Strange wiring under steering column

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Strange wiring under steering column

Postby CloudStrife » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:36 pm

Alright guys,

So I've been tearing lots of stuff apart. I have a new MC coming, and I wanted to take out the old one, remove the booster, clean and paint that, and clean and paint the prop valve.

So not realizing how much stuff needs to come off to get the booster off, I set forth.. After taking out the lower dash trim, blower duct, and steering column plastics (the screws are so large it's not even funny), I started looking at the wiring on the column which seemed odd to me:

You can see in this first pic, the green wires with an orange stripe and blue stripe are cut and dangling on the left side.

In this second image, you can see the green with orange stripe is also cut on this right side, however it has been spliced into a flasher relay.

*Also in this image is a green wire, with (I believe) a yellow stripe that is cut. I accidentally cut the baby wire trying to take off heat shrink that was around this wire for no reason. Just hanging there on it, unshrunken :|

In this third image, this whole series of wires and relays (that I mentioned in the previous picture) are on the floor were not connected to anything when the steering column cover was on (they were tucked with zipties).

So I followed the speaker copper wires through the firewall into the engine bay.

They ended up near the front turn signals. In this image it is the right signal (driver's side) and splits to go over towards the left signal (passenger side).

I ended up turning on the lights, and using the blinkers. They work good, and the blinker "chimes" from the metal flasher relays work well.

I am just very confused why someone would do this... The stock system shouldn't have had a problem...

Anyone seen this before? It looks horrible.
Success guardian... Successsssssss..

shagymc
Club4AG Expert

Re: Strange wiring under steering column

Postby shagymc » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:34 am

If I had to guess, either someone was cheap and decided to wire this up because their factory flasher stopped working or they were trying to wire in bumper lights. I would track down the factory flasher plug and module and see if it works or if you at least have the plug.

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:15 pm

Thanks shag, is the factory flasher plug and module after the steering column wiring harness? Like where is it usually? I would like to fix the wires back to factory spec while I'm in there, just want to make sure.
Success guardian... Successsssssss..

shagymc
Club4AG Expert

Postby shagymc » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:51 pm

I'm pretty sure it's a 3-pin green module around the Driver kick or above it on the dash support bar. I've completely revamped my dash harness so I don't have a great reference to go off of for you, just memory. I have the Haynes manual if you need the schematic too! Good luck!

4agshoob
Club4AG Expert

Postby 4agshoob » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:53 pm

80's car alarm install.