"What turbo do i pick"

Bigmike203

"What turbo do i pick"

Postby Bigmike203 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:17 pm

Hey, im sorry this question has probably been asked a million times over but i cant seem to find too much info on what turbocharger i should use for my 20v blacktop build. I wasnt sure if i should build it or swap a 3sgte into my ae86 but i already have the bt with a waterline conversion , ford edis4 cop and a megasquirt ecu. So blacktop it is :)

First thing is i will be building my 20v blacktop from the ground up, the works. The head will be built with 264 duration cams and supporting mods but i dont think i will be doing any flow work,. It will remain a 1.6 so im stumped on what turbo i should use to reach my goals with super fast response. I want to have a plan and all the parts in order before i pull the trigger.

Im aiming for 300hp with moderate levels of boost but response is the most important thing so that rules out all others and i know ball bearing is the way to go.

I have no experiance at all with turbos so this is a little tough for me and im researching as much as possible. What would you say is a good ball bearing turbo for my 300hp/ superfast response goals. I would say my budget is around 1200 but a cheaper but still very good turbo would be awesome.

As i look i see mistu turbos, greddy gt28 varients and ALOT of other turbos..oh. and the turbonetics gtk 325 which im diggin, but thats because it looks bad ass...but im sure there is something cheaper thats just as good, and what a.r would suit my goals? Thanks

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Re: "What turbo do i pick"

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:16 pm

Did you read through the thread I posted in the other thread?
http://www.mr2.com/forums/mk-1-mr2-aw11 ... draft.html

There is a lot of discussion in there.
The last couple pages get deep into reading turbo maps and using squirrel performance to compare different turbos.

Here is a thread you will like. Another person trying to do almost the exact same thing but I think he will be going with a smallport motor instead.
http://www.mr2.com/forums/mk1-engine-ta ... turbo.html

Since you are pretty new to turbos in general the more you read the better.
If you browse through the threads here and go back as many pages as you can bring yourself to you will learn a lot about boosting the 4AGE.
http://mr2oc.com/forumdisplay.php?f=56

Now with all that said I think a GT2860RS is a great turbo for your goals.
You might be able to go a little bit smaller if you wanted quicker spool but you would start to limit the top end.
You could go a little bit bigger to get the top end breathing better but you would sacrifice spool.
AR is only part of the equation. You need to know the turbine dimensions too. You can have two turbos that both have a .60 AR and one could max out at 250 HP and the other could not even spool on a 4AGE.
The 2860RS has two different housings. You would be pushing the smaller housing pretty hard. This will start to limit peak power. It will keep your spool much quicker though.
The larger housing will help it breath better up top but at the cost of spool.
Unless you have definite needs to push 300 or think you will likely want more down the road I would suggest starting with the smaller housing. You will probably find that the power it can make will be plenty in our light little cars and will probably be grateful for the quicker spool.

When it comes to new turbos I prefer Garrett. They are good at what they do and they stand behind their work.
I can get good prices on Garrett turbos as well as Turbonetics and a few others.
One thing to keep in mind is what flange you can find on manifolds.
In the AW11 community there aren't many options so people need to choose with care.
I make a manifold that fits the AW11. It should fit FWDs and may work on RWDs but hasn't been proven yet.
http://matrixgarage.com/store/turbo-man ... boing-4age
I can make custom manifolds to any spec for a little more.

Bigmike203

Re: "What turbo do i pick"

Postby Bigmike203 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:16 pm

Thanks again man im halfway through the first thread you posted, its very interesting and extremely helpful.

* im going to continue tmmorow, thanks again! And ill keep you in mind for the manifold i would like to do buisness with you when the time comes.your work looks excellent and i would also like to talk about an intake plenum. Im not ready to start buying parts yet, "still saving lol" but i have your website saved and will be in touch