COP

Toyo81
Club4AG Regular

COP

Postby Toyo81 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:14 pm

I have a silvertop with a black top ECU, it was running ok with none brand coils, one burned so I got Denso 673-1306, after installing them the car would not start and if it does wont stay on, I got some other brand ICO32130 and it does the same thing, not sure what is going on. Hope someone can help.

totta crolla
Club4AG Pro

Re: COP

Postby totta crolla » Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:57 am

I would suspect ecu ignition drivers.
They were not designed to drive this type of coil.

Jeonsah
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jeonsah » Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:50 am

Double check your plugs are not fowled. Wire brush them down with a brass brush.

morgan
Club4AG Pro

Postby morgan » Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:45 am

I've had nothing but issues with the COP conversion. With the wasted spark, they overheat and bog out between 5-6000rpm, pending ambient temps, etc. There's only a few coils that have been proven to work in the wasted spark configuration. your best bet is Honda D17 coils, 3 wires, super easy to hook up. Then there's the 1NZ coils.

Take a look in the SPARK section of my 20v swap write-up, link in signature. There's a link to a thread when people first started doing this, what wires to hook up, and what coils to use.
haha cali...i got one of your 86's and you're not getting it back.
My turd of an 86
20v swapped 86 write-up

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:53 pm

morgan wrote:I've had nothing but issues with the COP conversion. With the wasted spark, they
overheat and bog out between 5-6000rpm,

^^^^^ truth !!! COP's are designed to be fired sequentially by an ECU with four ignition outputs.
Batch firing them with a factory ECU that only has a single ignition output results in the COP being
fired at four times the frequency it was designed for i.e. on a 4AGE conversion using the factory ECU
and operating at 5,000rpm, the coils are firing at the equivalent of 20,000rpm.

No surprise that they overheat and burn out. But worse than that, the coil charging time is too low
to generate a decent spark at higher rpm's. Any performance benefit that was expected from the
conversion is lost and the factory distributor will do a better job all day every day. Of course the
COP's will work OK at low rpm's where the firing rate drops down closer to their design condition,
and your car is good for short trips to the mall and for taking mom to church.

But if you want to go racing / drifting where sustained high rpm operation is required, do yourself
a favor and get an aftermarket ECU with four ignition outputs. You will gain full control over fuel
and ignition, plus you can tune to suit your mods and make more power :)

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

Toyo81
Club4AG Regular

Postby Toyo81 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:12 pm

Thank you all!