AE82 BUILD

AllyKat

AE82 BUILD

Postby AllyKat » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:29 am

Hey guys, a couple months ago, I purchased an AE82 basket case, with the original motor and a replacement motor. The original was a 16v red top 4AGELC, the replacement appears to be a 16v blue top 4AGE. The red top has been reconditioned, it suffered a blown head gasket and has since been rebuilt. I'm now trying to reinstall everything. The issue I've run into is this: the cooling system is not making a whole lot of sense to me. There is probably a housing between the thermostat and the block that I've yet to locate in the crates of parts that came with the car. Also, does this thing use four, or five cooling system hoses? I've searched for images, but everything I find is top motor and there are a couple variations as well. Any help would be much appreciated, I'll likely spend a couple hours on the electrical system. Seems the previous owner felt the need to disconnect EVERYTHING regardless of application...joy.

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

ga_goosh
Club4AG Pro

Re: AE82 BUILD

Postby ga_goosh » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:28 pm

what "red Top" do you have? small port non tvis or large port tvis? this makes a big difference because all the wiring conections are different between these two motors.

the housing between the termostat and the block is the water pump backing plate and/or water pump.

is your car RWD or FWD? Im assuming RWD since you are saying the original engine is a 4ag. and RWD for the same reason. what year is it? i think its a 87. is it a FX ae82? it sounds like it but please let me know and i can probably help

you might want to sign up for toyodiy.com. the pics on that site will help you to determine what you need and it will also give you part numbers incase you need to buy something new. it will also tell you what other vehicles use the same parts.
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

Toyoloog
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: AE82 BUILD

Postby Toyoloog » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:19 am

The smallport was only available in the late AE92. IF the "redtop" is indeed the original motor it's going to be a bigport with T-VIS, 3-rib block.
Coffee is what makes civilized life possible in these demanding times...

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

Return to “TECH: Corolla FWD / MR2”