7x6/H6054 Bi-Xenon HID D2S Projector Headlamp Retrofits

BakaBaka
Club4AG Enthusiast

7x6/H6054 Bi-Xenon HID D2S Projector Headlamp Retrofits

Postby BakaBaka » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:00 pm

NEW UPDATED POST LOCATED HERE

Retrofits are done by per request. Making them in batches were fun (sarcasm) but I no longer have the time to fulfill batches and wait for them to sell. Every order is processed as a first come, first serve basis. You can contact me on C4AG or through my e-mail jayeeyee[at]yahoo[dot]com (the latter option would be the quickest) and I'd be able to give you an ETA on when I'll be able to start and finish your order.

I will be as descriptive as I possibly can about these retrofits to minimize the Q&As. If you should feel the need to ask some specific in which I haven't already covered below, please feel free to PM or e-mail me. I check my emails on a daily basis.

==============================================================================================================================

What type of headlight are you using?

1. Nokya H6054/7x6 conversion headlight. The lens are glass and the housing bucket is made of aluminum.
2. Pilot H6054/7x6 conversion headlight. The lens are poly-carbonate and the housing bucket is plastic.
3. Both headlights brands are D.O.T/SAE approved.
Pilot H6054 conversion lamps (WI-HL5A) are proving harder to obtain which is why I switched over to the Nokya lamps. Retrofits using the Pilot lamps are available provided I can still obtain them or if you are able to provide me a set.

Doesn't glass lens distort output?

This may hold true to the generic H6054 headlights you buy on ebay advertised as "made with crystal clear lens!". The Nokya lamps are the only H6054 conversion lamps with glass lens that I know of that does not distort projector output. The entire unit itself is professionally manufactured. The bucket is cast aluminum and the glass lens is the most optically clear lens I have seen on the market so far.

What type of projectors are you using?

Morimoto MiniD2S 2.0 Bi-Xenon Projectors.
Every projector is custom tweaked to improve output performance.

Will I still have the high beam function?

1. Bi-Xenon projectors integrates low/high beam into a single unit. There is a solenoid, when activated, flips down the cut-off shield which lets excess light flood pass the cut-off. Since there are no secondary bulbs, high beams are instantaneous.
2. In order for the high beam to operate on your vehicle, you'll need to splice the high beam output wire (12v+ & ground-) from your factory H4 harness onto the projector solenoid's harness.
3. You can also go online and search for "H4 Bi-Xenon Conversion Harness" to get a conversion harness which is completely plug and play should you feel that splicing, crimping and/or soldering is not your cliche.
4. Alternatively, the "Morimoto MotoControl 9003/H4/HB2" conversion harness works just as well with a bit more cost involved.
Here is a video on Youtube that better explains how the harness operates and how to install it onto your vehicle.

Are bulbs and ballast included as part of the purchase?

Bulbs, ballast and/or wire harness are not included. I can offer advice on which type of bulbs and ballast to choose from since I've tried most of them out on the market.
Please DO NOT, under any circumstances, use poor quality D2S bulbs like the ones you would find on eBay for $10 bucks a set. Those bulbs are so poorly designed that it will hinder the quality of light output. I highly recommend the use of good quality ballast that uses alternating current (AC). HID ballasts that utilizes direct current (DC) are not meant for automotive applications and WILL cause premature failure to the bulbs and ballasts as well as reducing the life expectancy of the entire HID unit.

Do you offer customization for the retrofits?

Customization are available upon request. You may request a different type of shroud if you have a specific style you want as well as halos and/or demon eyes. The buckets and/or shrouds can be painted to a specific color as well. All retrofits will come non-painted with the option of the BMW-styled E46 or Mercedes-styled E55 shrouds by default. Prices will adjust accordingly depending on the amount of customization required, inquire for more info.

How much do I need to modify to make these retrofits work?

The entire retrofit is done for you. You can simply install these headlights as you would for any sealed beam replacement headlights. The only modification (as mentioned above) required is the wiring for the high beam solenoid and post-alignment of the headlight itself inside the headlight assembly and you're good to go.

Additional Info

1. All retrofits goes through a thorough testing process before I ship it out. Every individual headlight goes through a 5-6 hour "burn-in" cycle to release any potential off-gassing that may occur from the combination of sealant used. Every lamp gets submerged into water face down (lens side) for a minimum of 1 hour to make sure it is completely sealed and there are no leaks.
2. Please advise - 55w ballast are NOT recommended as there may be a chance where the spike in temperature can cause the reflector bowl to burn. If you must use 50/55w ballast, do so at your own risk and judgement. Burnt bowls will not be covered under the warranty.
3. Retrofit comes with 45 days limited warranty. Warranty covers all craftsmanship defects and starts on date of delivery.
4. Bulb and ballast not included.

==============================================================================================================================

Price: $495.00 (Nokya Set)
FREE USPS Priority Mail (2-Day) Shipping w/ Insurance Included
Retrofits using Nokya housings will cost more due to the extensive labor required when working with aluminum as well as the higher cost for the lamps itself. (Retails $80-$100 per set)

Price: $395.00 (Pilot Set)
FREE USPS Priority Mail (2-Day) Shipping w/ Insurance Included

Retrofits w/ E-55 Shrouds using Nokya Housings

Retrofits w/ Gatling Gun Shrouds using Nokya Housings w/ Passive Demon Eyes (Red)

Retrofits w/ Gatling Gun Shrouds using Nokya Housings w/ Passive & Active Red Demon Eyes & Hidden Halos

Retrofits w/ E-46 Shrouds using Pilot Housings

Retrofits w/ E-55 Shrouds using Pilot Housings

Tweaked output shot (Individual results may vary)
Last edited by BakaBaka on Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:20 pm, edited 80 times in total.

mesh on my rolla
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: Feeler: 7x6 HID/Projector Retro-fits

Postby mesh on my rolla » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:33 pm

F*%$*#g sick. I want some!!!!
Follow me on instagram = mesh_on_my_rolla

kitsune
Club4AG Expert

Postby kitsune » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:53 pm

Glass or plastic face?

BakaBaka
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby BakaBaka » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:25 am

kitsune wrote:Glass or plastic face?

Plastic lens/face. I'll be using Pilot Headlamps. Same as the one pictured above.

kitsune
Club4AG Expert

Postby kitsune » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:43 pm

How much if I provide you with my hella e codes?

BakaBaka
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby BakaBaka » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:39 pm

kitsune wrote:How much if I provide you with my hella e codes?

I'm not familiar with Hella E-Codes and their fitments since I never used those headlamps before, but then again.. it should be pretty straight forward since it's 7x6 lamps. However, I'm more concerned about the glass lens. Are they clear lens or patterned? If they're patterned lens, that will defeat the projector's purpose and you won't have a straight cut-off line... or ever worst...the beam will be scattered all over the place.

BakaBaka
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby BakaBaka » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:26 pm

As promised, these are the images of my 7x6 retrofit projectors on my own ride. This set was the first set I've ever made (had to go through trial and error on my own expense first). Sorry, but I couldn't get any cut-off beam shots since.. well.. there isn't a wall in front of the driveway and my car hasn't been registered yet. My housing was painted matte silver/chrome. I used butyl to seal the lens.. used a bit more than necessary.

Also, please keep in mind this was my first set.. so please think of this as a "test-set". These were the only pictures I could take of what I'm on about. Once I'm done with the next set I'm making, I'll be sure to take some more proper and eye candy photos of my latest work.

Close up shot.

On the car. Don't be fooled! My car is super clean.. paint job is less than 1 month old! But dust still find it's way underneath the car cover. =/

Lowbeam shot. The light intensity wasn't as bright as it should've been since the front of the car is slanted upwards on the drive way.
Note: If you look closely above the neighbor's bush that's across the street.. you'll see the cut-off line. Even at that distance, you can tell how sharp the cut-off is.

Highbeam shot. Sorry for the blur guys.

Kudos
Jay
Last edited by BakaBaka on Mon May 12, 2014 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

mesh on my rolla
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby mesh on my rolla » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:44 am

I got glass lens as well. (Don't remember the brand) but I would like to keep the glass with your retrofit. Now what bulbs are you using? Did you use a different wiring harness? Also how can I set this up to get the retrofit going?

Thanks

BakaBaka
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby BakaBaka » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:57 am

mesh on my rolla wrote:I got glass lens as well. (Don't remember the brand) but I would like to keep the glass with your retrofit. Now what bulbs are you using? Did you use a different wiring harness? Also how can I set this up to get the retrofit going?

Thanks

I can work with glass, I've done them before. I generally prefer plastic because in the event of an object, like a pebble strikes the headlamp, it won't crack (in some cases I guess). I'm using 5000k D2S bulbs on a 35w ballast. The wiring harness is pretty much straight forward since the factory headlamp socket has 3 wires; ground/power/high beam. There are conversion harnesses out there if you don't feel technically inclined to tackle wiring yourself. If you want me to work with your 7x6 housings, just send them to me. Once I receive them, I can finish your set in about a week's time (around 5 days or so).

Nameless
Club4AG Regular

Postby Nameless » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:44 pm

Kitsune:
Regarding Hella E-code/ECE, the lenses are "fluted" and will actually redirect light that the projector is already managing. It could actually lead to blinding people (and in the case of E-Codes it would have the slight wedge to the right... and it just might do that.
If you are using a proper projector it should already have a built in cutoff. I used 370Z projectors and it cuts off nicely behind a flat lens.
That said you probably want a quality lens and housing so it seals well.

chubby
Club4AG Regular

Postby chubby » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:25 pm

I'd be interested in a set with the chrome thang~ :D

Dizzle
Club4AG Regular

Postby Dizzle » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:47 pm

I'm interested in a glass set, chromed out would be nice if possible, ready to buy anytime

SilverRoku
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby SilverRoku » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:42 am

I would be very interested in a set of these once you post a few more pictures.

BakaBaka
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby BakaBaka » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:17 pm

I'm in the process of retrofitting a few kits. I will post better pics once I'm done. I think I'm sticking with the plastic cover/lens since it's easier to work with. With glass, there are chances of it cracking when it gets disassembled. And believe it or not, but plastic lenses have better clarity compared to glass lenses.

Dizzle
Club4AG Regular

Postby Dizzle » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:33 pm

Any updates on these?

Red
Club4AG Expert

Postby Red » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:19 pm

Very interesting, Henry.

I'd point out that I also prefer glass BUT the only real weak point of plastic is that it hazes after a lot of sunlight. And since our RFPITA headlights are pop-ups that can be kept out of sunlight when they are not in use....there's finally and advantage to have pop-up headlights! They'll help plastic to last "forever" without hazing.

Bi-xenon, including ballasts and conversion relay harness for $300? That's sweet.
-- Original owner, 1985 GT-S

SidekickChuck
Club4AG Expert

Postby SidekickChuck » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:15 am

I dont think you have specified which bi-xenon projectors you plan on using. I would hope to use the FX-R projectors as they out perform a lot of the OEM projectors in that price range. Wide consistent pattern, with a colorful sharp cutoff. People will be amazed at the amount of light that gets placed on the ground with good projector beams.

I think its a great service for those who are looking for this, but me personally; I like the look of a good ECE fluted lamp on these cars to keep them looking somewhat period correct and not bug eyed. But if mine was a daily driver, and I drove it at night, I would seriously do something about the lighting.
Silver/Black 1985 ae86 gts Heavens Gate Corolla
2001 Carbon Black e39 M5
89' Supra Twin Turbo 1JZ (sold)

Red
Club4AG Expert

Postby Red » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:30 am

"I would seriously do something about the lighting."
Don't be too cruel. When the GT-S came out, it had state of the art radical new HALOGEN headlamps instead of plain ones. They're still competitive with regular headlights.

But I have to agree with you, properly aimed HIDs put the old stuff to shame. What I can't understand is that they aren't required on new cars as a safety feature, just like windshield wipers and brake lights. Always part of a $2000 option package now, it seems. Unless you start with a $40,000 car.
-- Original owner, 1985 GT-S

mesh on my rolla
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby mesh on my rolla » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:19 pm

^^^^^^^ good point guys. I have the H4 conversion and I'm tired of on coming traffic flashing there high beams at me.

But which ever the case maybe, when are they for sale?

BakaBaka
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby BakaBaka » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:32 am

Sorry for dragging you guys out this long. I finished 4 sets but sold 3 of them. I'm currently making another set and I promise I will post up the pics as soon as possible.

For those who would like to know more of the "technicalities" on these retrofits.. I'm using Mini D2S projectors. I've tried using Mini H1 but they do not clear the back of the headlight assembly. In order to make it fit, you would have to cut off around 1 in of metal.. which is why I went with the MD2S projectors. I've measured everything and fitment is damn close, about 5-10mm of space left in between once you plug in a HID harness. Another reason why I chose the MD2S is the clean look I can achieve with it. You'll see what I mean when I post some backside pics of the lamp.

The retrofit lamps will not come with D2S bulbs, ballast or conversion harness. I would assume the majority of buyers have their own hid preferences. Besides, I'm doing this as a hobby + side cash. I can't really start stocking hid kits and stuff.. that's just way too much overhead :P

The conversion harness is simple to work with, you can either go on ebay and grab one or just splice it from the AE86's factory harness. The projectors have two wires which controls the high beam solenoid.

Red, I've thought about using glass headlamps, sure they are tougher than plastic but projectors just aren't suited for glass lens. Besides the point that glass lamps are a pain the remove and is prone to cracking when you try to pry it apart. The glass lens actually distorts the cuttoff. Plastic was the only option in my books :P

Fun fact.. due to the types of adhesives/sealant used.. I actually do a burn-in process for every single lamp to release any off-gassing that might occur before I seal the lens up. 6 hours of leaving the lamps on makes my house bright as hell, lol. But I guess you can say I "test" all my products to make sure it works before i sell em off? :P

tchybrid
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby tchybrid » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:58 am

you sir are doing awesome work, can't wait to until you have some productions of these ready to go. also, nice GC8 ;-) by the way.

SidekickChuck
Club4AG Expert

Postby SidekickChuck » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:11 am

Red--
Im not trying to be cruel. I realize that back when the car was released, the lighting technology was poor. In todays world, if you do night time driving, its just plain dangerous to drive on 80s lighting technology. For those who want to upgrade without projectors to keep the look of the car stock, I suggest using Hella ECE lamps with H4-to-D2S adapters. I had these on my MKIII supra, and the lighting was great. No glare, decent spread, and retains the look of the car.

Those who want to have modern performance, with sharp cutoffs & precise distribution of light, do with the projector retrofit. Its amazing what you will see at night that you have not been able to see with the old headlights.

Baka--
I like that you are offering your service to the community for a reasonable price. I got into the game back in the early 2000's when I founded hidplanet. Now a days, there are tons of options when it comes to retrofitting, but not all work on all applications. I have since sold the company, but still love good lighting, so props to you!

I just want to add my $0.02 in that, those who decide to install good projectors into their headlamps need to utilize all the additional lumens they will get out of this retrofit and NOT install cheap 6000-8000k D2S bulbs. Stick with OEM Philips or Osram and you will get the most out of your lights!
Silver/Black 1985 ae86 gts Heavens Gate Corolla
2001 Carbon Black e39 M5
89' Supra Twin Turbo 1JZ (sold)

BakaBaka
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby BakaBaka » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:50 am

Updated with two new pictures. Moar will come.

SolidSTI
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby SolidSTI » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:56 am

The chrome reflector won't be painted, right?
ImageImageImageImage
1985 Corolla GT-S | 1985 Trueno Sprinter | 1989 Skyline GT-R | 2001 Prelude | 2005 STi | 2008 Forester XT| 1991 M923A1
http://TruFactsRacing.com

BakaBaka
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby BakaBaka » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:49 pm

SolidSTI wrote:The chrome reflector won't be painted, right?

Nope, not unless requested.

SolidSTI
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby SolidSTI » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:00 am

Let me know when I can purchase a set. I'm tired of my old RHD halogens.
ImageImageImageImage
1985 Corolla GT-S | 1985 Trueno Sprinter | 1989 Skyline GT-R | 2001 Prelude | 2005 STi | 2008 Forester XT| 1991 M923A1

BakaBaka
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby BakaBaka » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:07 pm

Post updated. 2 Sets available for sale.

Dizzle
Club4AG Regular

Re: F/S: 7x6 HID Bi-Xenon D2S Projector Retro-fits

Postby Dizzle » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:31 pm

I'll get a set! Shoot me an email please, darickty06@yahoo.com

SolidSTI
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: F/S: 7x6 HID Bi-Xenon D2S Projector Retro-fits

Postby SolidSTI » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:56 am

Clear Lamin-X would prevent the hazing that people seem concerned with.
ImageImageImageImage

BakaBaka
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: 7x6/H6054 Bi-Xenon HID D2S Projector Headlamp Retrofits

Postby BakaBaka » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:24 pm

Images update on last set for sale. Grab it guys! You don't know how cheap these are compared to retrofitting places that charges $700 and up for a set like these.