what happened to the community

Anything about cars, as long as it's clean...
No offensive language, no profanity, no nudity, nothing that your mom will slap you for...
Be nice to others.
kiosk
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: what happened to the community

Postby kiosk » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:56 am

mad_86 wrote:hes a straight up chop shop

proof?

Pictures of someone parting out 2 cars is hardly a call for pitchforks

mad_86
Club4AG Expert

Postby mad_86 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:17 pm

May not be a Offical "chop shop" he may own
the cars he part out but it's the mentality of part out this car because I can make money but posting rediculous prices for old used part. Seriously some ppl want to drive these cars or restore them and doing this kind of stuff isnt good for the community just make prices go up & harder to find for people who need them.

I get yeah some people have to part a car or two. I'm not tripping about that all I'm saying is that I see these post for more than a yr and it's always different cars.

Who said anything about pitchforks go ahead & buy his parts i just saying this IS what happening to the community.

Btw. In those craigslist links I saw 4 corollas

blue hatch
Blue coupe
Black coupe
Silver coupe

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:19 am

I just don't get it..

So much complaints in this thread about how the "community" is going "down hill".

Have you guys ever been involved with Hondas, Acuras, etc. etc.? 240s? There are so many worse communities out there. From my experience I love every second of owning an 86. There are so many "do it yourselfers" compared to previous chassis I've owned. It's hard to maintain these cars as a daily driver. The parts can be a little hard to come across ( Although I don't think so) and the chassis is much different than most 90s JDM (think of the multilink rear and front spindle/hub alone).

I dunno, I just get so annoyed because I've made a lot of friends here and everyone who talks to me about my car is super cool and down-to-earth. It's been the best experience I've had with a chassis.

I hate contributing to this thread because I feel it's just a waste of space, but I figured that needed to be said!

If you guys think finding parts are that bad though, try owning a car that wasn't apart of Initial D..
Success guardian... Successsssssss..

xslowpokex
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby xslowpokex » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:57 pm

I think the club is just seeing a change at the moment, but i believe in the near future C4AG will see a return but in a different way. The reason i say this is because the 86 is stepping into "classic car" territory, just like many cult cars before it, like the bmw 2002, datsun 510, rx3, 240z....all these cars went through that change from being a competative inexpensive motorsports platform...to now being expensive classic cars that most people would rather restore and preserve than race. And i know the thought of restoring and preserving an 86 instead of racing makes some 86ers wanna barf, but it is happening just like many other car before it. So i think C4AG will see more action in the future but in a different direction...

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:15 pm

xslowpokex wrote:I think the club is just seeing a change at the moment, but i believe in the near future C4AG will see a return but in a different way. The reason i say this is because the 86 is stepping into "classic car" territory, just like many cult cars before it, like the bmw 2002, datsun 510, rx3, 240z....all these cars went through that change from being a competative inexpensive motorsports platform...to now being expensive classic cars that most people would rather restore and preserve than race. And i know the thought of restoring and preserving an 86 instead of racing makes some 86ers wanna barf, but it is happening just like many other car before it. So i think C4AG will see more action in the future but in a different direction...

Very valid point. Never really considered that but it makes sense. It's like it's kind of stuck between stages

CloudStrife wrote:Have you guys ever been involved with Hondas, Acuras, etc. etc.? 240s? There are so many worse communities out there. From my experience I love every second of owning an 86. There are so many "do it yourselfers" compared to previous chassis I've owned. It's hard to maintain these cars as a daily driver. The parts can be a little hard to come across ( Although I don't think so) and the chassis is much different than most 90s JDM (think of the multilink rear and front spindle/hub alone).

I dunno, I just get so annoyed because I've made a lot of friends here and everyone who talks to me about my car is super cool and down-to-earth. It's been the best experience I've had with a chassis.

Touche, I agree. I was big into the Honda scene in Highschool, then briefly in the 240sx and RX7 scene later, and the ae86 by far is the best. I think it goes back to what slowpoke said about it being more of a classic car now. Like you said, it's a hard chassis to maintain, set aside how rare ae86s are now. That alone weeds out a lot of the immaturity you see in other scenes like Honda or S-chassis. The ae86 crowd is definitely more of a tight-knit community rather than a scene which is nice.
[I have no idea what I'm doing]

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:28 am

Not many OG members come by that often..... I've tried to keep posting my port work here... responses/interesting feedback has fallen off :(

A BIG blow recently came to pass with photo-sucket requiring payment to post..... :evil:

As to the current crop of younger participants.... I've been involved in 4AGs for 23 years now :o

An additional thought........ remember when people use to BASH newbies because they DIDN'T search........ now they wonder where the activity is...... :lol: I'm guessing they learned how to search :ugeek:

;)
OST Cyl head porting, - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=300

Building a great engine takes knowing the end... before you begin :ugeek:

Enjoy Life... its the only one you get!

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:23 am

oldeskewltoy wrote:Not many OG members come by that often..... I've tried to keep posting my port work here... responses/interesting feedback has fallen off :(

A BIG blow recently came to pass with photo-sucket requiring payment to post..... :evil:

As to the current crop of younger participants.... I've been involved in 4AGs for 23 years now :o

An additional thought........ remember when people use to BASH newbies because they DIDN'T search........ now they wonder where the activity is...... :lol: I'm guessing they learned how to search :ugeek:

;)

True story. I spent many many years searching prior to making an account Lol.

Yeah the photobucket thing sucks, hardcore. I stopped using it several years ago when it got over-run with ads. Flickr is a good option if you have a yahoo account. Thats what I've been using

aukword1
Club4AG Expert

Postby aukword1 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:52 am

I saw a younger guy driving a panda hatchback yesterday and asked him if he was on club4ag. He had no idea what I was talking about. I'd say its possible that not a lot of people know about how pivotal these forums are and were for the AE86 community. Time to educate people!

Jeonsah
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jeonsah » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:45 pm

oldeskewltoy wrote:

;)

^^^ that is awesome!

On another note...I feel like this forum constantly getting smashed by epic events... i.e. website crashing, website being restructured, and now photobucket. Will it ever end lol?

grappletech
Club4AG Expert

Postby grappletech » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:03 pm

There is always "natural disasters" on these boards. I really miss these forums as I would save the posts and read them later. This was in Iraq where I had crappy internet and made amazing friends here i.e Jeonsah. I really plan on telling others about the BBS sites, mainly this one. I hope we can bring this community together!
87 GTS Coupe stock and Super Duper Clean
87 GTS Coupe Beams 3sge (under construction cuz I'm slow and lazy and broke-FML)
87 SR5 Coupe Shell. (Sold)
86 SR5 Hatch Shell
86 GT-SR5 Coupe 20v Swap

xslowpokex
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby xslowpokex » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:10 pm

grappletech wrote:There is always "natural disasters" on these boards. I really miss these forums as I would save the posts and read them later. This was in Iraq where I had crappy internet and made amazing friends here i.e Jeonsah. I really plan on telling others about the BBS sites, mainly this one. I hope we can bring this community together!
its all really up to us to keep it alive, its up to our old asses haha, cuz honestly the average age of the 86 owner is 30 and up lol, see very few youngsters and most young owners just own them briefly well atleast here in Cali. But i think car culture here in Cali in general is a shadow of what it used to be, i have 20yr old brother and he like almost all his friends dont care for a drivers license, dont care for a car(they just uber) and the closest they get to a car is in video games and movies lol its depressing : /

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:30 pm

xslowpokex wrote:its all really up to us to keep it alive, its up to our old asses haha, cuz honestly the average age of the 86 owner is 30 and up lol, see very few youngsters and most young owners just own them briefly well atleast here in Cali. But i think car culture here in Cali in general is a shadow of what it used to be, i have 20yr old brother and he like almost all his friends dont care for a drivers license, dont care for a car(they just uber) and the closest they get to a car is in video games and movies lol its depressing : /

Another valid point, but I would like to add there are new young owners coming into the 86 community that just simply aren't involved on forums like they are on Facebook and/or instagram.

Still a firm believer, as mentioned before in this thread, "if you build it, they will come."

mad_86
Club4AG Expert

Postby mad_86 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:05 pm

xslowpokex wrote:
grappletech wrote:There is always "natural disasters" on these boards. I really miss these forums as I would save the posts and read them later. This was in Iraq where I had crappy internet and made amazing friends here i.e Jeonsah. I really plan on telling others about the BBS sites, mainly this one. I hope we can bring this community together!
its all really up to us to keep it alive, its up to our old asses haha, cuz honestly the average age of the 86 owner is 30 and up lol, see very few youngsters and most young owners just own them briefly well atleast here in Cali. But i think car culture here in Cali in general is a shadow of what it used to be, i have 20yr old brother and he like almost all his friends dont care for a drivers license, dont care for a car(they just uber) and the closest they get to a car is in video games and movies lol its depressing : /

Very true! They want instant gratification nowadays or the easy way. With corollas you have to put in the time and sometimes its not gonna be easy that's when they sell them when **** starts to go bad or break.

Corollas are the best right after you fix them and take it for that test drive right after.
Last edited by mad_86 on Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Clutch_Kick_Lou
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Clutch_Kick_Lou » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:22 pm

I mostly lurk the forum now lol most of 86/*E7 dudes I kick it with live within 15 minutes of me lol
☆ ☆ ☆ BUZZKILLER ☆ ☆ ☆

GumballF355

Postby GumballF355 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:11 pm

I’m still around! But yea, things have really slowed down.

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:24 pm

Things might be slow and small, especially around my neck of the woods, but its still alive and well!

This was a few weeks ago at a local car meet. Somehow managed to get all the KY86 owners together for once Lol. Unfortunately the white coupe was wrecked this past weekend, but the owner is well on her way to getting another one up and running.

If anyone on here is from the central KY area hit me up!!

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:15 pm

Jayrdee wrote:Things might be slow and small, especially around my neck of the woods, but its still alive and well!

This was a few weeks ago at a local car meet. Somehow managed to get all the KY86 owners together for once Lol. Unfortunately the white coupe was wrecked this past weekend, but the owner is well on her way to getting another one up and running.

If anyone on here is from the central KY area hit me up!!

Is she hot?

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:29 pm

CloudStrife wrote:Is she hot?

LOL.

... Yes

*Patiently waits until she browses the forum and sees this*

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:28 pm

Too bad she knows how to drive stick already.. Girls love when you teach em' that :P

AZNWOKZ
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby AZNWOKZ » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:31 am

There is also the reason there are less AE86 these days compare back in the day. Alot of them are getting junked, over rust, not many were in production, price increase,etc. Not many can find them. I just see the community getting tighter these days as the pool of AE86s out there getting smaller.

truenorican
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby truenorican » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:45 am

That is true, I sold an SR5 shell to a 20 year old in July, he swapped everything over from his crashed 1JZ-86 from street drifting and ended up crashing the 86 I sold him too. He replaced the door but the quarter needs some work and who knows if the chassis is damaged. I'm sure it's a fun car with a 1J but sad to see it damaged. It's up for sale now.

Kitsunami
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Kitsunami » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:37 am

xslowpokex wrote:I think the club is just seeing a change at the moment, but i believe in the near future C4AG will see a return but in a different way. The reason i say this is because the 86 is stepping into "classic car" territory, just like many cult cars before it, like the bmw 2002, datsun 510, rx3, 240z....all these cars went through that change from being a competative inexpensive motorsports platform...to now being expensive classic cars that most people would rather restore and preserve than race. And i know the thought of restoring and preserving an 86 instead of racing makes some 86ers wanna barf, but it is happening just like many other car before it. So i think C4AG will see more action in the future but in a different direction...

I'm in with the 'restore-and-preserve' category. These things are incredibly daunting to bring back to life for someone like me being simply a hobby mechanic. I'm going to enjoy the hell out of taking mine for a spin to lunch or to car meets once she's running, but you won't see me abusing or racing her, and I probably won't daily it either.

Maybe if it was 15-20 years ago when they were still fairly common.

fiveten
Club4AG Expert

Postby fiveten » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:20 am

I still go on here several times a week but mainly in the classified sections. I didn't know you guys were in Fun Talk. I'll go on here more often!
IG: profdens
IG Store: dsspeedshop

86_dorifto
Club4AG Regular

Postby 86_dorifto » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:29 pm

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread but I stumbled across it while searching the site for something and had to reply. I just thought I would respond to add some positivity to this thread too. I'm a early 20s 86 owner that semi-recently purchased a 85 zenki coupe and am super thrilled to be a part of this community. After lurking a long time and getting information about the car I finally was able to go out and buy an 86 but had to put off fixing it up due to a lack of funds. I finally have some now and hope to restore/fix it up to its glory days and make a build that would make the OGs proud. I plan on doing it the right way and am so glad that club4AG exists. I think it's really cool when I see people that still respond to threads or build threads for ideas and information. I hope to be on here more often and will try to keep you all updated on how the build is going (I'll probably post things as long as I can scrape money for parts :D )
KAZATO - 85 GTS Coupe

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:29 am

86_dorifto wrote:Sorry to resurrect a dead thread but I stumbled across it while searching the site for something and had to reply. I just thought I would respond to add some positivity to this thread too. I'm a early 20s 86 owner that semi-recently purchased a 85 zenki coupe and am super thrilled to be a part of this community. After lurking a long time and getting information about the car I finally was able to go out and buy an 86 but had to put off fixing it up due to a lack of funds. I finally have some now and hope to restore/fix it up to its glory days and make a build that would make the OGs proud. I plan on doing it the right way and am so glad that club4AG exists. I think it's really cool when I see people that still respond to threads or build threads for ideas and information. I hope to be on here more often and will try to keep you all updated on how the build is going (I'll probably post things as long as I can scrape money for parts :D )

Right there with you dude! Early 20s / new 86 owner. You should make a little build thread and post often.

aukword1
Club4AG Expert

Postby aukword1 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:16 pm

Always good to see new people joining the community. If only all the lurkers would just post every now and then, maybe the community would flourish more.

86_dorifto
Club4AG Regular

Postby 86_dorifto » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:42 am

Jayrdee wrote:
86_dorifto wrote:Sorry to resurrect a dead thread but I stumbled across it while searching the site for something and had to reply. I just thought I would respond to add some positivity to this thread too. I'm a early 20s 86 owner that semi-recently purchased a 85 zenki coupe and am super thrilled to be a part of this community. After lurking a long time and getting information about the car I finally was able to go out and buy an 86 but had to put off fixing it up due to a lack of funds. I finally have some now and hope to restore/fix it up to its glory days and make a build that would make the OGs proud. I plan on doing it the right way and am so glad that club4AG exists. I think it's really cool when I see people that still respond to threads or build threads for ideas and information. I hope to be on here more often and will try to keep you all updated on how the build is going (I'll probably post things as long as I can scrape money for parts :D )

Right there with you dude! Early 20s / new 86 owner. You should make a little build thread and post often.

I'm glad to hear it! Yeah, I definitely plan on posting often and am thinking about starting a build thread too!
KAZATO - 85 GTS Coupe

86_dorifto
Club4AG Regular

Postby 86_dorifto » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:43 am

aukword1 wrote:Always good to see new people joining the community. If only all the lurkers would just post every now and then, maybe the community would flourish more.

Agreed. I hope people post more in the future as well. It would do a lot of good.
KAZATO - 85 GTS Coupe

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:37 am

I think I see this dude posting all over FB. I'm all for someone doing a little hustle on the side for some extra cash, or liquidating old un-used stuff, but this guy is on a whole new level. Like that RHD. Its a f*cking complete car. Why is he parting that thing out?