After market hatch question

Anything about cars, as long as it's clean...
No offensive language, no profanity, no nudity, nothing that your mom will slap you for...
Be nice to others.
broku-hachi
Club4AG Enthusiast

After market hatch question

Postby broku-hachi » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:40 am

My hatch is pretty rusty and beat up, and I was thinking about going aftermarket.

For any one who has bought a Seibon CF hatch, do they all come with a pre-drilled hole for the rear windshield wiper? All of the web sites I've been looking at use the same stock photo with an existing hole.

On a side note, is the carbon fiber really worth it over fiberglass? I have no experience with the two options and I'm just looking for a little input.

thanks.

aukword1
Club4AG Expert

Re: After market hatch question

Postby aukword1 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:31 pm

from personal experience, fiber glass is good enough. I've had a lot of carbon fiber on previous builds and CF will eventually yellow if the car sees sunlight and will break pretty easily if not careful. CF is for show, FRP is for everything else IMO. On a side note, Seibon has some of the best CF products out there but I cracked a set of fenders from hitting a pothole.

broku-hachi
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby broku-hachi » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:04 am

thanks for the reply.

I've been leaning more towards frp because of cost, but shipping is so crazy out to the islands that I was thinking what the hell spend the extra bucks. We do have a lot of pot holes out here though, so I guess that is something to think about as well. hahaha

From your experience is it ok to run factory hardware with cf/frp parts(latches, struts, etc.)?

aukword1
Club4AG Expert

Postby aukword1 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:55 am

Yeah those spots should be reinforced to allow for struts and latches. For a hatch door, it would be pretty hard to break because of its position. But it all comes down to what you are going to be doing with the car. If for show go CF, if gonna see alot of track time, I'd keep it FRP personally.

Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert

Postby Nick94tt » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:30 pm

Not a ton of difference between the two weight wise. I agree that seibon has some of the nicest available parts available out of the bunch.

If you're going to paint it - FRP and help offset shipping. If you want to rock the carbon naked - automotive 2k clear with UV blockers and keep up with waxing. In theory you could use a UV blocking boat varnish. A lot of the headlight restoration folks do and seem to have decent results. (The epoxy in carbon yellows and oxidized just like plastic headlights.)

I wouldn't see an issue with stock hardware for a hatch. Hoods get pins, period. Admittedly watching my buddy's crx completely bottom out, blow his shocks, and crush the roof and windshield was REALLY gratifying 25 minutes after I mocked him for not having hood pins. :lol:

Nice thing with a hatch is if you've got a friend at a body shop you can drop it off scuffed and taped and they can reclear it if they've got extra in the gun. Or grab a $20 can from the parts store and handle.it at home. Same style activated paint. Plus, who doesn't always have something new or used that could deal with some fresh paint?

cincybranr
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby cincybranr » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:24 am

Saw this and thought I would chime in because I had the same Question. I reached out to grandmighty on IG who has a YouTube Channel Corner Balanced because I saw him install one. He said that the CF hatch from Seibon did NOT come with the wiper hole or the Lock hole, but it does have the holes underneath for the hatch cover plate (cheap cardboard piece).
Progress. Not perfection.

UNLIMITED 86
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby UNLIMITED 86 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:05 pm

Nothing fits like stock. Why not just have it repaired?

Unless youre trying to shave weight, its a waste. Save the $ for something more worthwhile.
IG: unltd_86

Parts for Sale: https://offerup.co/profile/ae86

WTB: OEM Windshield, hatchback 3rd brake light, and a clean Kouki Trueno Front bumper (also willing to trade mine + cash/???)

broku-hachi
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby broku-hachi » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:05 pm

Thanks for the replies. I've just been thinking about some options. I've contacted several parts dealers, and shipping is a little too outrageous for my blood. I already started cutting the rot from my original hatch, but it's real far gone. I was able to find another spare hatch that was rusty as well, but luckily not in areas where mine was. Got the panels prepped and ready to go. :D

UNLIMITED 86
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby UNLIMITED 86 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:55 pm

Sounds like I may have underestimated how much rust youre dealing with but I still think you made the right decision.

I see bent hatches for sale here in socal. Check CL. If you see something cheap that you want cut up and shipped to you, im down to help you out for free (no charge for my time but you have to pay for parts and shipping).

Let me know, brah.
IG: unltd_86

Parts for Sale: https://offerup.co/profile/ae86

WTB: OEM Windshield, hatchback 3rd brake light, and a clean Kouki Trueno Front bumper (also willing to trade mine + cash/???)