Problems with air flow meter or relay

Underdog86
Club4AG Regular

Problems with air flow meter or relay

Postby Underdog86 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:42 pm

I have used multiple relays and the car still shuts off if I open the relay and stuff paper in it to keep the relay open ( fuel pump always on) t will work if I put in a new relay car shuts off it cranks but dies right away my car is a 1986 gts hatch
Any help or suggestions would be cool thank u

323-365-1052
I'm John

totta crolla
Club4AG Pro

Re: Problems with air flow meter or relay

Postby totta crolla » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:32 am

Underdog86 wrote:I have used multiple relays and the car still shuts off if I open the relay and stuff paper in it to keep the relay open ( fuel pump always on) t will work if I put in a new relay car shuts off it cranks but dies right away my car is a 1986 gts hatch
Any help or suggestions would be cool thank u

323-365-1052
I'm John

Sooo.....
It cranks ok all of the time ?
The engine starts but then dies after a short time ?
What pointed you to the fuel pump relay as a fault ?

Underdog86
Club4AG Regular

Postby Underdog86 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:05 am

I'm not really sure my buddy said it might be bad so he opened it up and forced to stay open and then my car ran and that is how I am driving it every day but from time to time when the paper slips out it cuts off and its happened to me on the freeway and that's pretty scary not for my life but the life of my 86 :) she's pretty and an m3 killer but any ways I'm pretty stuck as to what a fix could be I've put in 3 different relays and still nothing

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:27 am

Do you mean you took the COR (Circuit Opening Relay) apart? Or are you talking about something else?
Either way you have taken the long route to an easy test. Do you have a FSM? In it there is a procedure to jump the FP terminal in the diagnostic port. This bypasses the AFM switch and the COR.
If bypassing the COR fixes the problem then you have to figure out where between the AFM, COR and related wiring the problem is. This all comes down to busting out the DMM and going through everything per the FSM.

Underdog86
Club4AG Regular

Postby Underdog86 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:57 pm

Hello and thanks for your reply I'm talking about the black and yellow relay under the glove box I took that apart and forced it open or to stay open and what's a fsm? And jump the fp to what or is it f and p ? Any way u have pics or can text me pics please not a big rush just what to have a reliable car for work 323-365-1052 any more help will be amazing and greatly appreciated thank u all you kind sirs

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:13 pm

Factory service manual. You shouldn't be in as far as you are without one.

Esenpai
Club4AG Expert

Postby Esenpai » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:19 pm

Ground wire on header side its a skinny little wire thats the ground for the afm i had what sounds like the same problems as you look for it. Mine ran into the main ground wire on the lower frame it goes up towards the dizzy should have a yellowish plug its really small plug might be gone i just twisted the two.ends together and it works fine. Car wont run without it