Realistic NA Build HP.

ToeKnee805
Club4AG Expert

Re: Realistic NA Build HP.

Postby ToeKnee805 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:21 am

In a sense everyone is correct. Sucks that the thread got derailed.

Yes if I'm looking for easy reliable 200hp I can go f20 unfortunately I don't have the money or the desire to swap a honda engine into my car. And yes a NA 4ag can reach the power goals I'm aiming for it just takes some more work than I anticipated. What makes sense is to keep my current turbo setup and send some cash to make it reliable(knock monitoring, and good internals) and that way I'll be making the power I want with the reliability I'm looking for.

/endthread
1986 Corolla GT-S -- Unmolested -- Now Resto Project
1985 Corolla GT-S -- Turbo Levin Track Car
1982 Corolla 1.8 -- Sitting collecting dust

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:13 pm

ToeKnee805 wrote:In a sense everyone is correct. Sucks that the thread got derailed.

Yes if I'm looking for easy reliable 200hp I can go f20 unfortunately I don't have the money or the desire to swap a honda engine into my car. And yes a NA 4ag can reach the power goals I'm aiming for it just takes some more work than I anticipated. What makes sense is to keep my current turbo setup and send some cash to make it reliable(knock monitoring, and good internals) and that way I'll be making the power I want with the reliability I'm looking for.

/endthread

200 HP na 4AGE is fully possible but it's not going to be cheap. 200 CHP isn't too crazy, 200 WHP you are talking a serious build and serious money.

On the other hand 250 WHP turbo can be done easily and with the right supporting mods will not only be not breaking a sweat but would be begging you to throw more at it. It would also have more low end and a broader power curve than the 200 hp NA motor.

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:29 pm

A 7AGE properly built will get you so close to your goals it isn't funny.... A proper 7AGE can plant over 200hp, and over 150#/ft.

Just a thought :geek:
OST Cyl head porting, - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=300

Building a great engine takes knowing the end... before you begin :ugeek:

Enjoy Life... its the only one you get!

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:21 pm

oldeskewltoy wrote:A 7AGE properly built will get you so close to your goals it isn't funny.... A proper 7AGE can plant over 200hp, and over 150#/ft.

Just a thought :geek:

Yeah that would definitely help. It still takes a pretty solid build with a decent budget but would be a better route IMO than 4A and wouldn't need to be wrung out quite as much.

jinx
Club4AG Expert

Postby jinx » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:07 pm

What makes sense is to keep my current turbo setup and send some cash to make it reliable(knock monitoring, and good internals)

agreed with this (and yoshi) from the getgo. You're off to a good start imo
I'd focus on good tuning above all else. Fix the crankcase breathing too
Better internals would be nice, but still wont prevent a meltdown. I personally wouldn't bother at this stage
What current turbo size and boost ? Too small is bad for track use

I'm confused. If you hate the 4AGE so much why are you here? You seem to have a fixed belief that it's crap and there is so much evidence to show the contrary I don't really understand why or how you could think this.

If you draw that conclusion from my comments...... then yes, you really are confused
I've been into 4AGs for a minute, but unlike you, I have no illusions about its capabilities
A 4agte will serve most corolla enthusiasts well, then.... there are those with lofty goals
Even with T4 compressors, stock 4AG head/cams strangle ~300hp. So $$$$$$ That is Weak compared to alternatives
For eg.; CA/SR get u the stronger box, 400+hp oe innards, boost ready electronics, (starter under the intake, where it belongs), etc
Throw money at a 4agte getting it up to scratch, if thats your thing. Others have found 'shortcuts' to higher output

Evo_lucian
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Evo_lucian » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:29 pm

I have very little to add with all that has already been said. Over the years i have always said that "realistic", "high hp" , "4age", "N/A" seldom are used in the same sentence. I have seen folks pour thousands into a 4ag just to end up with 150whp and 125~tq. With that money a decent budget 4ag turbo could have been had and resulted in a cheaper, more powerful, equally reliable motor. Don't even get me started on the 7age builds.

I understand your argument jinx and i think i have heard it from you many times over the years but you have to remember that all this is club4ag. There will always be more powerful, more modern, more reliable motors