DIY AE86 Side Skirt Install - Removable with "Nutserts"

EvoSolley
Club4AG Enthusiast

DIY AE86 Side Skirt Install - Removable with "Nutserts"

Postby EvoSolley » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:14 am

If anyone here has been following my build log, my latest post was about installing Retro-Spec oem replica side skirts for the AE86. I figured it might be a good resource here in the "DIY, do it yourself projects and tricks" section of the forum as well. The goal for this install, was to make the side skirts completely removable, as well as installing them in such a way to minimize the chance of rust in the future. I accomplished this by using these things called "nutserts/rivnuts/rivet nuts" This same technique can be applied to mounting fender flares, wings, body panels, and interior bits that need removable mounting. Here is the video below:

jondee86

Re: DIY AE86 Side Skirt Install - Removable with "Nutserts"

Postby jondee86 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:02 am

Great DIY video man... love your work !!! If I ever decide to put some side skirts
on my car I'll be using your vid as a guide.

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

aukword1
Club4AG Expert

Postby aukword1 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:15 am

Very nice, I enjoy your videos a lot! Side skirts are the last body pieces I need to put on my car and your video came just in time. Never thought of using rivnuts. Good stuff man, keep it up!

AE86Kai
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby AE86Kai » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:53 pm

Another great DIY video. I used same tool in the past for installing FC3S mirrors. Right tool make DIY jobe EASIER & SAFER!
I also like all the DETAILS that you are performing such as painting and using sealer on the holes.
I am looking forward to see the next video...subscribed. (yes, the red button is showing on the screen.... :P )

PS: I was also surprised to see the fitment of replica skirts. My old OEM replica skirts did not fit that well that I ended up getting the OEM.

EvoSolley
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby EvoSolley » Tue May 02, 2017 6:05 am

jondee86 wrote:Great DIY video man... love your work !!! If I ever decide to put some side skirts
on my car I'll be using your vid as a guide.

Cheers... jondee86

Awesome, glad you enjoyed it! Let me know if you have any questions, if you ever decide to install a set :D

aukword1 wrote:Very nice, I enjoy your videos a lot! Side skirts are the last body pieces I need to put on my car and your video came just in time. Never thought of using rivnuts. Good stuff man, keep it up!

Thanks man, I appreciate it! Good luck on your install, what skirts are you going with?

AE86Kai wrote:Another great DIY video. I used same tool in the past for installing FC3S mirrors. Right tool make DIY jobe EASIER & SAFER!
I also like all the DETAILS that you are performing such as painting and using sealer on the holes.
I am looking forward to see the next video...subscribed. (yes, the red button is showing on the screen.... :P )

PS: I was also surprised to see the fitment of replica skirts. My old OEM replica skirts did not fit that well that I ended up getting the OEM.

Thanks for the kind words! It feels great knowing people are getting something out of these videos. Makes it all worth it in the end 8-) . I hate drilling extra holes into any car, so I may have gone a bit overboard on sealing them shut. But if that means no rust down the road, I'm all for it! haha

As for fitment of the rep side skirts, I'm definitely happy with it. That being said, the end caps are going to require I bit more "finagling" to get them to fit right.