Interest in bigger 4AGZE intake piping and TB thread

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Re: Interest in bigger 4AGZE intake piping and TB thread

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:16 pm

I got the outlet flange drawn up today.
I did the inlet flange and stock TB flange a long time ago.
If anyone wanted to step up to the LS400 TB I can make up a flange for that too.
I'm pretty much ready to move forward on this if anyone wants to jump on board.

supraman10
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby supraman10 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:47 pm

yoshimitsuspeed wrote:I'm still trying to find my old ABV for those interested in keeping the stock one.
Played around with some ideas today though.
This is pretty much what I was thinking for the piping for FR applications.
I just need to know exactly how much room there is between the SC and the passengers side fenderwell. If someone could get me a top down pic with some measurements that would help a ton.
Also if we went with this LS400 TB the throttle cable would have to reach to that bracket by my thumb. Would that be feasible?
It could be possible to run the intake piping above or below the outlet pipe as well if that fit better.

Supraman was interested in an intake manifold as well so here's my idea. There is plenty of room if I do a small bend and then taper the plenum up above the SC brackets. I would then weld mounting brackets to the runner for the SC and add some reinforcement around it if necessary.
The first pic is just a u bend of the right diameter piping. It would be cut at the minimal angle to clear the SC as represented by some other scrap metal I had shown in the second pic.

There could be a flange on this side of the plenum for a FMIC or the flange could be put in the middle of the plenum or wherever was most ideal for the particular build.

There seems to be plenty of room next to the lower part of the motor on the intake side. One problem with trying to run the intake pipe under the supercharger is there is a lack of space between the supercharger and the front swaybar and other associated front suspension components as it is(even worse when you have to use Cusco motor mounts to lower the engine). As long as there is still room for plumbing of the cooling system and the Thermostat housing along the back side of the motor it doesn't really matter what throttle body you decide to use.

Also, in regards to your comment of a recirculating BOV, they recirculate back to an open atmospheric condition rather than to a forced draw and this can cause issues in getting the BOV to release or close properly. This would better be done by an External Wastegate setup. Another option a friend of mine used when he decided to run an SC14 on his MKII Supra was an aftermarket Bypass valve by Vortech. This also allowed him to use a throttle body on the intake plenum rather than before the supercharger, which just made things simpler. There is no reason to bother wasting time worrying about a throttle body location in regards to a specific length of throttle cable. I have proven this by simply getting an old Camry cable and modifying it to work with my AE86 throttle setup minus cruise control. The result was instantly better throttle response and less clutter under the hood(YAY!) :mrgreen:

As for an optimum build for an AE86, the shortest piping possible and least exposure to unnecessary heat is the basis for an optimum build. The additional positive attributes to a single sided system like this(as in everything being on one side of the motor) is there is zero exposure to the excess heat put off by the exhaust system. :oops: :twisted:

BTW sorry ive been out of the loop for so long. I had to go back to MN to meet my new son. :D :D

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:46 pm

No worries and congrats.
So do you think there is room if the intake piping ran parallel to the SC discharge pipe like in my pic?

I don't really see how the BOV would be negatively effected by the SC design. Can you explain?
BOV, BPV and WG are all essentially the same in function and usually design. Only difference is a WG can take a lot more heat.