Lit'lphant - Toyota's Hemi V8

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Re: Lit'lphant - Toyota's Hemi V8

Postby oldeskewltoy » Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:14 am

oldeskewltoy wrote:
Next step (after making an oiling adapter) will be to run it in on a engine test station....

Short low res video....

http://gallery.ostportworks.com/albums/userpics/10005/Untitled3a.mp4

http://gallery.ostportworks.com/albums/userpics/10005/Untitled_1a.mp4

http://gallery.ostportworks.com/albums/userpics/10005/Untitled2a.mp4

And a few stills

So what does a Simtest engine tester test???

https://youtu.be/hBKJdKZlLIM
OST Cyl head porting, - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=300

Building a great engine takes knowing the end... before you begin :ugeek:

Enjoy Life... its the only one you get!

sirdeuce
Club4AG Pro

Postby sirdeuce » Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:51 am

Getting low on popcorn here!
One shot, one kill.

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:46 am

sirdeuce wrote:Getting low on popcorn here!

It is getting near the end..... although it might be another year(?) before it actually runs...... :o

If you remember about 3+ years back..........(3/27/20)

OST wrote:So... with the timing cover and water pump gaskets now in hand... that means we have nearly all the gaskets we'll need

Well... there is a waterpump gasket I still need.....* there is a gasket between the front half (cast aluminum), and the rear half (steel plate). And the only way to get to it is by removing the impeller - rebuilding the waterpump........

And luckily... there is a place nearby (Oregon USA).......https://marvelousparts.com/ Plan is a full rebuild, new seal, new bearing, new gasket the rest will be made to look all "nice and shiney"

Additionally....... One other oddball part found...... a new thermostat. Apparently, a similar* t-stat was used in 20 years of Land Cruisers... Gates has 2 - one is 190 degree (what I ordered), and the other is 180 degree.

* - similar.... https://www.amazon.com/Gates-33049-195f-Thermostat/product-reviews/B000C2SD2I?reviewerType=all_reviews

sirdeuce
Club4AG Pro

Postby sirdeuce » Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:29 pm

Oh yes, the ides of building vintage anything. I have a clock radio sitting on the shelf that I need to get into, and a '77 Corolla that might get sold if I don't want to get ino it.

It is nice to see people building past planned projects for sure! Don't forget the "HEMI" badge when you finally get the thing on the road.
One shot, one kill.

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Wed May 10, 2023 3:36 pm

It's getting closer....

A bit further.... while the thermostat is essentially the same, the t-stat housing/coolant outlet gasket is only 5V, so I bought ($6) some gasket material and made one.

By the way, the pump is back.....

And on the throttle body front...

by notching out the bolt holes, I'll be able to run the Ford 5.4 liter T/B (70mm) on the stock manifold. The manifold is about 65mm, so once I've determine final location (likely pinned), I'll open up the stock manifold opening to 70mm.

more to come....... :D

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Fri May 12, 2023 9:38 am

installed a roll pin so that I could set the T/B on to the 5V manifold. Once pinned, I scribed the new opening, and opened it from 65mm, to 70mm/

full size image - https://gallery.ostportworks.com/albums/userpics/10005/intake_manifold_and_Ford_70mm_throttle_body_fitted_showing_roll_pin.jpg

Roll pin install - 3rd times the charm. Currently planning on using the EGR passage for idle air control.....

more to come.... ;)

sirdeuce
Club4AG Pro

Postby sirdeuce » Sat May 13, 2023 9:14 am

Manifold looks like a prime candidate for a blower! With the inlet in the center, and all those bolt bosses would make for a simple plate adapter. Could even mod the TB mount mound to make a big 'ol hole for an Eaton outlet. Could even get away with an M90 if all that was wanted was low to mid RPM.

Hmmmmm.....
One shot, one kill.

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Thu May 18, 2023 3:34 pm

Not sure if you realize the outer holes are where the injectors fit. The only bolt holes are between the ports - either side.

As far as supercharging this, it was an option when I began 3 years ago.... but one of my searches found a boosted one that may have caused liner shift @ about 400hp. Remember the cylinder liners fit into the block, and it is an open deck, so there isn't a great deal of rigidity.

This engine is nothing like a Chrysler 426 hemi, those ports were made for 2 things: NASCAR, and a 6-71 blower. The 5V-EU has high speed ports, quite a bit smaller, in fact they may (likely will be) my limiter on power. I expect (do to port size) that I'll have a nice torque curve based on intake charge air speed, but I'm having doubts of making 300hp(260whp). Originally the 5V made 190PS, so 187hp. Compression is roughly 10.7:, up from 8:1, cam duration @ .050" went from 182, to 218. Cam lift was .240", and is now .303" Multiply by 1.4 for valve lift. So all the ingredients are there.....

Having grown up in the 60s/70s, and getting my license in 1976, I always liked the Pony car class, Muscle cars were also cool, but I always preferred the smaller Pony cars. I owned a 66 Shelby GT350-H at one time..... So I'm making the only VX22 in existence - a 2 door coupe with distinct styling that would make a great Pony car with a small block Hemi V8. Well that's the plan........

Engine is now assembled.

sirdeuce
Club4AG Pro

Postby sirdeuce » Fri May 19, 2023 2:10 pm

Yep, I saw the bolt holes and recognized the injecto holes. I was looking at the nice center mounting of the TB. Looked like a nice spot to build an adapter. I guess a lot of EFI manifolds would be easy to adapt a blower, with the upper mani/plenum removed.
As for cyliner shift? Cylinder girdle.

Would look awesome with a blower between thos valve covers though!

Wanna put that thing in my '77 Rolla? ? ? Hehe
One shot, one kill.

sirdeuce
Club4AG Pro

Postby sirdeuce » Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:40 pm

OST! Man it's been a while, any update?
One shot, one kill.

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:56 am

The engine is done........... ;)

But there are some updates....

1) I managed to score an OEM 85amp alternator... in working order!

2) The engine does "fit".... kinda (larger photo) - http://gallery.ostportworks.com/albums/userpics/10005/view_with_brake_master_from_above.jpg

But it'll need some custom work to actually fit the exhaust....

ImageImage

Those photos are all without a transmission fitted - Just to see how it would fit, and what it needs. As far as fitting the exhaust - my plan is to have a restoration shop (https://www.brosseauscoachworks.com/) provide enough room, and make the headers.

This is likely how the engine compartment will be modified to fit the headers.....

The "lump", now fitted with an AR5 (aka American R154) through the OEM automatic bellhousing, and an adapter designed to swap anything with an A340E to an AR5 manual. To actuate the clutch it will uses a center push type slave, and I'll need to drill two holes in the bell to route the hydraulic lines from/to

And the 1st attempt at installing it as a drivetrain

So there is progress.... :)

sirdeuce
Club4AG Pro

Postby sirdeuce » Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:41 am

What exhaust are you planning to use? Stock manifolds or headers? With those chassis mods, will it be necessary to fab a subframe?

Being a "Hemi" with the plugs on top they'll at least be easy to change. I hated changing the plugs in my 351C powered Cougar, it was at least that tight on a couple of the plugs.

That there lump is purty!

One shot, one kill.

sirdeuce
Club4AG Pro

Postby sirdeuce » Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:41 am

You could widen the whole car!!!
One shot, one kill.