Engine die's

buffalohunter7321
Club4AG Enthusiast

Engine die's

Postby buffalohunter7321 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:17 am

I have a California 1987 Toyota Corolla FX-16 with the 4age engine. My question is this: What causes my engine to die after it is wormed up and been driven for quite some miles and when I come to a stop light or stop sign, the engine dies after down shifting gear by gear all the while braking at the same time until I take my foot off the throttle to apply the brakes to come to a final stop, the engine rpm drops to 0 and the engine die's. I than have to restart the engine and play with the gas pedal and the brake pedal all the while using my left foot to hold the clutch pedal in!!!
I just had a Brand new Distributor from Rock Auto installed and it did not fix's the problem... HELP

davew7
Club4AG Expert

Re: Engine die's

Postby davew7 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:33 am

You did not mention your idle speed? Try increasing the idle speed by adjusting the air bleed screw that is located under the black plug on the throttle body. Davew7

buffalohunter7321
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby buffalohunter7321 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:16 pm

I had to adjusted the air bleed screw so that the engine would idle at 2000 rpm. Does great until engine is wormed up to normal temp.
after that has happened, that is when it starts dieing. Some times after playing with the throttle, it will keep runing, but can not rely on it every time.
Usely pop the clutch to get it started again before comming to a full stop and keep the RPM's up above 2000 befor I can apply the brakes. If traffic is heavy, this is really nerve racking.

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:41 pm

I'd suggest that you consider a tuneup that confirms / sets / adjusts...

1. Ignition timing
2. Cam timing
3. TPS setting
4. Electric fan operation
5. Fuel pressure

There are a number of factors that affect hot off-throttle performance; even high
ambient temperature. If your engine can idle at 2000rpm then it does not sound like
the fuel cut is working, which means that the TPS idle switch (IDL output) may not
be working.

To prevent the engine stalling in a hot off-throttle situation (such as a highway stop
light) the ECU will normally adjust the mixture a bit richer and add a bit more idle
air if the engine is equipped with an ECU controlled ISCV. It can only do this if it
has the correct signal from the TPS IDL switch.

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

buffalohunter7321
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby buffalohunter7321 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:55 pm

Sound's good to me and will print this out and will let my mechanic read it.
I'll let you know what happens. Buffalohunter7321

buffalohunter7321
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby buffalohunter7321 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:18 pm

I should have stated this before my last post. That said here is the
history of this car.: This car sat for I don't know how long for sure but I do know it sit for at least 4 years with out being started. And than I bought it and it sat for another year. Finally got around to see if I could get it to run. After spraying starter fluid in the filter it finally started and has started every since.
I used injector cleaner when first start up and it would run but not like it should have. I than let it set for another winter and that is when it started to die after running and wormed up. This is when I asked for help.
I tried using Sea Foam Engine treatment in the gas tank and than changed the oil and filter and used high Mileage Oil fully synthetic and added about two ounces to a full tank of mid range fuel and about four ounces to the new oil. Direction on the can said to drive it aggressively and it smokes like crazy when first taking off at almost 3/4 throttle and with high RPM thru all gears and than completely letting of the throttle to let it slow down to normal RPM. Car is starting to run much better now and have not had to play with the gas peddle, when coming to a stop. Car ideals at around 800 RPM and at first letting off the G. peddle the RPM would fall to around 500 RPM but than would rise to around 800 RPM. and stay running. Put a couple 100 miles on it since I have done this and car is still smoking a little but soon goes away. So after a few more miles or so or if it stops smoking after aggressive driving I will change the oil again a long with another new oil filter, it should be good to go.
I assume that all or mostly the engine would be cleaned of the varnish and gunk in the oil tracks will be mostly gone! The good thing is it is running so much better. I will let you know how it is doing after 100 days more of driving it. Thanks for the help. Jack

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:20 pm

OK... sounds like you got it covered. After sitting for that long whatever gas was in the tank
and in the lines will no longer be primo, so you will need to run fresh gas thru it for a while
to help clean out gum and any other crap that has formed. From what I have seen that Seafoam
smokes like a bastard and it can take a while to clear. Rings could be sticky and take a while
to free up and start sealing correctly.

Without knowing the miles on the engine it could be that it has a lot of wear on it and that
can cause a bit of smoke as well. But good advice to beat on it regularly and don't be afraid
to use a lot of engine braking.

Pretty sure that your engine should have a thermostatic idle up valve under the throttle body
that is heated by the coolant circulating thru two small hoses. If it has the (AAV) valve on cold
starts the engine should first idle round 2000rpm and then taper down to 8-900rpm as the engine
comes up to temperature. If yours doesn't behave like that then your AAV is not working and
will need cleaning if cold starts are a problem.

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

buffalohunter7321
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby buffalohunter7321 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:50 pm

It is doing exactly as you described what you said it would. The smoke goes away when I just cruse along at normal speeds. It only smokes when accelerating aggressively but goes away when achieving the speed limit. thanks again buffalohunter7321