4agze issues. Again!

alabamaguy
Club4AG Enthusiast

4agze issues. Again!

Postby alabamaguy » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:14 am

I finally got my gze setup back together and I'm having a really high idle issue. Let me give some background: 4agze ae101 smallport dli map setup running stock everything except Bigport cams and head studs. When I crank the car it idles around 1100-1500rpm for maybe 10 seconds then it immediately rises to 3700rpm and holds. Sometimes it will oscillate from 1700 to 3700. I've adjusted the tps, all my gaskets are brand new, I assembled the motor on the stand. I've got coolant in it (don't know if these are finicky like the bluetops), I've tried the idle air motor plugged up, unplugged, and blocked off, nothing changes. Any ideas where to go from here?

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Re: 4agze issues. Again!

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:13 am

If it does it with the ISC air bypass plugged then you have a huge air leak after the throttle body.
Do a boost leak test on the whole system starting at the throttlebody. I bet you find a leak or maybe several small ones.

alabamaguy
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby alabamaguy » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:49 am

How do I do a boost leak test?

onnaj
Club4AG Pro

Postby onnaj » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:01 am

Did you check the engine codes? I had the same issue caused by 2 things. 1) vacuum leak and 2) air in the coolant system. If i were you i'd start with the vacuüm checkup.
Check my 4AGE 20V BT teardown, rebuild and transplantation over here --> http://club4ag.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3382

alabamaguy
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby alabamaguy » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:16 pm

I had the same thoughts...No codes though. I can't run the car with the radiator cap off because the rpms push fluid out of the top. The system is full, though. I'm struggling to find any vacuum leaks, I've used a whole can of carb cleaner with no luck. I guess I need to figure out how to do the boost leak test first...

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:30 pm

alabamaguy wrote:I had the same thoughts...No codes though. I can't run the car with the radiator cap off because the rpms push fluid out of the top. The system is full, though. I'm struggling to find any vacuum leaks, I've used a whole can of carb cleaner with no luck. I guess I need to figure out how to do the boost leak test first...

Just google how to boost leak test or something. There are a ton of tutorials out there and several ways to do it. Only difference is you will want to hook the coupler to the inlet of the TB where turbo guys hook it to the inlet of the turbo.

If the problem was related to coolant then it would idle at a normal cold high idle or might surge a little bit from bubbles passing through.
You have a much bigger problem than that. You could get some leaks worked out and find you still have coolant issues or something but it's not where I would focus right now. You have to be getting a massive air leak in the system.
Try capping off your brake booster line and see if idle changes. Do the boost leak test and see if you have any big leaks.
Check to see if the idle screw has been tampered with. If it has then see how far it's turned out.
The BGB will also have a whole troubleshooting section devoted to this.
This thread might help you too.
http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=109875

alabamaguy
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby alabamaguy » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:29 pm

I'm going to try constructing one of these testers asap and see what I can come up with leak wise.. the ONLY thing that I didn't reseal on my setup was the back flange on the supercharger (inlet). I have a sneaking suspicion that it's coming from there or the fuel rail..

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:38 pm

You can get the gaskets from lithiatoyotaparts.com

17857-16010 GASKET

17858-16010 GASKET

Forget which is which.

alabamaguy
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby alabamaguy » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:23 pm

Sweet! I'm going to go by my local dealer and see what they can do for me, I have a commercial account there. Figures, huh?

allpr0h
Club4AG Regular

Postby allpr0h » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:30 pm

jeez

i bet you have air your your coolant system
prime the hoses thousands of time and add every single freaking ml it will enter the radiator cap
run the car a bit, stop it, prime the hoses (crush the bottom and top radiator hoses) again and add coolant again and again until you really really cant add anymore

my 88 corolla gts bigport did this, tps what changed billion of times by me and previous owner, never figured it out... well until i swapped for smallport

anyways, try it its only few minutes that can fix your problem
cheers
w00t