Your completely predictable AE86 Build

eclipse stig

Your completely predictable AE86 Build

Postby eclipse stig » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:11 am

Removed from forum
Last edited by eclipse stig on Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Deuce Cam

Re: Your completely predictable AE86 Build

Postby Deuce Cam » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:40 pm

Aw man those SSR's though...

What's the hangup on the top hats and coilovers?

In the first pic with the barn I thought to myself, 'hmmm I wouldn't park the car that close because a gust of wind might bring it down.' Crazy it actually happened.

Great start btw.

eclipse stig

Postby eclipse stig » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:27 pm

The bushings on the T3 part is a smaller size, so it doesnt create a clean mate to the coilover. and the bottom part of the PBM part is a larger diameter at the top compared to the T3 so I cant combine the two at this point. I have a lathe to grind the pbm one down but I dont want to take so much off that I grind it all the way to the bushing.

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:07 pm

Interesting. It looks like the pbm top hat has a bearing in it, yes? (The piece on the left of the T3 camber plate.) One doesn't need a bearing in the top hat AND camber plate, although I'll admit that I'm not familiar with S13 shocks. Using both may not work since the height of both bushings might be taller than the threads on the top of the shock.

Without the pbm top hat, does the t3 camber plate (and the little bushing sleeve fitting that slides inside the center bearing) fit the top of the S13 shock without sliding over the shock shaft?

What's the inner diameter of the coilover springs?

You might be better off sourcing different top hats. T3 sells them, but iirc, they only work with 2.5"/65 mm ID springs. (I'd contact them to clarify.) They're floating top hats so you'd have to make sure the shock shaft is small enough to pass through the center hole.

https://technotoytuning.com/toyota/ae86 ... 86-corolla

eclipse stig

Postby eclipse stig » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:39 pm

OHHHHHH I think there is some confusion, I said top hats in the beginning. I meant camber plates or strut mounts), but for some reason I called them top hats. My bad, sorry for the confusion. Yes, the pbm camber plate has the same style pillow ball as the T3 plate, but they are different sizes both diameter and depth and held in different ways. The T3 pillowball doesnt make a good connection with the top part of the coilover, there is a metal piece that slides nicely into the PBM top hat but is much larger diameter wise then the T3. I shouldnt have to touch the top hats at all I think, but trying to help you help me, I drew this up real quick. I didnt mention it, but another issue is the metal piece pointed to by the red arrow. The parallell lines represent the fit between the camber plates and the metal piece. The yellow box is what the metal piece looks like without the camber plate on, and the black is how it would fit if the T3 plate was put on. I hope it helps.

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:01 pm

:oops: I see now, my bad. The previous pics were showing the pbm camber block (piece that houses the heim joint) trying to be mounted to the t3 top plate (part that bolts to the strut tower). Gotcha.

Trimming the pbm camber block and/or t3 plate might be the best bet as you mentioned. It doesn't look too far off in the pic.

Do the camber adjustment fasteners on the pbm piece line up with the slots on the t3 top plate?

eclipse stig

Postby eclipse stig » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:50 pm

The holes are close but the pbm hardware is all smaller, so i think redrilling holes on the pbm strut mounts for the T3 beefier harware, Ill see when Im back from school haha

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:19 am

The smaller hardware might not be a problem in that case. Maybe the washers from the t3 fasteners could be used if possible/needed. When tightened they won't shift. However, if the head of the fastener is narrower than the slot it probably isn't a good idea to use the smaller hardware.

corolla_lover
Club4AG Regular

Postby corolla_lover » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:25 am

HAHAHAHA i have to say i thought you had some pictures of my own shell when i bought it, it is the same color, rust in the same places, stickers in the windshield in the same place and with s13 wheels on it. Not to mention i am in southeastern PA! I really had to do a double take to make sure you didnt actually steal my car.

eclipse stig

Postby eclipse stig » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:36 am

Send me some pics or something I want to see hahaha aparently my shell had gotten passed around quite a bit before I bought it, I know like 3 of the previous owners hahaha

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:54 pm

your build is coming along nicely......i too
am going through the process of restoring a long forgotten gem.

corolla_lover
Club4AG Regular

Postby corolla_lover » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:23 pm

haha i emailed you pictures, hope you still use that email account!!

Thursday7

Postby Thursday7 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:59 am

Finish this thing Dood!!

Your build is nicer than I thought.

eclipse stig

Postby eclipse stig » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:31 pm

Well, change in plans. I sold the car and bought two more. Goodbye shell, I wish it a clean dismemberment.

Now for the new ones.

black GTS
caged
front end chopped off
pbm coils
battle version 4 link and panhard
traction brackets
LSD rear
adjustable LCAs
NRCA
camber caster plates
braided brake lines
battle version tension rods
bride rep seats
dori dori reps with new tires
front fenders and other damaged body pannels as well as a bunch of interior parts.

Tonkism

Postby Tonkism » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:05 pm

Looking forward to the rest of this build!
Where in PA are you?

JDM20VAE101
Club4AG Expert

Postby JDM20VAE101 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:14 pm

Nice one! Looks solid shell!
Ivan's 4AGE BT 20V 6Spd LSD Build Thread
Just Scroll Down & Enjoy!
http://www.club4ag.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4529
Thanks For Looking! :D