what would you pay for this SR5?

Anything about cars, as long as it's clean...
No offensive language, no profanity, no nudity, nothing that your mom will slap you for...
Be nice to others.
Deuce Cam

Re: what would you pay for this SR5?

Postby Deuce Cam » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:03 am

It's a lot. Way too much imo.

Edit: Here's an example of a reasonably priced roller sr5: https://asheville.craigslist.org/cto/5372358151.html

zem
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby zem » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:14 pm

Deuce Cam wrote:It's a lot. Way too much imo.

Edit: Here's an example of a reasonably priced roller sr5: https://asheville.craigslist.org/cto/5372358151.html

the only reason its reasonably priced is because its an automatic coupe with a sunroof lol.
#savethe86

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:15 pm

Deuce Cam wrote:It's a lot. Way too much imo.

It's a decent price and the hood scoop comes free with the car. ;) However, it's an auto trans and for me anyway it's gotta be a manual and hatchback. Thanks for that, if you see anymore good deals let me know.

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:41 pm

^I didn't realize it had to be a hatch. Just curious why? Fwiw the coupes are lighter, more rigid and quieter. Plus their less subject to 'takumi tax' and more easily fly under the radar. BUT, I am familiar with the need for a hatch - VERY common newb theme.

Zem wrote:
the only reason its reasonably priced is because its an automatic coupe with a sunroof lol.

Interesting points. Did you see the amount of work involved for last 2 cars though? The average person doesn't understand those points anyway. Not everybody is a fanboy, or even an enthusiast - those are the sellers to hold out for, otherwise just someone reasonable (or desperate).

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:59 pm

Deuce Cam wrote:^I didn't realize it had to be a hatch. Just curious why? Fwiw the coupes are lighter, more rigid and quieter. Plus their less subject to 'takumi tax' and more easily fly under the radar. BUT, I am familiar with the need for a hatch - VERY common newb theme.

Sorry i didn't specify that it has to be a hatch. Nothing to do with anything but the fact i find them more pleasing to look at. Yeah, i am a newbie to the world of AE86. But i've always longed for the '80s look car. They have a soul that todays cars don't seem to have. No i am not gonna white/blk Panda it out and put Japanese Kanji on the side advertising tofu delivery.
My buddy in college had an old isuzu impulse that was manual rear wheel dr and a lot of fun to drive when it ran. Hehe. It's not as nice to look at though as the ae86 imho.

I am, however, not new to cars as far as body work goes. I'm no expert don't get me wrong but i have learned enough to do an ae86 fixer upper from my last project that was around 4 1/2 years in length.

ae86714
Club4AG Expert

Postby ae86714 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:01 pm

Here's the local one I've been kicking myself for not having the money for:

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/5387887438.html

Sucks when you see an 86 so much nicer than yours for sale, and they are asking pretty much what you have invested in your ongoing project. Prices are all over for these cars, its all about timing. Just have the money ready and be patient.

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:49 pm

^Not bad, at least from the pics. The zenki jdm trim bits are pretty rare in good condition (especially the front emblem and rear bumper). That stuff alone can fetch $2k+.

notnilc20 wrote:
Deuce Cam wrote:^I didn't realize it had to be a hatch. Just curious why? Fwiw the coupes are lighter, more rigid and quieter. Plus their less subject to 'takumi tax' and more easily fly under the radar. BUT, I am familiar with the need for a hatch - VERY common newb theme.

Sorry i didn't specify that it has to be a hatch. Nothing to do with anything but the fact i find them more pleasing to look at. Yeah, i am a newbie to the world of AE86. But i've always longed for the '80s look car. They have a soul that todays cars don't seem to have. No i am not gonna white/blk Panda it out and put Japanese Kanji on the side advertising tofu delivery.
My buddy in college had an old isuzu impulse that was manual rear wheel dr and a lot of fun to drive when it ran. Hehe. It's not as nice to look at though as the ae86 imho.

I am, however, not new to cars as far as body work goes. I'm no expert don't get me wrong but i have learned enough to do an ae86 fixer upper from my last project that was around 4 1/2 years in length.

No worries just poking fun. Plenty of OG's prefer the hatches also. They tend to fetch more $, more aerodynamic, and more practical for hauling stuff.

Caccomando
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Caccomando » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:42 pm

SR5's, GTS's, Hatchbacks, Coupes. Manual, Auto, Zenki, Kouki. Show car or Drifter...I love them all, they all are cool and worth something to me.

Cant help it.

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:03 pm

Here is another one im considering. It has rust like this on both sides and the owner says this is all the rust. What do you guys think? It's an '84 sr5 hatch manual trans with fuel pressure issues according to owner. He wants $2,000. I have some body work experience but it is mainly with fiberglass bodies. I can weld too. Thanks for the help guys.

Grant
Club4AG Expert

Postby Grant » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:55 pm

If there is that much rust on the rockers, there is definitely more rust underneath the bumper cover. I would bet money on it.

All that has to be completely cut out and have new metal welded in. Being able to weld and being able to do metal bodywork is pretty different, but if you think you can handle it then go ahead.
Is the car driveable? If not I would be hesitant to buy this car since who knows if fuel pressure is the only issue.

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:16 pm

Dude... holy cow $2k for that? Sellers be trippin... That's scrap price $300.

If you can't wait for a better option, perhaps shipping one in from somewhere else (or doing a road trip) should be considered. You'll spend more and/or do more work, but it may be worth it in the long run for a solid body at least.

Fyi here's a hatch that popped up in my region: https://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/5401867824.html . Not saying you should go after this one but it's more reasonable, even though still a mess.

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:32 pm

Deuce Cam wrote:Dude... holy cow $2k for that? Sellers be trippin... That's scrap price $300.

If you can't wait for a better option, perhaps shipping one in from somewhere else (or doing a road trip) should be considered. You'll spend more and/or do more work, but it may be worth it in the long run for a solid body at least.

Fyi here's a hatch that popped up in my region: https://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/5401867824.html . Not saying you should go after this one but it's more reasonable, even though still a mess.

Thanks again deuce. Yeah that last example is what i'm talkin about. Good example. I'm looking for a project car. I sent that seller a msg but he/she hasnt replied yet. Please if you see anything else let me know.