rhd ae86 20v velocity stack length

AlpineFD
Club4AG Regular

rhd ae86 20v velocity stack length

Postby AlpineFD » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:59 am

Hi guys,

I have a RHD 86 Levin, planning to swap in a BT 20V motor.

I'm trying to figure out what's the best way to run velocity stacks on this car.
I heard the max I can run is 70mm or 50mm with an individual filter? Due to clearance issue with the brake booster on RHD.
But that would cause too much power loss.

http://www.outerwearsracing.com/products.asp?cat=12675
i was also looking at these, it's very low profile, but not sure how good the flow is.

so i have 2 questions

rhd ae86 bt 20v
1. Assuming I will run without filter, what's the longest velocity stack i can fit?
2. If i want to run a filter, what's the best option to fit the longest velocity stack?

Thanks !!

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Re: rhd ae86 20v velocity stack length

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:37 pm

I don't know if those booties are even designed to be run on. It looks to me like they are for when the car is not being driven. If they do any filtering at all they will definitely loose you more power than running a slightly less ideal velocity stack would.

I have never understood why people seem so intent on running straight velocity stacks. Naturally that would be more ideal in a perfect world but when space prevents that I would rather run a 120mm curved stack than a 50mm straight stack.

AlpineFD
Club4AG Regular

Postby AlpineFD » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:42 pm

Yes i wouldn't mind running a curved trumpet for the 4th cylinder, but where to get one?

What if i run cylinder 1 - 3 with 70mm, and 4 with 50mm? would that cause any issues i wonder?

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:39 pm

I would run all the same.
Even just one curved could mess with AFRs on one cylinder and could cause problems or loose power.
If you run different length velocity stacks this would definitely happen. To do that you need to be able to monitor AFRs on each cylinder and independently adjust fuel on each cylinder.