AE86 Aero question...

jondee86

AE86 Aero question...

Postby jondee86 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:58 pm

I have been looking at what's available in the way of bolt-on aero for the AE86
as I have noticed that my car gets way too much lift at high speed. Anything over
100mph and it feels as if the front wheels are barely touching the road. And I have
noticed this add-on for the TRD wing making its appearance on a few N2 cars...

So my question is... does anyone have any data on this piece... where it can be got...
does it actually work... and any other relevant data that would make it a good idea :)

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

totta crolla
Club4AG Pro

Re: AE86 Aero question...

Postby totta crolla » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:47 am

My understanding is that the rear spoiler you show would help to stop the rear end lifting at speed and that you would need to balance it out with a deeper front air dam.

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:30 pm

Yes. I think that I should be able to get a bit of down force at the front of the
car by extending the OEM GT lower lip with a splitter plate like this....

That also offers the opportunity to enlarge the splitter into a front under tray
to reduce drag...

Haven't really got too far into this stuff yet, Just interested to see what's around
in the way of proven aero that actually helps high speed handling :)

Cheers... jondee86

SgtRauksauff
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby SgtRauksauff » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:06 pm

I've used the jdm zenki front bumper, with holes cut for brake ducting, without the lower lip. I've got up to nearly 120, almost redline in 5th on track, BIR to be specific, and have never noticed any lightness other than over some rough patches. Granted, at a track you're not at those speeds for extended periods of time, just on the straights. That being said, I've friends experimenting with Aero a lot, as they're driving some pretty big time attack events, and there are definite laptime improvements with undertrays/splitters/diffusers/wings when adjusted right. Plus it takes away that skittish feeling, and lets them push a little bit harder to get even faster.

Here's one of them at Gridlife at Road Atlanta this past summer:

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:46 pm

Thanks for the reply. At this stage my impressions are pretty subjective... I'm used
to pushing modern cars to 100mph and having them feel completely planted on the
road. When I try that with my AE86 I don't have the same feeling... more like "I hope
I don't have to change direction quickly at this speed !!!" :)

Once I get the car back on the road, I will try a bit of experimentation and do some
more digging into front aero. This is for a road car and that means nothing extreme.
Extending the front splitter looks like a good place to start, as with a bit of cunning
it should be possible to make a plate that bolts on and off as required. That plus getting
the front of the car a little closer to the ground might be all that is required.

Not really into rear wings, so I'd hope that getting a bit of downforce on the front is
all that is required to make the car feel more planted at speed.

Cheers... jondee86

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:01 pm

Minimally equipped foreign cars are worse. After ditching ac, switching to manual rack, levin front/jdm panels tge car is noticeably lighter up front and less stable at higher speeds. Even worse if the car has a mild drop, or at stock height (gasp) like me.

Rear spoiler alone will just make the problem worse. Best to start up front imo. For aero lower is always better since less air gets under the car. Use an undertray (dont throw away oem kids) since the bay acts more like a parachute without it (and radiator is lrss efficient). More flat under the car the better. Use fender liners and/or outlet vent - post wheel - on fender. Minimize air flowing through the front bumper/grille within reason; for instance, switching to a kouki levin grill (vs slatted zenki) would be an improvement. Of course a spoiler/splitter on bumper will be beneficial.

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:32 pm

This is a pic of the car as it sits right now...

Those are 14" wheels with 185/55 tires, although I do have a couple of sets of 13" wheels
with 185/60 tires. I'm using the Espelir blue springs as I like to have a bit of suspension
travel, and the car is not used for drifting or any hardcore racing. In saying that, going to
slightly stiffer and shorter springs is not out of the question. Our road laws require at
least 4" clear under the frame rails, and I'm not far off that now, so there is not a lot of
scope for going any lower.

While I don't have one on the car at the moment, I did notice that I have an OEM undertray
in my boxes of spare bits and pieces. I'll have to get it out and see what is involved in fitting
it to the car.

Cheers... jondee86