WTB AE86 Corolla GT-S Hatchback

chaossilvr

WTB AE86 Corolla GT-S Hatchback

Postby chaossilvr » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:52 pm

Hey everyone!
I posted this in the other thread, but I wanted to post it here and maybe get some feedback and opinions?
As the title says, I'm in the market for a GT-S Hatchback. I live in Michigan so unfortunately the market is pretty dry in that area.
A little bit of background, I watched Initial D a few years ago and absolutely fell in love. I've also always loved a nice AE86 Hatch but finally have funds to get one myself. Joel Mcdonald, the english voice of Takumi, is going to be at a convention in my area and I wanted to have one for him to see since the only other time I met him he said he's never seen one in person. It's something I've long wanted to accomplish and hopefully I can find one!

Back to the ad...
I'm looking for a GT-S hatch, and even though it's a long stretch, I'm hoping for one with low mods and a complete interior.
Minor rust is fine as long as the body is straight and good, and miles don't matter too much.
If it has an engine swap or anything that's awesome, I just want to keep it as close to stock as aesthetically possible.
Color isn't too important to me either.
I'm not that good with a wrench yet so I'd prefer something that doesn't need much work.
I'm working with a budget of around $9000 including shipping/picking up. I'm hoping that will get me a pretty awesome one, but still have my fingers crossed.

Any thoughts and opinions would be helpful, I'm looking to try and get one within the next month or so! :)

xslowpokex
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: WTB AE86 Corolla GT-S Hatchback

Postby xslowpokex » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:46 am

Your best bet would have been that 20k jdm panda 86 that is currently for sale on this forum...otherwise you are going to struggle for sure bro, goodluck man...

Rizzaj86
Club4AG Regular

Postby Rizzaj86 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:33 pm

I'm going to be honest with you as it is now a days finding a decent GTS at a whopping 3K even is impossible here in California. Your best bet is to look outa of this crummy state CA. I can tell you if u do have 9K to spend... spend it else were an AE86 is never gonna be worth that kind of green unless your an enthusiast. I would never spend that kind of green on one ever that's insane. My top dollar is 3000 for a GTS because that's what there honestly worth we all know that. Word of advice buy outa state like I am currently doing I'm driving my AE86 back about 1000 miles or more that's worth the drive versus paying a **** ton to some car flipper. Never get suckered into buying a corolla it's still only a corolla.

Anko

Postby Anko » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:23 pm

Rizzaj86 wrote:I'm going to be honest with you as it is now a days finding a decent GTS at a whopping 3K even is impossible here in California. Your best bet is to look outa of this crummy state CA. I can tell you if u do have 9K to spend... spend it else were an AE86 is never gonna be worth that kind of green unless your an enthusiast. I would never spend that kind of green on one ever that's insane. My top dollar is 3000 for a GTS because that's what there honestly worth we all know that. Word of advice buy outa state like I am currently doing I'm driving my AE86 back about 1000 miles or more that's worth the drive versus paying a **** ton to some car flipper. Never get suckered into buying a corolla it's still only a corolla.

Distance isn't a problem if it isn't coast to coast, but like you said, it's impossible to find one for 3K. 9K is more than the average price of the ones I see on here, and is much more reasonable than that 20K.

PHX
Club4AG Regular

Postby PHX » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:12 pm

Just remember you get what you pay for...you gotta pay to play ;) If you want a $3,000 car thats exactly what you're going to get...garbage. Don't settle for less. Good luck in your search.

xslowpokex
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby xslowpokex » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:01 am

PHX is on cue, its always better to buy something built at a higher price especially if you are not mechanically inclined...Rizzaj86 has a point it is just a "corolla", but demand dictates value and these cars are highly sought after by many car scenes, im a car nut and go to vw/german meets, honda meets, nissan/datsun meets, rotary meets, hotrod/american muscle meets and when I show up in my junky 86 it never fails that these dudes with badass cars come up to me and say that they want an 86, if im selling or talk about the 86 they got at home haha...the way I see it they are not gonna get cheaper :)

TORPARTS
Club4AG Expert

Postby TORPARTS » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:18 am

amen!
http://www.torparts.com
WORLD LEADER IN REPRODUCTION, OEM AND JDM PARTS.
US Veteran owned.....and medical recipient and food stamps...I love Obama!

chaossilvr

Postby chaossilvr » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:55 pm

That's why I have a budget so high. I'd rather pay more and get a more complete car that I can get in and drive than pay a few grand and get a car with a lot of rust and body issues.
Thank you guys though for all of the replies! You're seriously a huge help in this :)

Rizzaj86
Club4AG Regular

Postby Rizzaj86 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:10 am

A 3K corolla does not always mean POOP BOX I have bought a few gems in my time for cheap. It all depends on the person selling the car, I have found my gem AE86 but not in Cali this state is full of overpriced initial D taxed corolla's. I for one will not pay that tax because it's retarded and like I said a corolla is still only a corolla. When I was younger I came across these cars on a Day to Day bases selling for dirt cheap in great conditions. I have owned three AE86's and only gave them up because I was only a kid at the time with no job I couldn't afford to do anything. I'm glad I didn't try to drift any of the ones I had. I wouldn't want to be in the category of one who wrecked an AE86 being that the USA only got a limited amount. Now for you sir I have one more piece of advice, at your budget I would buy RHD from Canada so much cheaper and in great conditions. Don't pay that stupid tax just go true RHD JDM much more worth your buck I am currently in the process. USA is the only one who thinks that the AE86 is some kind of historical artifact Canada does not give a F*** and will sell for cheap since it's an underpowered commuter with not as many fans as here. Out of state buys are always better when you buy specific JDM cars like the AE86 or Skyline. Don't get suckered into buying an overpriced corolla when u can think smarter and do your research like I have and avoid the crap initial D tax never gonna be worth it. 10K Corolla or 10K R33 which would u buy common sense would decide this lol Good Luck with your search and or research. "Don't get Suckered"

iishawshankii

Postby iishawshankii » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:56 am

Hey...I have a hatch for sale. Not entirely stock but I feel are tasteful jdm mods.

http://www.juststance.com/exclusive/trueno/

PM me if you are interested.

Clouds
Club4AG Expert

Postby Clouds » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:04 pm

iishawshankii wrote:Hey...I have a hatch for sale. Not entirely stock but I feel are tasteful jdm mods.

Dude, your hatch is pretty :)
There shouldn't be a day that goes by where you don't learn something new.

iishawshankii

Postby iishawshankii » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:05 pm

Clouds wrote:
iishawshankii wrote:Hey...I have a hatch for sale. Not entirely stock but I feel are tasteful jdm mods.

Dude, your hatch is pretty :)

Thanks!

chaossilvr

Postby chaossilvr » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:45 pm

I'm not authorized to PM yet, but you can send one to me! It looks beautiful!!!

kitsune
Club4AG Expert

Postby kitsune » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:17 pm

That silver 86 is worth the money.

Buy it, get the motor installed and paint the car, and you be done. Oh and get classic car insurance. Solved! 8-)

GtsTone23
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby GtsTone23 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:06 pm

kitsune wrote:That silver 86 is worth the money.

Buy it, get the motor installed and paint the car, and you be done. Oh and get classic car insurance. Solved! 8-)

Am I getting the same car when I click on the link? That car don't need paint or that honduh motor. I would buy the car AS IS and sell the motor swap and make the car more to my liking, as in maybe new wheels or something. Good Luck OP
Been a member here since the pop-ups were around ... Remember those, not many do!

kitsune
Club4AG Expert

Postby kitsune » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:01 am

GtsTone23 wrote:

Am I getting the same car when I click on the link? That car don't need paint or that honduh motor. I would buy the car AS IS and sell the motor swap and make the car more to my liking, as in maybe new wheels or something. Good Luck OP

don't knock on honduh motoars! They go rrrrrrooommm rrrooomm bbbbaaappp baaaabbbbpppp....

GtsTone23
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby GtsTone23 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:23 am

kitsune wrote:
GtsTone23 wrote:

don't knock on honduh motoars! They go rrrrrrooommm rrrooomm bbbbaaappp baaaabbbbpppp....

LOL .... I guess I'm a purest when it comes to Toyota's, I would rather slap a 1j, 2j, 1uz, 2rz, gze, 3sgte in it than ANY other motor. :D
Been a member here since the pop-ups were around ... Remember those, not many do!

Tommyblazehd

Postby Tommyblazehd » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:30 pm

I can't PM yet. Where is this car located?

ryun84
Club4AG Expert

Postby ryun84 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:01 pm

Tommyblazehd wrote:I can't PM yet. Where is this car located?

He said in his TW thread that the car and engine is in Seattle, WA.

Tommyblazehd

Postby Tommyblazehd » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:35 pm

Oh yeah, I just read that. Sorry.

ryun84
Club4AG Expert

Postby ryun84 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:51 am

Tommyblazehd wrote:Oh yeah, I just read that. Sorry.

No need to apologize bud. I was just helping out. ;)

CHIAE86

Postby CHIAE86 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:04 am

Hey chaos silver! Do u have an email I could send my pics of my gts hatch? I think u would be very intrested cause its good for its year and im not that far from michigan. I'm in Chicago and car would make it to you with no problem. :D

chaossilvr

Postby chaossilvr » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:15 am

Hey CHIAE86! Yeah, send it on over to evan_hahne@yahoo.com :)
I'd PM you but I'm still not authorized :P
I'd love to check it out!