4AG 20V Silver Top Turbo Water Lines

EddieNanakase
Club4AG Regular

4AG 20V Silver Top Turbo Water Lines

Postby EddieNanakase » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:16 pm

I bought a ball bearing Garrett turbo and wanted to setup the coolant lines that go into the turbo. I have
heard of using T fittings on the lines that go into the heater core. I also bought the SSWorks water kit for
the 20V to give you a better idea of my setup. I emailed Garrett about this but they recommended me to
contact a performance shop instead. I emailed this big performance shop here in Chicago but they never
replied. Someone made a point of avoiding tapping into the coolant coming out of the head because of the
hotter temperatures compared to the coolant going through the block. There's a block coolant drain
plug to the left of the oil filter that I was thinking of using, but the plug has a rare thread size. I tried
using a gauge to measure the size of the thread and the closest reading I got was 12M X 1.25 .
I'm not %100 it's 1.25, but I know for sure it's not 12M, but it's the closest measurement. It's more like 13M,
but 13M is a really rare size. Now I'm discouraged about tapping into the plug on the block. I don't know what
to do now. Thank you for your time and all of your help !

Here's a pic of the SSWorks water kit I have http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Kitsune ... 4.jpg.html

jondee86

Re: 4AG 20V Silver Top Turbo Water Lines

Postby jondee86 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:11 pm

If you can find someone to translate the label, these diagrams might help...

Image,Image,Image

I suspect that the square box off to the side (connected at points C and F) might be
a water cooled turbo ? The diagrams are showing the standard external thermostat
setup, and if your water line conversion kit changes things around, these diagrams
may not apply. The point to note is that the flow line is tapped into an area of relatively
high pressure, and the return line is tapped into the low pressure pump suction/return.

You want to get as much differential pressure as possible to push flow to the turbo.

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

jdm86gtz
Club4AG Expert

Postby jdm86gtz » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:13 am

The block coolant drain is a 1/4 BSP thread.
I tried one of these air fittings: http://www.drapertools.com/products/sq/ ... 3_BULK.jpg in a block and it was perfect, I'm not sure what size of air tool fittings you use in the US though.
I then got an 1/4BSP to AN fitting but the start diameter was too large so I might have to try a different brand fitting.

EddieNanakase
Club4AG Regular

Postby EddieNanakase » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:02 pm

For the coolant passages, I found these pics from SQ Engineering
http://www.sq-engineering.com/tech-arti ... stem-guide . I forgot about the oil pressure switch
threads being a BSP measurement, stupid me, it didn't occur to me that other non metric threads could be BSP.
Thank you jondee86 and jdm86gtz for your help !