Stonger driveline for FX16

taroroot
Club4AG Enthusiast

Stonger driveline for FX16

Postby taroroot » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:53 pm

Any ideas for a reasonable setup to get a stronger transmission and and shafts for a FX16 that is running rallycross. I just dumped a bunch of money and work into rebuilding a 20V ST and got it running in there, but sheared a CV shaft at last event. This is the third shaft I've snapped, and this one was a custom Driveshaft shop one. To be fair, this one sheared at the transmission side which was using the OEM end. The custom parts are the center shaft and wheel end which are stong now, but it's only as strong as its weakest link, which moved to the transmission side. I'm thinking I'll have to move to a E51/58 and have new shafts made, that should make it near bulletproof. But I'm afraid it will mess up gear ratios. Rally cross we only see to 2nd gear, with the N/A 4age's I like to keep revs high. Are there options for adjusting the final drive on these? I'll want to put in an LSD, going without one would be silly. If I didn't run an LSD, I wouldn't need to get the stronger drivetrain in the first place. I understand AW20 MR2 LSDs should work.

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Re: Stonger driveline for FX16

Postby oldeskewltoy » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:52 am

friend who use to rally ran a C60, and installed a mount on the engine so the car ran equal half shafts
OST Cyl head porting, - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=300

Building a great engine takes knowing the end... before you begin :ugeek:

Enjoy Life... its the only one you get!

sirdeuce
Club4AG Pro

Postby sirdeuce » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:45 am

OST is right, the AE101/111 has the right parts for the 2 piece passenger side shaft. It reduces axle wrap-up and was originally to battle the effects of torque steer.
One shot, one kill.

taroroot
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby taroroot » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:41 pm

Unfortunately our courses are pretty rough, grass cow pasture. This past event we had a total of four broken driveshafts! My worry is could get full custom shaft made with stronger materials, but then the transmission would not be able to handle it.
The other thing I could do would be to modify my driving and be more mellow, but that wouldn't be any fun!

GZE_RA21
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby GZE_RA21 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:00 pm

I happen to have an E58 that came attached to my AE92 4AGZE that I won't be using. Non-LSD I think, or at least you can see straight through the axle inputs. Shoot me an email if it's something you'd be interested in. Pjerroldjones@yahoo.com