BT Timing belt timing issue

Sportmax
Club4AG Enthusiast

BT Timing belt timing issue

Postby Sportmax » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:35 am

Ive done some searching but cant find the correct information..

I bought a BT that was already convertered to FWD but never ran that way. I have no clue what he did to it so I went through it an put all new seals, TRD head gasket and a new timing belt.

My issue is the Timing belt is wider then the crank pulley and the timing is half tooth off on the crank. Im thinking the previous guy put on a 16v pulley but I have no BT pulley to compare with. Ill be able to compare it with another 16v pulley tonight.

Anythoughts??? I did read the 16v and ST timing belt crank pulleys are the same but the BT is different. I do have a WTB add on here also looking for a BT pulley for cheap.
Heres a picture of the belt and pulley

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Re: BT Timing belt timing issue

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:40 am

Where did you get the belt? Is it for a BT?
How wide is it?

Sportmax
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Sportmax » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:48 am

Brand New Toyota Belt. Got it throught Toyota. Every part number I have ever read says this is the BT timing belt

Duy-
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Duy- » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:40 am

get a blacktop timing gear, that'll fix your problem
i believe you can get them new from lithia toyota, yes its longer than the 16v and yes you'll need the corresponding 20v blacktop crank pulley or else your fan belts will be out of alignment

Sportmax
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Sportmax » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:46 am

Duy- wrote:get a blacktop timing gear, that'll fix your problem
i believe you can get them new from lithia toyota, yes its longer than the 16v and yes you'll need the corresponding 20v blacktop crank pulley or else your fan belts will be out of alignment

Thanks man. Better call T3 then and get some pulleys coming along with the timing belt pulley ;)

Ordered from Lithia.

Can anyone tell me why somone would swap that part over?

jdm86gtz
Club4AG Expert

Postby jdm86gtz » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:45 am

Have you got a hydraulic timing belt tensioner or the manual type like on a 16V engine?
Someone might have changed the pump, tensioner, crank pulley and timing belt to 16V/Silvertop parts in which case you need a Silvertop timing belt.

Sportmax
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Sportmax » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:56 am

jdm86gtz wrote:Have you got a hydraulic timing belt tensioner or the manual type like on a 16V engine?
Someone might have changed the pump, tensioner, crank pulley and timing belt to 16V/Silvertop parts in which case you need a Silvertop timing belt.

Still hydraulic tensioner, BT timing belt came off it, compared the harmonic balancer to my 16v and there different, same with the water pump pulley. seems the timing belt pulley is the only thing that was wrong.