Correct alternator for Silvertop?

Sprite
Club4AG Regular

Correct alternator for Silvertop?

Postby Sprite » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:55 pm

My alternator's voltage regulator is failing and will sometimes spike voltage up to 19 volts when it heats up so time for a new alternator. The part number of the original is 27060-16320 I believe and is a 70 amp. Problem is that no one in the states carries that one. Would it be ok to substitute an equivalent Toyota alt from say a US 95 Camry? Is there really anything special about that old part number or will any old alternator work?
Rick

jondee86

Re: Correct alternator for Silvertop?

Postby jondee86 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:51 pm

This page... http://www.miparts.com/detail/alternator_11848
... suggests that the same alternator can fit a variety of Toyota models. An alternator
of this type is a self-contained unit with an internal regulator. So basically, an alternator
from any of the listed vehicles should be a straight bolt-in and work fine.

Second alternative if you can't find a suitable donor in your local junkyard, is to look for
a similar alternator that may not be a bolt-in, and swap out the regulator. Many Toyota
alternators from the same era use the same regulator. So if you find one that is the same
size and has the same number of grooves on the pulley, chances are the regulator will
swap over. Just take the back covers off and unbolt the regulators... 5 minute job :)

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

Sprite
Club4AG Regular

Re: Correct alternator for Silvertop?

Postby Sprite » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:11 am

Thanks Jon that's what I was hoping. I'm off to the junk yard.
Rick