AE86 Blue Top issues.

Swooki
Club4AG Enthusiast

AE86 Blue Top issues.

Postby Swooki » Fri May 22, 2020 8:39 pm

Hello, I have 3 issues and I was hoping Club4AG could help me.
"I was told the car was a swap, and not original engine.."

1) Temperature Gauge, Fuel Gauge, Oil Gauge doesn't not work. (Tachometer and Speedometer works)
I noticed that when I turn on the key to "ON" position, the temp gauge needle moves a little bit as showed in the video.

https://streamable.com/qhqoo1 <--- Video

I have checked the Upper water neck coolant sensor and the oil sender and they are not loose.
I switched gauges and nothing is working.
- I looked at Firewall / Valve colver ground and it's fine
- I looked at Driver side frame rail and engine block ground and it's all tight too
- I couldn't find the tranmission ground? Does anyone have a photo?
There are only 3 grounds correct?

2) There's a pinging noise when idling, and not sure how to fix it or how to diagnose..

3) The last one is that, when reving up, and as it comes down, you can hear a knocking rattling noise.. Not sure what it is. Please help guys! Thank you so much :(

Video for 2/3: https://streamable.com/0uc82z

Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert

Re: AE86 Blue Top issues.

Postby Nick94tt » Sat May 23, 2020 2:15 pm

I've had the first issue before. Believe it's just a fuse in the driver's side kick panel fusebox.

The third one sounds like a misfire once you're at the tail pipe. Could be as simple as a spark plug gap too far out of spec or a stuck injector. You can disconnect the plug wires one by one and see if the idle changes.

If it doesn't, you've found the bad cylinder. Can do the same with the injector harness clips. Just be careful, they're brittle.

Swooki
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Swooki » Sat May 23, 2020 9:11 pm

Nick94tt wrote:I've had the first issue before. Believe it's just a fuse in the driver's side kick panel fusebox.

The third one sounds like a misfire once you're at the tail pipe. Could be as simple as a spark plug gap too far out of spec or a stuck injector. You can disconnect the plug wires one by one and see if the idle changes.

If it doesn't, you've found the bad cylinder. Can do the same with the injector harness clips. Just be careful, they're brittle.

I have switched the fuse but nothing works...... the gauges still do not work. Isn't it weird how the temp gauge moves up a little when turned to "ON"?
Do you think it could be a bad oil pressure sender and coolant temp sensor?

Would it shock me if i disconnect it as it runs?

Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert

Postby Nick94tt » Sun May 24, 2020 6:56 am

Swooki wrote:Would it shock me if i disconnect it as it runs?

If the wire insulation is failed, and you're the easiest path to ground... :lol: It wont be anywhere near as bad as the wires on my old '67 Firebird with the giant upgraded ignition coil. :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Hey, that looks loose..." *involuntary jig*

You can stop and start the car in between, it just adds time and a bit of wear with the restarts.

In the middle of a family thing but if I remember I'll try and look up the thread about the gauges... I think it was something to do with the reverse signal wire for the trans shorting and blowing a fuse.