Stock 4age need to pass STAR SMOG HELP

AE86reaper
Club4AG Enthusiast

Stock 4age need to pass STAR SMOG HELP

Postby AE86reaper » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:34 pm

looking to pass STAR station smog test so motor has to be legit, would also appreciate info on this matter like what parts are needed to pass this ty in advance
Daily: 06 Mitsu Galant
Fav. Car: 85 Toyo Corolla Hatch (under construction)
Other Car: 69 Chevy Nova (4 sale)

ae86714
Club4AG Expert

Re: Stock 4age need to pass STAR SMOG HELP

Postby ae86714 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:28 pm

do you have a motor in the car already? Your best bet is to get someone to give you the "hookup" if so. And by "hookup" I'm not implying you should do anything illeagal... wink wink. But to pass smog in CA you basically have to have ALL OEM emissions related items still installed. Things like stock intake and airbox(or CARB leagal aftermarket), egr and vacum lines in tact, the cat and all exhuast before it, PCV needs to be connected, charcoal canister, and a functioning check engine light that isnt already lit. just off the top of my head, could be a few more items I'm forgetting in order to pass just the visual inspection.

AE86reaper
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby AE86reaper » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:21 pm

my current motor is a rebuilt and will never pass smog there for need a whole other engine, have a hook up but dont want to risk it would rather grab another one with all smog parts included, then pass with the star station that screwed me over (long story) then go to the hook up for the following check ups. that way dmv has no suspicions why my car been back and fourth. hope i make sense
Daily: 06 Mitsu Galant
Fav. Car: 85 Toyo Corolla Hatch (under construction)
Other Car: 69 Chevy Nova (4 sale)

Garage7RP
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Garage7RP » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:31 pm

Let me see if I understand you:
1.The motor you rebuilt is not a stock rebuild and have performance modifications that would affect the readings.
2. You do not have all the stock emissions components for the engine and vehicle or you do not want to install all the parts but you have it available.
3. You are inquiring if anyone has a spare stock vehicle to take and smog.

sirdeuce
Club4AG Pro

Postby sirdeuce » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:00 pm

What mods do you have? Are you in a location that dynos the car or just does the two speed tailpipe test? Warmed up street engines can pass if tuned right. If you have a formula engine it ain't happenin'. Mild port work and cams with a bump in compression can be made to pass, but it takes some doing. Any way you go at it you need the stock components installed. With mods you have a good chance of needing a NEW catalytic converter, make sure the cat is HOT when they test. Try to get your idle as close to the max as possible without going over, 1100rpm I believe is the max. There are things you can do to buck the tests. Might consider playing with ethanol mix as well. I have a Hilux with a carby engine, passed with flying colors! Has a dead cat though. I used E-85 mixed in at about 30%. The truck ran well enough for that week, then went back to whatever was cheap. But it passed!
One shot, one kill.