7afe/4afe obd2 pump vs early 4age pump

demby123
Club4AG Regular

7afe/4afe obd2 pump vs early 4age pump

Postby demby123 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:46 pm

I'd like to know anyone's experiences running a 4a/7afe oil pump on their 4ag. IIRC the pressure specifications are the same but after opening up a couple of used pumps from an 87 mr2 and a 97 ae100 corolla (4afe) I've measured the pump gear thickness at 8mm for the 4age pump (square tooth design) and the 4afe pump gear thickness at 7.5mm (wave tooth design). The part numbers for the pump gear sets on both the 4afe and 7afe are the same, but the pump numbers are different which leads me to believe they either have different relief systems or are just a different body. Has anyone had issues running 7afe pumps on 7age builds? Is there a good way to calculate the actual volume/flow of the pump? Has anyone tried getting the pump machined to accept the 4age smallport/high volume gear? I'm a bit concerned about the .5mm difference but I don't plan on turning any higher RPM than stock or making much more power in the future (I plan on using mild cams and an exhaust in the future with motorcycle throttles on it now).

Also just a note, the 97 obd2 pump has a slightly larger output port at 12mm vs the 87 4age's 11.7mm, but i don't think this makes much of a difference since the oil port on the block will obviously be 4ag sized anyways.

morgan
Club4AG Pro

Re: 7afe/4afe obd2 pump vs early 4age pump

Postby morgan » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:35 pm

Theres plenty of info and comparisons out there, search around. Heres one of the top ones from google
viewtopic.php?t=6340
haha cali...i got one of your 86's and you're not getting it back.
My turd of an 86
20v swapped 86 write-up

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:29 pm

The big question is why are you comparing anything to the early 4A pump?
Just run the late pump. OPT-036. It has the bigger gear.
http://matrixgarage.com/content/underst ... stall-prep

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:56 am

yoshimitsuspeed wrote:The big question is why are you comparing anything to the early 4A pump?
Just run the late pump. OPT-036. It has the bigger gear.
http://matrixgarage.com/content/underst ... stall-prep

I believe his goal is to use the "F" series pump housing with the crank pick up built in....... he is wondering about if the "F" pump will be adequate in a "G" headed engine.... I can't speak to any #s... but I have a friend here in Vancouver Wa. who has been running a 7AGE with the 7AF pump....
OST Cyl head porting, - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=300

Building a great engine takes knowing the end... before you begin :ugeek:

Enjoy Life... its the only one you get!

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:30 am

Ah I see

In that case I believe it should be fine as long as you don't run squirters. I believe the higher volume pump was made for the 4A in preparation for the squirters being added. I would definitely try to use the wave shaped gear but it sounds like that is the one you are interested in so I'd say it should be fine.

demby123
Club4AG Regular

Postby demby123 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:19 pm

Yea i figure the oil squirters were the real reason for the extra volume needed.

On that note i may also see what i can rig together using a 4ag pump and a local welding shop.mabye an aluminum flange can be welded in and reinforced a bit. I still want to make the obd2 style crank pickup location viable for the high volume 4ag pump, since i do have plans of building a smallport sometime in the future...