SQ Engineering Oil pump pressure kit install?

overspool
Club4AG Enthusiast

SQ Engineering Oil pump pressure kit install?

Postby overspool » Thu May 15, 2014 11:38 am

So I just ordered the SQ Engineering pressure kit from Battle Garage, and I was wondering if anybody has installed one of these before? I'm hoping I don't have to remove my oil pump to do it (I literally just put this car back together and discovered I needed more oil pressure). Thanks!

overspool
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: SQ Engineering Oil pump pressure kit install?

Postby overspool » Thu May 15, 2014 11:55 am

Nevermind, I found my FSM. Looks like in the very least I have to pull my oil pan. Not excited about that, but oh well.

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Thu May 15, 2014 7:38 pm

I don't know anything about your build but it sounds like you are going about this the wrong way. The stock oil pressure is plenty for most builds. It's also not hit at lower RPM. If your oil pressure is too low at idle or low RPM then increasing the bypass pressure won't change anything because there isn't enough oil being pumped to open the bypass. If oil pressure is too low at low RPM then it's most likely your pump is worn or your motor is too loose.

allencr
Club4AG Expert

Postby allencr » Thu May 15, 2014 11:29 pm

X2

The relief valve only limits the highest pressure created and does absolutely nothing at any pressure under that, unless it is jammed/not closing completely.

overspool
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby overspool » Thu May 15, 2014 11:37 pm

I know. It makes it so the relief valve opens up at a higher pressure, resulting in a higher max pressure (nothing for low end). My oil pump maxes out at 50psi, which could be due to loose tolerances, but it's pretty standard at idle, which leads me to believe that it is a worn out relief spring. It isn't slow to build pressure either, it builds right up to that pretty fast.

MisterJerk
Club4AG Pro

Postby MisterJerk » Sun May 18, 2014 7:55 am

are you looking at the stock gauge? that thing is only good for "ballpark" guesses. get a real oil pressure gauge first. for one the gauge cluster is 25+ years old. 2nd, so is the sender and wiring.

Sam_Q

Postby Sam_Q » Mon May 19, 2014 1:12 am

I would of been happy to answer this query, should you or anyone else have any product inquiries then feel free to send it to me directly. I don't want to leave my customers in the dark on how to do anything.

As for what you want to know. This is a copy of the HKS kit and has the same instructions. I have a policy against copying anything but in this case it was no longer made so there was no hard in it.

Here is how the oil pressure up kit is installed I better make a pictorial guide but for now this will have to do:

- On the bottom of the oil pump housing is a round hole with a circlip
- Put some circlip pliers on the clip, use a screwdriver or similar to push the round disk up (Spring seat) and then undo the clip. Without releasing the pressure the parts might fly out.
- remove the spring seat but leave the piston and existing spring in place
- out of the kit put the new spring inside the existing, one goes inside the other
- put the spring seat back down as it was and the supplier washer under it
- pushing everything back down put the circlip back in place.

Give the washer a good push a few times as well as the circlip to make sure it's sitting correctly in the slot.
SQ Engineering- 16 and 20V 4AGE conversion parts
http://s-86.com

overspool
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby overspool » Mon May 19, 2014 12:28 pm

MisterJerk- I have an STRI oil pressure gauge, definitely not stock.

Sam_Q- awesome. Thanks dood! I ordered the kit through battle garage.I'm excited to install it.

MisterJerk
Club4AG Pro

Postby MisterJerk » Tue May 20, 2014 8:31 am

overspool wrote:MisterJerk- I have an STRI oil pressure gauge, definitely not stock.

My bad, I meant to post it in the low oil pressure thread.

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Tue May 20, 2014 8:46 am

Sam... does your kit come with the restrictor to the head??
OST Cyl head porting, - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=300

Building a great engine takes knowing the end... before you begin :ugeek:

Enjoy Life... its the only one you get!

Sam_Q

Postby Sam_Q » Tue May 20, 2014 9:23 pm

No I intentionally did not make that part of the kit for two reasons- it would likely cause issues trying to active the VVT pulley on 20V engines that still have them being used and second isn't that only bigports thing before the oil drains where introduced in the heads?
SQ Engineering- 16 and 20V 4AGE conversion parts
http://s-86.com

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Thu May 22, 2014 9:10 am

Sam_Q wrote:No I intentionally did not make that part of the kit for two reasons- it would likely cause issues trying to active the VVT pulley on 20V engines that still have them being used and second isn't that only bigports thing before the oil drains where introduced in the heads?

It actually has 2 uses... to restrict flow to the head... AND conversely... it keeps more pressure in the block. Not a huge deal... its nice to see continued development ;)
OST Cyl head porting, - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=300

Building a great engine takes knowing the end... before you begin :ugeek:

Enjoy Life... its the only one you get!