunch of different obstacle courses. For the last test, each student set up their robot in a conga line (robot was programmed to follow/track objects).

Now, it sits on my desk at work. Whenever someone asks about it, I turn it on and they always get a kick out of it.
IG: unltd_86

Parts for Sale: https://offerup.co/profile/ae86

WTB: OEM Windshield, hatchback 3rd brake light, and a clean Kouki Trueno Front bumper (also willing to trade mine + cash/???)

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:58 pm

UNLIMITED 86 wrote:If this were available when I was a broke-a$$ engineering student, I'd be all over it; Low risk/high reward. On a stock 16v?

I took a few Mechatronics classes that used a BASIC Stamp when I was in school. I had to build a robot that could handle a bunch of different obstacle courses. For the last test, each student set up their robot in a conga line (robot was programmed to follow/track objects).

Now, it sits on my desk at work. Whenever someone asks about it, I turn it on and they always get a kick out of it.

Exactlyyyyy. I'm broke, so this is perfect haha. And yeah this would be going on a stock 16v. I'd like to do ITBs later too (just because they look cool) so having a programmable ecu is a must. I know the whole thing uses that TunerStudio software, but I wonder how in depth I could go in the arduino with my extra little coding background.

That robot sounds dope. I wish my university had more classes like that where you actually build stuff. I always do better in the labs, but since the University of Kentucky is a research school, they're all about the books/theory.

aukword1
Club4AG Expert

Postby aukword1 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:47 pm

I think it would be fun just to build one of these just for the experience. If you can build a megasquirt you can definitely do this.

jinx
Club4AG Expert

Postby jinx » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:32 am

build it and they will come

oem electronics r old now, n could use an upgrade
every old car forum can use a resident standalone-ecu guru
we have a megasquirt one on out starquests forum... he's made a helluva difference, in yielding some fast fun cars
I believe one of the early DIYauto guys was a member here.... MR2 4AG on their website might be him... James?

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:47 pm

jinx wrote:every old car forum can use a resident standalone-ecu guru

I like the way that sounds 8-)

I really think I'm going to do it sometime in the near future. I'm poor, and like aukword1 said, it sounds like fun and good experience.

Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert

Postby Nick94tt » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:11 pm

I did a bunch of reading (and registered) there and it definitely seems promising. Effectively an open source Mega or Micro Squirt clone that uses tuner studio. Price is definitely right for screwing around with a car you'll never get your money back out of.

I'll be following along and watching should you.go.that route.

Also, drop $50 to $100 for a shrink tube label printer. That way you can use bulk single color wire but have every single thing labeled at each end and any bulkheads. 8-)

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:30 pm

Nick94tt wrote:Price is definitely right for screwing around with a car you'll never get your money back out of.

Lol you got that right! And also cheap enough to where if I mess up, no big deal.

Right now I'm saving up for a JimStim before I buy all the speeduino parts so I can do as much bench testing as possible before I start hooking sh*t up to my car Lol. I want to understand everything front and back.

There are a small number of things I gotta look into as well, the biggest being crank sensor. Speeduino needs one to function properly, and 4age's don't have them so I gotta figure out a way to get a 0-5V square wave to the board.

I'll probably make a different "official" thread once I start getting stuff.

aukword1
Club4AG Expert

Postby aukword1 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:48 pm

You have a couple of options to get that square wave signal. Easiest would be to go to the junkyard and pick a crank sensor off a 90s ford equipped with EDIS. Then you would need a trigger wheel, i used the one from T3 cause it bolts right on to their crank pulley. Make sure you use shielded wiring from the sensor to the ECU. At that point you might as well convert it to COP's as well. Also, if it's using tuner studio you have the option to set the cam sensor as the main sensor for the firing. Does the speeduino specifically require a crank sensor? that just seems weird to me.

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:55 pm

aukword1 wrote:You have a couple of options to get that square wave signal. Easiest would be to go to the junkyard and pick a crank sensor off a 90s ford equipped with EDIS. Then you would need a trigger wheel, i used the one from T3 cause it bolts right on to their crank pulley. Make sure you use shielded wiring from the sensor to the ECU. At that point you might as well convert it to COP's as well. Also, if it's using tuner studio you have the option to set the cam sensor as the main sensor for the firing. Does the speeduino specifically require a crank sensor? that just seems weird to me.

Yeah I know t3 sells trigger wheels, which is perfect because I still want to upgrade all my pulleys.

I don't know if you HAVE to have a crank sensor, but I don't see anyone using a speeduino without a crank signal.
I don't even think a standard 16v 4age uses a cam sensor either, does it? Based on the ECU pinout diagram, it looks like all that stuff is tracked internally using the distributor and igniter? Going to the distributer have the two pick up coil signals, G- and G1, and then the engine speed signal, Ne. The igniter gets its own two signals, timing and confirmation ...

... Which makes me wonder if there's a way to literally program an internal "crank signal" by manipulating the engine speed signal or something. Its all square waves, which are 1s and 0s in the digital world.

I'm just bullsh*tting at this point. I need to stop procrastinating on my homework Lol.

Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert

Postby Nick94tt » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:35 pm

Crank signal's well covered with the Squirt crowd.

Agree 100% on going cop. Grab some off a k series honda or lsx at a pick and pull. Well documented and durable.

Might be someone local that would let you borrow a jimstim. Check their forums. ^_^

I'm fairly stoked you're progressing. I'd honestly rather just tie in a sta ndalone than keep chasing 30+yr old gremlins.

Somewhat sad tho. Guy locally just sold some poncams super cheap, but couldn't trade him my buddy club - he'd just parted ways with his 86.

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:34 pm

Nick94tt wrote:Crank signal's well covered with the Squirt crowd.

Agree 100% on going cop. Grab some off a k series honda or lsx at a pick and pull. Well documented and durable.

Might be someone local that would let you borrow a jimstim. Check their forums. ^_^

I'm fairly stoked you're progressing. I'd honestly rather just tie in a sta ndalone than keep chasing 30+yr old gremlins.

Somewhat sad tho. Guy locally just sold some poncams super cheap, but couldn't trade him my buddy club - he'd just parted ways with his 86.

Lol kind of funny you mention borrowing a jimstim, because I'm talking to a local guy right now who built a megasquirt for his turbo miata who has one.

aukword1 wrote:Does the speeduino specifically require a crank sensor? that just seems weird to me.

I think I jumped the gun with my response. I think the Speeduino does NEED a crank signal, my guess is thats how the dude made it. BUT, that doesn't mean you have to have a crank sensor. I just found a thread that answered my question about the signals coming from the distributer.

"In short, what happens is the dissy is obviously spinning with engine RPM, and generating the variable reluctance (VR) signals "G1" and "Ne". Ne is the cam position signal from the multi-tooth wheel, giving the ECU the exact rotational position of the engine within it's cycle. G1 is a reference signal that the ECU can use to determine what cylinder the engine is up to.
The ECU reads these signals, then applies it's ignition advance according to its programmed ignition map, and sends the IGt signal out to the Ignitor.
The ignitor fires the ignition coil according to the IGt signal.
The ignitor also generates a return signal to the ECU - IGf - to let the ECU know that the ignition event was sucessful.

Pretty simple really."

http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/thread ... -and-guide

Instead of having an actual crank sensor, we can use those Variable Reluctance signals "G1" and "Ne" as the crank signal, but we have to convert it to a 0-5V square wave. Luckily they make VR conditioners to do that for us.

aukword1
Club4AG Expert

Postby aukword1 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:05 am

Yea the old megasquirt used the distributor signals so i couldnt understand why it wouldnt work with the speeduino. I have a buddy who is interested in trying to build one of these with a blacktop 20v. I will probably help him out with it and post my findings here.

Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert

Postby Nick94tt » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:37 am

Assuming you want to use the stock harness you can pull the connector out of a spare/dead/junkyard ecu - or likely order one from the diy site. Then just re-pin things accordingly. ^_^

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:57 pm

aukword1 wrote:Yea the old megasquirt used the distributor signals so i couldnt understand why it wouldnt work with the speeduino. I have a buddy who is interested in trying to build one of these with a blacktop 20v. I will probably help him out with it and post my findings here.

Nick94tt wrote:Assuming you want to use the stock harness you can pull the connector out of a spare/dead/junkyard ecu - or likely order one from the diy site. Then just re-pin things accordingly. ^_^

The goal for me is to make it as plug-n-play as possible. So yeah I'd like to stick with using the distributor signals.
I'd like to get my hands on a spare ecu for the connector too. I even saw a few videos of people using factory ecu's with jimstims which I thought was really cool. Nick, whats this "diy" site you're speaking of?

Haven't made much progress though. This semester is sh*tting all over me right now Lol.

Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert

Postby Nick94tt » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:25 pm

Nick, whats this "diy" site you're speaking of?

Diyautotune.com

The shop side for the megasquirt folks.