Buying an ae86 as a first car (again)

Anything about cars, as long as it's clean...
No offensive language, no profanity, no nudity, nothing that your mom will slap you for...
Be nice to others.
IndiaDorifto7
Club4AG Expert

Re: Buying an ae86 as a first car (again)

Postby IndiaDorifto7 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:59 pm

Thanks for the help guys! I'm still going to look for hachis, they aren't too rare in Southern California; I'll see what I can do. I'll heed your guys' advice and also look at 240sx's as well as Cressidas. Summer is coming up, so a hachi or Cressida or something else could be a good project car too.

IndiaDorifto7
Club4AG Expert

Postby IndiaDorifto7 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:03 pm

I'll skimp on the hard core drifting with the ae86. That's what 240sx's are for XD . Alright, ae86 as a daily then, no drift missile junk, I've grown older and wiser now, no more Takumi fantasies, I've seen what beat up drift cars look like, I don't want my car to end up as a scrap heap like that

.TRD.TRUENO.
Club4AG Regular

Postby .TRD.TRUENO. » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:59 am

IndiaDorifto7 wrote:I'll skimp on the hard core drifting with the ae86. That's what 240sx's are for XD . Alright, ae86 as a daily then, no drift missile junk, I've grown older and wiser now, no more Takumi fantasies, I've seen what beat up drift cars look like, I don't want my car to end up as a scrap heap like that

Allow me to share a couple things for you to keep in mind.

First of all don't get an 86 because you need a car, get it because you WANT an AE86. I say this because there will be long periods of time where you will not be able to drive it... maybe even months at times. It could be due to waiting on parts, or just getting it to run. You also can't blame it for suddenly stopping on the side of the road and missing class lol.

Another thing is patience. Whether its the above reason or even just looking to buy one, it will take time. I spent almost a year until I found what I was looking for and at the right price. There were many candidates along the road but I couldn't "catch" em. Please keep in mind, there are many out there in your situation. And you are either gonna need luck or be quick enough to snag the deal before others get em.
^ Those are deep words...
86s are truly special things.

The next tip I'm going to say is a bit hypocritical. Don't listen to anyone who says differently. I've had countless people tell me how much of an idiot I am for getting such and old car when I could have gotten something more reliable, comfortable, and safe. At one point, I remember my mother's disapproval of me getting a "deathtrap" :lol:

But the most important factor with an 86 today is money. Overall it comes down to money. Yes you can finally get your hands on one for 5k... but then what? You will be astonished how fast "a couple" of parts will drain you of your spare change.
It could be refurbishing the aesthetics (body work, paint, and wheels) or freshening up the interior or simply, getting it running. You are going to need to invest wayyyy more than double the cost of what you got it for.... unless it's fully built and bought at the price of 13-15k. I remember back when I was in highschool, I wanted to get into the drifting scene and I wanted a 240... but back then prices were steep to get one setup. Then I turned to the ae86 and thought "wow its so cheap!"
Not anymore... Now, you can find 240s everywhere and they're way more reasonable price wise. But I've immersed myself deep into the 86 world.... < there's no going back ;)

So... Are you determined? patient? and saved up more than all the other kids? ready to live of ramen? And after all the blood sweat and tears, will you be satisfied cruising down the street in something that's fresh, stands out from the crowd, and gets all the asians to pull out their camera phones?

Then yes. Good luck~

IndiaDorifto7
Club4AG Expert

Postby IndiaDorifto7 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:01 pm

Thanks for the advice, I don't NEED a car, I'm starting a car club in school so I need one in that sense, so yeah :)

.TRD.TRUENO.
Club4AG Regular

Postby .TRD.TRUENO. » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:44 pm

idreamofdrifting wrote:
Redlines without the Center Panel is like....

-The Earth without oxygen
-The Jackson 5 without Micheal
-Keiichi Tsuchiya without an AE86
-James Bond withhout gadgets
-Club4AG without The 4AGE
-James Cameron without The Teriminator
-Morning without Coffee
-Computer without an Operating System
-Summer without Hot Girls
-The 80s-90s Chicago Bulls without Jordan
-Nintendo without Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc.
-Sex without climax
-Tomb Raider without Lara Croft
-Fast & Furious without Paul Walker

In other words, it just isn't right.

:shock:

IndiaDorifto7
Club4AG Expert

Postby IndiaDorifto7 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:31 pm

-Fast and Furious without Paul Walker
Darn it idreamofdrifting, the last thing a car guy needs to be reminded of is the loss of Paul Walker. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

IndiaDorifto7
Club4AG Expert

Postby IndiaDorifto7 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:30 pm

What would you guys think of a mkiii supra as a first car compared to an ae86. I like that the supra has more power and speed and doesn't suffer from any "tax." I'm also considering that too. Sorry if I'm too pushy just looking for some advice thanks guys :D

Grant
Club4AG Expert

Postby Grant » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:30 pm

IndiaDorifto7 wrote:What would you guys think of a mkiii supra as a first car compared to an ae86. I like that the supra has more power and speed and doesn't suffer from any "tax." I'm also considering that too. Sorry if I'm too pushy just looking for some advice thanks guys :D

Sure it doesn't have any "drift tax" but it does demand a higher price, especially for a nice one. It would be a real shame to buy a nice classic car and then crash it due to inexperience at the wheel. I'm not saying you're going to crash, but I would hold off on getting a rare/nice/powerful car until you have some experience. Just my opinion.
You'll be fine in anything though if you take your time and treat it with respect, well... except maybe a Dodge Viper. Those things intentionally try to kill their drivers. :lol:

IndiaDorifto7
Club4AG Expert

Postby IndiaDorifto7 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:42 pm

Just checking back in on this thread. 4 years in and loving my GTS hatch... just did the TRD springs and brakes just waiting on camber plates

IndiaDorifto7
Club4AG Expert

Postby IndiaDorifto7 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:43 pm

And so much for not NEEDING a car, my GTS is my daily commuter to UCSD and back home :lol:

idreamofdrifting
Club4AG MASTER

Postby idreamofdrifting » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:56 pm

I was going thru some old threads and man...time flies!
Even though I was out of the 86 scene for about 5yrs, I am SUPER GLAD, I did not sell mine! SUPER GLAD! LOL!
BUMPING this old thread for some excellent tips, and funny comments LOL!
oh and IndiaDorifto7, how about some updated pics of your 86?

Grant
Club4AG Expert

Postby Grant » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:33 pm

idreamofdrifting wrote:I am SUPER GLAD, I did not sell mine! SUPER GLAD! LOL!

Me too. 8-)