AE86 Cruise Control

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

AE86 Cruise Control

Postby CloudStrife » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:42 pm

So basically, this will be a little messy. The thread started with me asking general interest about cruise control, wanting to install it on my 86' USDM GT-S that did not come factory-equipped.

Finding out there was no information, other than DORIFTO DELETEOOO, I guess I'll just turn this into a how-to on retro-fitting cruise capability.

Stay tuned :)
Last edited by CloudStrife on Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Success guardian... Successsssssss..

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Re: AE86 Cruise Control

Postby CloudStrife » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:53 am

I've found this in a random a** post; I added pictures between the list of parts that I copied from this thread:

http://www.dorikaze.net/showthread.php? ... n-the-AE86

and pictures copied from here: http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=73054:

Parts needed:

Cruise stalk
Cruise computer
Cruise actuator bracket and linkage
Cruise actuator
Cruise throttle cable (pedal to linkage)
No picture found
Cruise throttle cable (linkage to TB)
No picture found
Vacuum pump (86+ models only)
Vacuum switch (4/86+ models only)
Clutch switch
No picture found
Brake switch
No picture found
Lots of bolts, and a couple other brackets, etc

No picture found

Now I'm not looking for the cruise "box" option (that mounts in the coin holder slot to the left of the steering wheel) personally, I'm going after utilizing the cruise stalk that mounts on the combination switch; I'm not sure if the "box" type was used on the earlier models, later models, or "release" models..

"Stalk" type:

"Box" type:

Another "box" type:

Here are two things I am wondering:

How similar is the AW11 cruise system to the AE88/86 systems?
What is the difference between using a "stalk" type, and using the "box" type? (Seeing as how the stalk type only uses what seems to be physical inputs, the wiring that goes to the stalk or box might be different, but whatever they plug into should have the same connector type as they more than likely use the same control mechanism and plug in the same..).

Edit: nevermind, the stalk and box type have different connectors. The Stalk type looks like it plugs right into the cruise ECU, or maybe the stock wiring harness that the turn signals normally use?
Last edited by CloudStrife on Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:20 am

Here is a video of a cruise control removal (I don't understand why everyone wants to rip out their options :()

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQBt5vJ0bCwa

very insightful, but I would like to make a diagram with information.

SgtRauksauff
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby SgtRauksauff » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:31 am

my GTS already had it yanked when I bought it, my '86 SR5 coupe doesn't appear to have it (I don't know if SR5's even had the option), and I honestly don't know if my '84 SR5 hatch has it or not, I haven't even looked. I've got a cool wiring diagram book, I'll have to see if there are any useable schematics of the cruise control system. in it.

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:37 am

Thanks Sarge! This is me mostly just throwing all the information in a thread in a disorganized chaotic kind of way, trying to make a good thread about cruise control.

In my Electronic Wiring Diagrams, there are about 2-3 pages on cruise, but it's mostly just schematics. If you could post those though, that would be great :).

And I'm almost certain SR5's had them as an option. The base model of this chassis is odd, it's not like the DX protege; the SR5's I've seen with Sunroofs, Cruise, and a couple other usually "Luxury" options.

GooGooMuck

Postby GooGooMuck » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:41 pm

Yeah you could get all sorts of stuff in the SR5.
My 1984 came with cruise control, with the stalk and a different speed controller, which did not match the Zenki GTS harness that went in with the 4age(needs the purple/grey like pictured) My SR5 also had a sunroof power mirrors and the "sport interior" So full GTS spec blue Zenki 2-tone "fuzzy" seats, and all the molded GTS interior.

I am part way through getting my cruise system working post 4age swap, I just grabbed a throttle cable to go from the actuator to the throttle body from a V20 Toyota Camry 5sp that looks long enough.

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:16 pm

CloudStrife wrote:Here is a video of a cruise control removal (I don't understand why everyone wants to rip out their options :()

It is frustrating watching someone destroy their 86 to "drift" around the track for a couple seasons only to sell it shortly after for peanuts for something with more power. They'll destroy their car to lose a few pounds but eat cheeseburgers all day.

They say having an accelerator cable directly to the tb allows for better throttle response but it's probably miniscule and not worth removing the system. But I don't know for sure.

xslowpokex
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby xslowpokex » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:42 pm

notnilc20 wrote:
CloudStrife wrote:Here is a video of a cruise control removal (I don't understand why everyone wants to rip out their options :()

It is frustrating watching someone destroy their 86 to "drift" around the track for a couple seasons only to sell it shortly after for peanuts for something with more power. They'll destroy their car to lose a few pounds but eat cheeseburgers all day.

They say having an accelerator cable directly to the tb allows for better throttle response but it's probably miniscule and not worth removing the system. But I don't know for sure.
lol haha so true, i think 90% of 86 have something gutted lol, either under the hood like no ac, no ps, no cruise control, no emissions controls, or no interior haha, a friend from years ago was trying to make his 86 a more nimble track car by gutting it and he was happy he didnt sell or throw away anything , he reinstalled everything haha, the performance advantage was insignificant, actually worse because the car was noisier in the cabin where it was distracting and he noticed his suspension felt bouncier no matter how much he tried to adjust it..as for cruise control, out here in Los angeles its useless haha, maybe useful for you guys that have wide open roads haha.

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:43 pm

SO..

You know you're screwed when the only information you're seeking leads you back to your own help requested thread LOL.

I've been pretty busy but have picked up messing with the 86 again.

Here is what I've found:

-The MK1 MR2 cruise control enabled combination switch will fit and work no problem with the standard Corolla GT-S/SR5 stalk placement on the steering column. This is good because apparently the factory AE86 cruise stalk is prone to breaking and very fragile over time. Also MR2 parts about 10x easier to source ;).

-The most important items you'll need are the stalk (or cruise control "box" that is shown in the first post) to actuate the controls, the cruise computer or "speed controller", "actuator assembly" (with bracket), "pump assembly" (with bracket), Cruise specific brake switch (relay), and cruise specific clutch switch (relay). The rest is linkage, vacuum tubing, wiring, and little odds and ends etc.

Now for parts sourcing, it can be a total bitch. But there are some parts that are found across different trims and models. The biggest difference here is that the latest model 86s (forgot what you guys call them), have an EXTRA part that helps control the cruise system.

In this first parts diagram, you can see that the 4-AC (SR5) models came with different parts and orientation, whereas the 4-AGEU (GT-S) variants came with slightly different parts and orientation. Some parts, like the [88200D] "ACTUATOR ASSY, CRUISE CONTROL", can be used across both trims (and more than likely other models like 4runner).

Also to note in this diagram, that I occasionally see the [88250A] "PUMP ASSY, CRUISE CONTROL" for sale without the necessary bracket [88291], which you could probably fab something up/make a ghetto rig, but it's more of a pain. Remember that if you don't have a 4-AGEU, You might not need the bracket and/or need a different type.

This image is model specific for "(8308-8508) from 198308 to 198508, so That is the first production run of the AE86 from 1983 August - 1985 August.

Now this image:

...Is specific to model years "(8604- ) from 198604", or models produced after April, 1986.

This is important because there was an additional part added to the cruise control system, diagram number 83391B, "SWITCH, AUTO DRIVE VACUUM", which surprisingly enough is STILL available from Toyota brand new. Never ceases to amaze me what you can still get through the dealer... Lol. Anyway, I am not 100% on exactly how this secondary switch changes things, but I'm sure someone will eventually chime in/figure it out.

And lastly, the early model production 86's:

This diagram doesn't help us much, but it is labeled "(8308-8508) from 198308 to 198508.", or Produced from 1983 August - 1985 August.

In this diagram:

..We can see that we need a cruise-specific clutch switch. "[88235] SWITCH ASSY, CRUISE CONTROL(AUTO DRIVE) RELEASE", which is discontinued from Toyota. I did manage to find the switch from the part call-out here: https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/toy ... 12010.html but it is probably still out of stock.

You can also see we will need the cruise computer or, "Toyota Part No.: 88240-12101 COMPUTER ASSY, CRUISE CONTROL", which fits:

Toyota
Corolla
1986-1987
DX, GTS, SR5
4 Cyl 1.6L
4AC, 4AGEC; AE86

Now if you find this part, it will likely be a high dollar. You can get lucky on a TOFU build and someone could give it out for peanuts, but more than likely you'll be waiting awhile. The speed controller for the AE86 chassis is going for $150.00 USD on Ebay right now.

Now the MK1 MR2 Cruise computer, "88240-17030 COMPUTER ASSY, CRUISE CONTROL", has exactly the same pin number on the connector, and the same first call out. The only obvious difference is that the bracket for mounting the control is completely different than the AE86. The MR2 controllers also go for pennies second hand. I have no idea if they will just plug and play unless someone swaps out an MR2 controller on their factory cruise-equipped corolla, but I assume it likely won't.

Here is the parts diagram for the MK1 MR2:

Notice how our friend, "88200D" is used across the MR2 chassis as well. The bracket is more than likely different, but you can save some coin looking for a "MR2" actuator assy.

That's about it for now.

Here are links for everything:
http://parts.lakelandtoyota.com/showAss ... ring=drive
http://parts.lakelandtoyota.com/showAss ... ccelerator
http://parts.lakelandtoyota.com/showAss ... ccelerator
http://parts.lakelandtoyota.com/showAss ... evel=18194
http://parts.lakelandtoyota.com/showAss ... ing=cruise

I'll get into brackets and linkage when I have a better understanding :)
Last edited by CloudStrife on Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:41 pm

xslowpokex wrote:
notnilc20 wrote:

lol haha so true, i think 90% of 86 have something gutted lol, either under the hood like no ac, no ps, no cruise control, no emissions controls, or no interior haha, a friend from years ago was trying to make his 86 a more nimble track car by gutting it and he was happy he didnt sell or throw away anything , he reinstalled everything haha, the performance advantage was insignificant, actually worse because the car was noisier in the cabin where it was distracting and he noticed his suspension felt bouncier no matter how much he tried to adjust it..as for cruise control, out here in Los angeles its useless haha, maybe useful for you guys that have wide open roads haha.

LOL thanks slowpoke, yeah I stopped ripping things out when I realized you can't keep talking up how good these 90s jap cars are if you gut the interior and they are still slow.. nobody cares about turns haha.

Out here in FL it is ALL open roads. Everything is freeway and there is almost never traffic or congestion since everywhere is pretty much rural unless your in the city. For me, if I go out downtown in Tampa or Miami there is a lot of 5th gear driving (1-4 hours) and my foot gets tired haha.

I was re-watching the DORIFTO 86 build with his cruise "delete" and I wanted to yell at the computer screen. Just cutting wires and cables because he's too lazy to do things right. At times his girlfriend says "should you really cut that? why not just take it off???" -__- dude's gf is a better mechanic than him! lol.

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:13 pm

Accelerator linkage for SR5/GT-S from:
August 1983 - end

Accelerator linkage (w/ auto drive (cruise control)) for SR5/GT-S from:
August 1983 - end

The best thing here is that you do not need different pedal, firewall grommet, mounts, or cables going from the accelerator to the TB. The only difference with cruise equipped 86s, is that the throttle cable goes to the actuator, instead of the TB, and then a secondary throttle cable goes from actuator to TB.

The main thing you will need here is the secondary throttle cable (could probably just find another non-cruise cable and fab a small securing bracket up), vacuum tubing, a vacuum "T, spring, and brackets and supports for the cables/vacuum lines. If you are using a cruise computer and components from a AE86 before April 1986 (or whenever the changeover was); then you will likely not need everything in the earlier parts diagrams as I discussed before.

This is pretty easy, as most the JDM cars I've come across had completely different pedal assemblies, grommets, securing fasteners, etc.; making the job much less practical.

Think that is pretty much it for cables, vacuum, and linkage. Will post the pictures of connectors tomorrow.

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:08 pm

SO...

You will need/should have (3) important female plugs on the chassis wiring harness.

SWITCH, CRUISE CONTROL. MATSUSHITA (Cruise Control Computer)
*Located under the cluster on the driver's side knee bolster. Could be taped up.

SWITCH, AUTO DRIVE VACUUM (86+ harness vacuum switch, AKA MAGIC BOX)
*Located on the passenger side of the engine bay; near A/C idle up.

ACTUATOR ASSY, CRUISE CONTROL
*Located on the driver side engine bay, if you have P/S it will be hard to find. Tucked near the fuse box.

If you don't have these, putting cruise in your car will be impossible.
Just kidding, but you'll have to do a lot of wiring.

I'm not sure if all chassis come from the factory with these plugs. Maybe others can chime in :)

shagymc
Club4AG Expert

Postby shagymc » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:01 am

This thread is really interesting. Keep up the good work!

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:27 pm

So here are the differences between the factory non-cruise brake switch and the cruise-equipped brake switch relay.

These mount on the top of the pedals, in conjunction with the rubber grommets which create a bump protection/clearance.

Non-cruise:

Cruise:

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:39 pm

So been super busy. Had surgery and was in and out of the hospital. lol

Anyway, I scored an 87 GT-S cruise computer, the vacuum pump, and the actuator assembly w/ bracket. The actuator assembly is taking forever to get here however, as the parts source, "nostalgicparts" is really lagging. Apparently it's one of those one-man side-job sites and they even offered canceling my order after 2-3 weeks of non-response -__-.

The other issue I'm having is sourcing this auto drive switch.
https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/toy ... 12010.html

On parts deal, it shows fitment as
"Toyota
Corolla
1984-1987
DX, GTS, SR5
4 Cyl 1.6L
4AC, 4AGEC; AE86"

So It should work on my chassis, but the vin-look up is saying it won't.. Also, there is no telling how this is supposed to mount. There are no part call-outs on the bracket with this switch.

Anywho, right now just trying to figure out how every mounts and sits. The GT-S is just now getting all intake stuff back on, so it's a big work in progress.