Engine tick when braking

NikNes
Club4AG Regular

Engine tick when braking

Postby NikNes » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:32 pm

So I've asked my mechanic friends about this and they are all stumped. When I press the brakes on the car, sometimes the car makes a sound that's kind of between a tick and throwout bearing noise that's the same speed as the engine rpm. It can happen even if the car is standing still in neutral with the clutch down. Anybody have any ideas?

ga_goosh
Club4AG Pro

Re: Engine tick when braking

Postby ga_goosh » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:35 am

NikNes wrote:So I've asked my mechanic friends about this and they are all stumped. When I press the brakes on the car, sometimes the car makes a sound that's kind of between a tick and throwout bearing noise that's the same speed as the engine rpm. It can happen even if the car is standing still in neutral with the clutch down. Anybody have any ideas?

it could be the trans input shaft bearing. Iv heard of these going out and people saying it sounds similar to a throw out bearing. If you pull it appart to try to correct this i would also change the throw out bearing and the pilot bearing
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

NikNes
Club4AG Regular

Postby NikNes » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:35 am

I see. But how would the trans bearing be affected by me pressing on the brake?

negrizio
Club4AG Regular

Postby negrizio » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:36 pm

If you hit clutch+brake at the same time they could be related, try just with the clutch pedal alone. Mechanicaly the clutch and brake fluid systems are separated.

So, pull your tranny out and check the bearings as ga_goosh recomends...