timing belt wont tension - 7rib -

NH-hillbilly
Club4AG Regular

timing belt wont tension - 7rib -

Postby NH-hillbilly » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:31 am

Greetings gentlemen

I'm currently putting a motor together for a friend and am running into issues getting the timing belt to tension properly. Its a 7 rib grey market block, with a 16 valve big port US head. I was provided a 113 tooth gates timing belt, new tensioner, new idler, new drive gear etc. When I pull the pin on the tensioner and it tensions, it doesn't have enough reach to tension the belt properly. I tried a different tensioner with the same results. A 111 tooth belt is too small, is a 112 tooth belt available for this motor? I saw pictures on google where someone drilled and tapped the back of a hydraulic tensioner and used a nut and bolt to manually adjust tension of the belt, and am hoping that isn't the route I am forced to take.

matt dunn
Club4AG Regular

Re: timing belt wont tension - 7rib -

Postby matt dunn » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:24 am

I thought hydraulic tensioners were only used on the Blacktop 20V engines ?
The Blacktop uses a different belt to the Silvertop as the tensioner wheel is in a different location.
That may be why you are a tooth out in the belt,
as the Silvertop 20V has the same tensioner setup as all the 16v's.

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:40 am

Yep sounds to me like you are using a Blacktop tensioner on a 16v.
If so the easiest solution would be to get a 16v oil pump and tensioner. If you are rebuilding the motor it's a good idea to replace the oil pump and tensioner anyway.

MisterJerk
Club4AG Pro

Postby MisterJerk » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:08 pm

16v timing belt with 20v oil pump is a huge pita to get to work. you can extend the 20v tensioner, which i did(drilled out an m6 allen bolt and tacked it onto the end of the tensioner. eventually, i switched out to a 16v oil pump with new tensioner, etc. if you are still running the 20v lower pulley, you should go to the 16v one. unless you like tearing up the alternator/wp/fan belt.

also you will notice the alternator mount and the 20v tensioner utilize some of the same space.

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:42 pm

if indeed you do have a 20V blacktop pump, once you switch it out.... DON'T rely on the STUPID timing belt tensioning spring!! Here is the FSM specifics for tightening the timing belt

OST Cyl head porting, - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=300

Building a great engine takes knowing the end... before you begin :ugeek:

Enjoy Life... its the only one you get!