Rattleling noise from 4age

ezoo
Club4AG Regular

Rattleling noise from 4age

Postby ezoo » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:14 am

So i have redone my old age with new wiseco pistons, shrick cams, and silvertop itbs and a ms2 ecu.
As we were dialing it in we got at loud rattle from the engine bay. But according to our equipment it doesnt detonation og preignite. We heard from others that the itbs themselves could rattle ? Anyone had problems with this and maybe a solution ?

ezoo
Club4AG Regular

Re: Rattleling noise from 4age

Postby ezoo » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:21 am

Probably should mention its only at wide open throttle. Theres no noises in idle or if we slowly accelerate it to the limiter

ga_goosh
Club4AG Pro

Postby ga_goosh » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:15 pm

i had a rattle like that and it ended up being a spun rod bearing not sure if that could be your issue
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

Red
Club4AG Expert

Postby Red » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:52 pm

ezoo, there's something called a "mechanic's stethoscope" that most mechanics don't have but this is what it is used for. Looks just like the kind doctors use, but with a probe at the business end. Some are electronic, some are traditional. The idea is that you put the probe here and there on the engine until you can isolate just where the noise is coming from. You should be able to find them online cheaply enough.
-- Original owner, 1985 GT-S

ezoo
Club4AG Regular

Postby ezoo » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:54 pm

Yeah i have one. And at idle there arent really any noises you wouldnt expect

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:08 pm

I have heard of TVIS plates rattling but never ITBs. That would be easy to locate though with a stethoscope on the odd chance it was.

What equipment confirmed it wasn't knock?

Is it only at WOT under load or will it do it free reving?

Does it do it across the whole rev range?

Hard to know by your description but if it's possible it could be heat shields or anything then make sure you check everything out and make sure it's all tight.

MisterJerk
Club4AG Pro

Postby MisterJerk » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:50 pm

The lower attachment on my Alternator is no longer the correct size(stupid bushing destroyed by incorrectly sized alternator bolt) and it rattles a bit at idle, and sounds kind of like incorrectly adjusted valve lash at higher rpm

I have also noticed a bit of rattle from the plate between the engine and tranny(20v block doesnt have the spot for the steel things that bolt from the block to the lower part of the bell housing)

It could be your tensioner as well.

ezoo
Club4AG Regular

Postby ezoo » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:56 pm

We had a knocksensor hooked up to a computer where you could vary the frequency it searched for. It would alert you on screen and filter the noise to the headphones the guy who was doing the ecu adjusting was wearing.
Its mostly above 3,5k underload. Its hard to provoke under free revving but possible.
There arent any heatshields left after i changed headers and to a toda exhaust system.

Could be the altonator bolt, it seems to be too long for some reason. I'll check that and redo the valve adjustments to be sure.