16v small port oil drain

ktm
Club4AG Regular

16v small port oil drain

Postby ktm » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:10 pm

I'm building a 7age. I will be using a 16v small port head with an oil drain. I was thinking about putting a welded bung in the aluminum part of the oil pan. running the drain from the head into the oil pan. I was wondering if any one has done this. The head is coming off of a 4 age block that did not have the drain in the block,and they plumbed it into the oil pan.

MisterJerk
Club4AG Pro

Re: 16v small port oil drain

Postby MisterJerk » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:03 am

usually they just block them off at the head

gotzoom?
Club4AG Expert

Postby gotzoom? » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:19 am

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:29 pm

I would definitely keep the drain. In fact if I ever built a largeport for high performance I would add similar drains to it.
You could likely tap a hole in the block. Or you could put a bung in the pan.

gotzoom?
Club4AG Expert

Postby gotzoom? » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:09 pm

^ Agreed. The 16v heads do not have an internal oil drain on the intake side and this causes oil to collect in the head and get blown out the crankcase breather under high load left hand turns. You definitely want to have it functioning. That's why I retrofitted a bung on my oilpan. It's not expensive and it's easy to do.

Rogue-AE95
Club4AG Expert

Postby Rogue-AE95 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:46 pm

yoshimitsuspeed wrote:You could likely tap a hole in the block. Or you could put a bung in the pan.

What about having the starter on the intake side, would that interfere with the drain line? I noticed the 7A block doesn't have a flat spot for the block side of the oil drain, like the later 4A blocks have.

I have to keep the starter on the intake side because of my E series gearbox. I can't move the starter.
'88 Corolla All-Trac x2 (manual, auto)

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:07 pm

Rogue-AE95 wrote:
yoshimitsuspeed wrote:You could likely tap a hole in the block. Or you could put a bung in the pan.

What about having the starter on the intake side, would that interfere with the drain line? I noticed the 7A block doesn't have a flat spot for the block side of the oil drain, like the later 4A blocks have.

I have to keep the starter on the intake side because of my E series gearbox. I can't move the starter.

It should be easy enough to work around it with flexible tubing. I haven't looked at doing this on a block without the flat but it may still be possible to find a strong safe spot in the block to tap into. Nothing wrong with tying into the pan either. Makes it a little less convenient if/when you need to pull the pan but other than that it should work well.