blacktop air box

tlea
Club4AG Regular

blacktop air box

Postby tlea » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:12 am

Hi again
I'm back finally continuing my 20v blacktop into 1960 Morris Traveller conversion (2020 got in the way lol). Engine , trans and rear axle all fit. Sorting out some of the peripheral details and trying to come up with air box set up. The stock box will fit w/o the air inlet so I want to modify. Is it as simple as blocking existing inlet and moving to the front of box? The stock stacks would also be facing wrong way so what would I use there? I'm also missing what the inlet hose is attached to from pictures looks like plastic box? Engine is running haltech ecu with coil packs. Thanks in advance
Here is picture I found doing search
https://www.flickr.com/photos/138619479 ... ed-public/

jondee86

Re: blacktop air box

Postby jondee86 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:44 pm

A long while back I looked to see if I could use the factory intake plenum on my ITB
converted RWD car, but had to give it up as there simply was not enough room. I liked
it because it had a decent volume, was a good solid two-piece steel box and I could
have used the factory trumpets. The factory Corolla with the blacktop engine runs better
(and quieter) with that setup than it does with aftermarket trumpets and no plenum.

So I think that you are on the right track if you can make the plenum fit along the lines
shown in the pic. Directing the incoming air towards a point above the number two
trumpet should work fine as the plenum has plenty of volume to allow the air to circulate.

Leave the factory trumpets facing down... they will get what they need and will also
help keep the intake quiet. Chances of finding a factory resonator or filter box are
relatively slim. I had one of these...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-89-92-TOYO ... 3730070139
... that I bought because I needed that "sensor" (actually a PWM idle air valve). You
may find something similar under the hood of an early 90's FWD 16V 4AGE Corolla (or
USDM equivalent) if you want to maintain a factory look.

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

tlea
Club4AG Regular

Postby tlea » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:42 am

Thank you. After modifying car to get engine fit modifying the airbox seems relatively easy
On a different matter, I am having a custom exhaust header made and anticipate no issues with that but I would assume I want to fit a port for an O2 sensor? Any thoughts of where the location should be in relation to distance and also if there a standard sensor that I should use?
Thanks in advance

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:42 pm

As you are using an aftermarket ECU it is highly recommended that you install
a Wide Band O2 sensor and controller. The WBO2 sensor can read a full range of
lambda values and the controller will process the sensor output into a 0-5V signal
that your ECU can use to keep your AFR on target. The controller also manages
the sensor heating and (in most cases) can provide an output to drive an AFR
gauge on your dash. A gauge is a very useful tuning and troubleshooting aid.

To enable the sensor to taste a representative exhaust gas sample the recommended
installation position is in the exhaust a few inches downstream of the final merge.
This position should be at least 24" from the head and using the recommended
weld-on bung supplied with the wide band kit. To minimise the risk of condensation
hitting the hot sensor after cold start the axis of the sensor should be inclined a little
(say 10deg) or more above horizontal . When deciding on the location bear in mind
that you will need clearance to install the sensor and possibly remove it from time
to time if fresh air calibration is required.

I personally had good success with an Innovate WBO2 kit but there are many others
to choose from. The above pic shows a few of them.

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.