jdm 4age smallport ecu,sensors&wiring questions(new issue)

TruenoGuy86
Club4AG Enthusiast

jdm 4age smallport ecu,sensors&wiring questions(new issue)

Postby TruenoGuy86 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:53 am

hi all. i have a 20v silvertop coil and igniter, i would like to know if they work with a 1990 jdm redtop original wiring and ecu
will any 3 wire toyota map sensor work with redtop smallport 4age?
if i cant, what should i do/find to complete my redtop to start.
Last edited by TruenoGuy86 on Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

sirdeuce
Club4AG Pro

Re: jdm coil & igniter and map sensor question

Postby sirdeuce » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:52 pm

Couldn't say about compatibility on the MAP sensor. I'd think the ITB sensor would have a bit different resistance ramp than a manifold sensor. As for the ignitor, look for wiring diagrams to verify pins. If the pins are the same you should be able to plug and play. If the pins are different locations you should be able to repin the pigtail to make it work. The ignitors pretty much work the same.
One shot, one kill.

TruenoGuy86
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby TruenoGuy86 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:42 pm

sirdeuce wrote:Couldn't say about compatibility on the MAP sensor. I'd think the ITB sensor would have a bit different resistance ramp than a manifold sensor. As for the ignitor, look for wiring diagrams to verify pins. If the pins are the same you should be able to plug and play. If the pins are different locations you should be able to repin the pigtail to make it work. The ignitors pretty much work the same.

ok i think you lost me with itb sensor relevance to map sensor, did you mean how much air that the throttle position allow the ecu to calculate with the vacuum reading from map, that there might be a difference in operation ??
pins wise for igniter is the obvious matching method but my concern is also the operation of the module on an older engine and ecu, like for example if different igniter have difference in current resistance, delay, internal operation etc than each model.

sirdeuce
Club4AG Pro

Postby sirdeuce » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:31 pm

I've interchanged so many without any trouble. As far as the MAP sensors, the resistance ramps could be different through range of the vacuum signal Not sure on that, but it's the main consideration for me. Always worth a try, unless you can find the exact specs to make comparison. I'd like to find a way to get the usdm ignitor to work with the jdm ecu.
One shot, one kill.

TruenoGuy86
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby TruenoGuy86 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:54 am

sirdeuce wrote:I've interchanged so many without any trouble. As far as the MAP sensors, the resistance ramps could be different through range of the vacuum signal Not sure on that, but it's the main consideration for me. Always worth a try, unless you can find the exact specs to make comparison. I'd like to find a way to get the usdm ignitor to work with the jdm ecu.

i found out that this guy http://charmant4age.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... mbers.html
was able to run multiple map sensors with different p/n successfully on his smallport, his ecu is one number different than mine but i dont think thats an issue. its still originally map so jdm or ausdm should be the same.
igniter wise i tried to plug the st20v igniter it was 1% off to the plug, it was a tight fit but there was two extra plastics that the 3rd middle pin sat between and from the outter edge of the igniter there was a raised plastic line for fittment that the plug didn't have a valley for it.
good thing i have complete 20v loom, i guess i will cut and splice the connector to smallport wiring.
if i picked the right connector i think the coil plug fits perfectly the st20v coil, but will have to double check now as i removed the whole loom and got me some diagram to study.
another thing am not sure what to do with is the VSV which isnt available on my engine but want to fit once i get it, how can i make that operational without the oem airbox ? as am sure i will use a cold air intake or something like that.

sirdeuce
Club4AG Pro

Re: jdm 4age smallport ecu, sensors & wiring etc questions

Postby sirdeuce » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:52 pm

Always a better idea to move the pins instead of cutting. As for the VSV, if it's the vacuum port you are concerned about then this is what I did. I drilled a hole in the AFM just before the outlet neck and after the flapper, and used JB weld to hold it in place. The pic is of the AFM in my FX16. If you go this route you never have to mod an intake pipe or coupling. You can do the same with an aftermarket filter. Bolt the VSV anywhere.
One shot, one kill.

TruenoGuy86
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby TruenoGuy86 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:41 am

sirdeuce wrote:Always a better idea to move the pins instead of cutting. As for the VSV, if it's the vacuum port you are concerned about then this is what I did. I drilled a hole in the AFM just before the outlet neck and after the flapper, and used JB weld to hold it in place. The pic is of the AFM in my FX16. If you go this route you never have to mod an intake pipe or coupling. You can do the same with an aftermarket filter. Bolt the VSV anywhere.

you are right just replacing the plug looks more professional and cleaner :)
i will see how much toyota sells the igniter and map before doing the alternative. luckily they are still available new.
i see, according to http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_J_1991_T ... 708.7.html
it says that vsv isnt available for my engine on the 2nd page but the 3rd page has this VALVE ASSY, AIR CONTROL, am guessing i should buy this AIR CLEANER SIDE switch, am i right ? are they the same thing ?

TruenoGuy86
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby TruenoGuy86 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:11 am

got the new map sensor from toyota this week, damn 237 bucks ;O still need the wire and plugs for it as it was cut from the harness, apparently i will buy the new igniter from toyota later on.
my current problem is i just found out that that there isnt a 12 pin connector in my harness i assume it was cut in japan before it came locally didn't notice that before i bought it :( i assume its was wired to the dash harness thats why it wasn't important for the importer.
so my question is what are the important pins i need to connect to that plug ? beside the power feed obviously there is 2 of them one main all the time from the battery the other feeds after the ignition is turned on, according to the wiring diagram and pin identification i got. the rest of pins are about ac magnet and idle up when you turn on the headlights, speed sensor and etc nothing related to engine it self.
should source that 12 pin connector and try connect everything or just custom plugging the essentials pins?