Swapping a 3stge 4th gen into 86 corolla

AE86Batgirl
Club4AG Regular

Swapping a 3stge 4th gen into 86 corolla

Postby AE86Batgirl » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:40 pm

Hi I was wondering if anyone knew the wiring diagram to swap in a 3stge 4gen turbo motor the celica motor with coil packs in to my AE86 toyota corolla with a 4age motor.

AE86Batgirl
Club4AG Regular

Re: Swapping a 3stge 4th gen into 86 corolla

Postby AE86Batgirl » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:07 pm

3sgte motor sorry.

iggy1evin
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby iggy1evin » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:10 am

Sorry chica your gonna need to find both diagrams and splice them yourself there really isnt a diagram already made for both.

AE86Batgirl
Club4AG Regular

Postby AE86Batgirl » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:23 pm

Do you know if the 4th gen motor is for FWD cars only? Or can I put a 4th hen in my corolla?

iggy1evin
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby iggy1evin » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:04 pm

Its been done before but i've heard that its a real pita. The engine is tilted from factory so if you plan to mount it the way toyota designed it then what ever tranny like a (w-series) you chose to put in it will also have a tilt as well.custom exhaust mani, setting up the piping for a front mount or cutting a vent in your bonnet if you wanna run it top mount. Thats just from the top of my head, if you still want a 3s i recommond getting a beams blacktop motor from an altezza and just run a turbo on it. Since its a rwd layout you dont have to worry about and tilt or other bs, but i will say that the beams swap isnt cheap either just more easier.

AE86Batgirl
Club4AG Regular

Postby AE86Batgirl » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:37 am

Dang a lot more work than I expected i just that I would have to cut and match the wires. So what if I put a 3gen in it since it's from a mr2 which is RDW you think it will be better?

chohdog
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby chohdog » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:28 am

Thoughts and dreams are easier to create than a legit motor swap. Hardly any toyota swap is "cut and match the wires" and in addition, the MR2 is a mid engine mounted RWD vehicle using a transaxle, essentially the same as a FWD vehicle, but only in reverse. The orientation and drivetrain layout have more in common with an FF than FR. Judging by the questions you're asking, you're going to need a LOT of help, so hopefully you're not doing this by yourself. Then again, if you had help, they'd answer this question for you.

AE86Batgirl
Club4AG Regular

Postby AE86Batgirl » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:47 pm

I know it's not gonna be easy but I am going to make it happen one way or another. I just need to find out everything I can about it. Since I can get the motor tranny ecu wiring harness all together. I just thought maybe someone could help me with the steps. I'm not a dreamer I'm a builder but since I don't know a lot about this swap that's why I am determined to find out how to make this possible.

chohdog
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby chohdog » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:59 pm

The things you listed are only half the battle. You still need:

Custom engine mount
Custom transmission mount
3S to XX tranmission bellhousing
Transmission (you can't use the MR2 transmission, because its meant for midship mounted RWD)
Clutch kit
Custom driveshaft
Custom clutch line
Radiator orientation is different, so you'll need to figure out which radiator will work
3SGTE intercooler will not mount, because it was meant for a mid engine layout, so you'll need a custom intercoooler
Custom intercooler piping
fittings, for intercooler piping
fittings for oil lines for turbo
Custom lines for oil cooler
different oil cooler
Custom down pipe off turbo
Custom exhaust from the downpipe back

Not to mention you're going from a 112hp engine to a 225hp turbocharged engine that makes a lot more torque, so you'll need
upgraded rear end
ring and pinion

That's just the hardware. Good luck with the build, please update us and post photos when you're done!
Awesome to hear that you're a builder too! Its refreshing to hear that you've actually done some other cool cars. Post some photos of the other stuff you've done when you can, as I'm always looking for inspiration for my own personal builds.