4AGZE performance

redroku87
Club4AG Expert

4AGZE performance

Postby redroku87 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:27 pm

How much power can be squeezed from one of these little baddies?

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Re: 4AGZE performance

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:41 pm

This is a pretty loaded question.
First are we talking about smallport or largeport?

Are we talking about keeping the SC12 and stock engine management or swapping one or both out for something better?

If you are talking about just the longblock then there have been some dynos on youtube showing cars break 500 and 600 hp that allegedly were all stock internals other than hardware and I would assume cams.

If we are talking about keeping the SC12 then for any reasonable amount of money you would be lucky to break 180 WHP. I think 200 is possible but for the amount of money it would take you could get a lot more out of a turbo or other setup.

The engine management is another issue. The AFM GZE has low end leanout so anything that makes more than 8 PSI under 3500 RPM starts to threaten the motor. On the other hand if you strapped a massive turbo on it that couldn't make more than 8 PSI before 3500 RPM then who knows what's possible. The other option is to install a gruntbox but at about half the price of basic megasquirt it seems hard to justify. Of course it's a lot easier to install.
There was a member on the MR2OC who with a Grunt Box and 440 injectors was able to make 19 or so PSI while maintaining decent AFRs under boost. Unfortunately the 440s are too big for the ECU to deal with well off boost and in closed loop.

The MAP ECU has problems of it's own including a power dip that many think is due to it pulling timing. Possibly from false knock inputs. The reason is not known for sure but it is obvious on dynos.
The other big limiting factor is the MAP sensor. I think it's one bar so it's pretty easy to run up to about 15 PSI boost but more than that and you will need to start figuring out alternatives.

Many of the things you can do to get more potential out of the stock system just don't practically make sense since you will get so much more upgrading to better systems.

jinx
Club4AG Expert

Postby jinx » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:20 pm

enough power to propell street ae86 to high 13s. Seen a couple detailed on the net a few years back.... which is hella respectable for "moded" stock equipment. All produced from a puny but torquey 1.6L. An unusual blend

redroku87
Club4AG Expert

Postby redroku87 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:40 pm

jinx wrote:enough power to propell street ae86 to high 13s. Seen a couple detailed on the net a few years back.... which is hella respectable for "moded" stock equipment. All produced from a puny but torquey 1.6L. An unusual blend

Really? Now that is interesting.
I found out that my AE86 is getting a large port now instead of a 20V due to 20Vs not being available at the time. How much do you think that it would cost to get one to do that?

Yosh, do you have a supercharger laying around?