cam driven distributor

ian.stewart
Club4AG Regular

cam driven distributor

Postby ian.stewart » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:29 am

Im out playing with my 16v engine, I want to run a distributor off the end of the cam, I believe there is or was a aftermarket kit for doing this, does anybody have details??

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Re: cam driven distributor

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:41 pm

I only know of them being available for the 20v. I never liked the idea. I have a hard time believing it would be easy to keep it as accurate. But then I never saw how they connect to the end of the cam.

Rogue-AE95
Club4AG Expert

Postby Rogue-AE95 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:02 pm

From the cam gear end? I know that was done with using a Honda distributor (and a chipped Honda ECU to run the engine) in an MR2.
'88 Corolla All-Trac x2 (manual, auto)

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:35 pm

More or less anything is possible with a bit of ingenuity and
some effort...

But you have to ask yourself, is the effort justified by the end
result that you want to achieve ?

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

Jimmee1990
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Jimmee1990 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:32 am

I don't see why there would ever be a need to move the distributor on a 16v, it's not in the way of anything. What are you trying to gain?

ian.stewart
Club4AG Regular

Postby ian.stewart » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:37 pm

Jimmee1990 wrote:I don't see why there would ever be a need to move the distributor on a 16v, it's not in the way of anything. What are you trying to gain?

I am at present building a small lightweight Hotrod/streetrod,
The car is going to be, I hope be retro in style, My intentions are to disguise the engine, hence, Where I want to go with the engine, one of the things I want to do is lose the serpentine belt and retrofit a V belt drive, use a small denso alternator inside a old Lucas Dynamo case etc,
I will cast an alloy front cover so I can direct drive a distributor off the end of the cam, the distributor has a drive off of it so I can run a chronomatic mechanical tach, internals of the dissy will probably running a 36-1 disc inside it running an optical trigger and mapped 3d ignition

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:08 pm

If you are just using it for a trigger wheel why not get rid of the dizzy altogether? Use a crank trigger wheel.

Right now I am developing a flywheel that will have an integrated trigger wheel on the back. The sensor will be hidden under the timing belt cover. It would actually be pretty perfect for you because the techy stuff is all hidden.
The prototype is being manufactured right now.

ian.stewart
Club4AG Regular

Postby ian.stewart » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:32 am

yoshimitsuspeed wrote:If you are just using it for a trigger wheel why not get rid of the dizzy altogether? Use a crank trigger wheel.

Right now I am developing a flywheel that will have an integrated trigger wheel on the back. The sensor will be hidden under the timing belt cover. It would actually be pretty perfect for you because the techy stuff is all hidden.
The prototype is being manufactured right now.

I thought about the flywheel idea, 4.6 gems Rangerovers have a riveted on ring the flywheel/flex plate, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-RA ... 3a971536d1

it will be tight trying to fit a sensor and wheel behind the belt cover, there might be a way. how do I hade a coil pack?

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:54 pm

Agh, I can't believe I said flywheel. I meant crank pulley.

The coils would be a concern but there may be some solutions you find acceptable.
You could hide a coil pack say up behind the firewall.
Or maybe you can find some that would look acceptable to you.
These don't look terribly retro but not bad either.
http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/ign4 ... p-409.html

I sell a mount plate for this coilpack that goes where the dizzy did.

burdickjp
Club4AG Expert

Postby burdickjp » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:29 pm

Later 4A-FE and 7A-FEs used crank triggers. The oil pump is provisioned for a pick up. Their crank timing gears were larger diameter and thicker, but it doesn't take much to mate one of the FE crank trigger wheels to the GE timing pulley.
Pursuing the ideal

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:53 pm

The 7AFE gear I have has the trigger wheel integrated into the pulley. The 7A oil pump is also the small lower volume style and also moves the tensioner a little bit.

burdickjp
Club4AG Expert

Postby burdickjp » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:41 pm

yoshimitsuspeed wrote:The 7AFE gear I have has the trigger wheel integrated into the pulley. The 7A oil pump is also the small lower volume style and also moves the tensioner a little bit.

You can cut the wheel off and attach it to a 4A-G pulley, or have some laser cut and attach them, or make a whole new one.

For what he wants, I don't think the smaller, lower volume pump will be much of a detriment.
Pursuing the ideal

jinx
Club4AG Expert

Postby jinx » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:52 pm

a friend d.i.y. done exactly that on 2 of his cars, no issues. He shaved down the end of the shaft to square shape and stuck a socket on there, that slide over the cam bolt

Rogue-AE95
Club4AG Expert

Postby Rogue-AE95 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:50 pm

jinx wrote:Image

a friend d.i.y. done exactly that on 2 of his cars, no issues. He shaved down the end of the shaft to square shape and stuck a socket on there, that slide over the cam bolt

Ingenious, I love it!
'88 Corolla All-Trac x2 (manual, auto)